DCI Best Color Guard Awards....

I believe we did have high guard in 76 and believe Phantom beat us in 77...although I could be remembering wrong.  I had thought we won all 5 years that I marched except 78, and that I thought we had lost to Phantom not SCV.

Well, this is interesting. I did a Google search and found an old RAMD posting, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. The posting lists 27th Lancers winning best guard in '75, Blue Devils winning in '76, and unfortunately, '77 is blank. And she even has a question mark by one of the guards she marched, Santa Clara, in '78. (She also marched Blue Devils' guard.) So I'm not sure that this does anything to solve the mystery: Championship Color Guards @ DCI

I absolutely know in 78 SCV took top guard. Oh wait that's not the one you're questioning because you saw the yearbook and the liner notes.

I believe Maggie may be able to recall 75. Maggie are you out there for Philly 1975?

I'm home now and will get out my 76 & 77 yearbooks.

Thanks for filling in!!

P.S. She also has 79 incorrect as 79 & 80 are fact. She has BD-? for 79 with a question mark....I would not go by this list! Geoffs is more accurate I believe and he also has the later years filled in!

Edited by LancerFi

I'm ashamed to say that I don't remember anything about best guard in '75. We were too upset with the loss to really care I think. It seems to me that in those early years of DCI finals they didn't make a big too doo about best guard because they kept changing how "we" fit into the scoring system. I remember that every once in a while Pete would approach us after the regular season shows with a big grin on his face and said we made a "10". He wasn't very pleased when we got less than that though.

I remember we had a perfect GE score at 75 finals but I don't remember winning the guard caption. In fact, I remember once when we did win "high guard" at some show we all looked at it like it was the consolation prize ... Miss Congeniality or something. I don't think it meant much back then ... or maybe just not to us. I looked in the yearbooks I have for 74 and 75 and they don't say anything.

PS: Hey Maggie!!!

I absolutely know in 78 SCV took top guard. Oh wait that's not the one you're questioning because you saw the yearbook and the liner notes.

And I took my own notes at finals that year; Santa Clara is who I wrote down for best guard.

I just thought it was funny that the poster marched guard in Santa Clara that year, yet couldn't clearly remember her own guard getting the guard award. (She also marched Blue Devils' guard in '82, and she has a question mark by them that year, too.) I would've thought that would stand in one's memory. But now I'm reading jojo's comments and thinking, "Well, maybe not."

Edited by byline

Yes, winning it at every show kind of got to be monotonous, and at finals when they annnounced it we used to think the same thing. But I think it was just as important then as it is now.

When you win it it's the Miss Congeniality, but when you don't, I don't think it is....or something like that! :huh:

And I took my own notes at finals that year; Santa Clara is who I wrote down for best guard.

I just thought it was funny that the poster marched guard in Santa Clara that year, yet couldn't clearly remember her own guard getting the guard award. (She also marched Blue Devils' guard in '82, and she has a question mark by them that year, too.) I would've thought that would stand in one's memory. But now I'm reading jojo's comments and thinking, "Well, maybe not."

Sue, Last summers SCV Alumni Corps, those gals that marched in the summer of 1981...... only 1 remember/knew we had won high guard at finals that year. Winning the 'big one' was all we heard, and Blue Devils Guard coming over with hugs and red flowers.......... :)

When you win it it's the Miss Congeniality, but when you don't, I don't think it is....or something like that!

Yup. I would've been thrilled just to make finals. :(

And, of course, we all know about Oakland and the drum trophy they didn't get to take home in '77. If the corps had made finals, I can't imagine any Oakie ever forgetting that caption award.

LOL, I was sitting next to three girls from the SCV alumni guard in Madison last year, as we got to talking I found out two marched in '81, and they forgot they were awarded "high guard" I of course being me, joked how 27th deserved it, and it was a gift, the bed knobs and hula hoops were silly (all jokes, they got it, and laughed hard....no flames please) but they were quite nice, and were flattered someone remembered...even though they didn't.

~G~

In fact, I remember once when we did win "high guard" at some show we all looked at it like it was the consolation prize ... Miss Congeniality or something.  I don't think it meant much back then ... or maybe just not to us. 

PS:  Hey Maggie!!!

I agree JoJo (Hey Girl!!). Not to demean the winning of High Guard because we all know that it takes alot of hard work to achieve that honor. But, I think that to SCV we were always in the state of mind that as Horns, Drums and Colorguard we were one. As SCV, we won as one or lost as one. I don't know, maybe I'm just looking back with a different point of view now.

Edited by MsBusDriver