Best DCI Mellohpone section of all time?

WoofInTheWoods

125 members have voted

1. 1. Best DCI Mellohpone section of all time?

• Blue Devils
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Cadets
    • Cavaliers
    • Crossmen
    • Glassmen
    • Madison Scouts
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Star of Indiana

I voted for the Cadets simply because they have had such an awesome mello section for such a sustained period of time.  Star had a kick-### mello section during their time, but...well, theyre not here anymore.  Star only sustained this for about 6 or 7 years while the Cadets have done it continuously for the last 13 at least.

• Like 2

I voted for the Cadets simply because they have had such an awesome mello section for such a sustained period of time.  Star had a kick-### mello section during their time, but...well, theyre not here anymore.  Star only sustained this for about 6 or 7 years while the Cadets have done it continuously for the last 13 at least.

Star or Cadets.  But the last two years of Cadets have sold me on their lines.  Just listen to the beginning of their show in 2001.  

I listen to that ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Terri

Even though Star had a good line in 91, SCV has to be the best ever. For 4 people, the stuff they played...

Phenomenal!

• 9 years later...

Star. I have said over and over there are a few individuals (0ne in Particular from Garfield Cadets) who were great mello soloists. but far and away - and that one double cross bit which had members of Star scampering around like field mice (and playing the whole while!)has astounded me not to mention the charts.

Gotta be Star - here or not - their legacy is legend!

Puppet

• Like 1

I think you should divide this poll up by decades. The demand, make up, arrangements, and approach to the mello have changed over time.

And I am going to give a write in vote for Jim Prime Jr. No he isn't exactly a mello section, but it was his arrangements and those of his students such as Michael Klesch that allowed the mellos of Cadets, Star, and many others to soar. Nowadays lots of mello lines are 'running while running' so to speak, but Jimmer was writing that cool $% decades ago. Those runs in Rocky Point Holiday in 83' rocked my world. My trumpet became a second class citizen and I been a Mello to the bone ever since.

Edited by mchromik
  • Like 2