The boy in the wheelchair

Has anyone known someone with mental issues to do DCI/WGi/DCA?

I think that would describe almost all of us :cool:

• Like 1

Has anyone known someone with mental issues to do DCI/WGi/DCA?

I have manic depression :laugh: but I think I recall an autistic person marching DCA last year?

I do know of instances where individuals with autism have performed in Alumni corps and also in scholastic competitions with nary a hitch. It takes good communication and understanding educators, and the experiences have been positive for everyone who has been involved in some way or another.

Keep in mind Autism can be "invisible". You may never realize the person you've met has it.

To go with the running joke, in a friendly and more serious vein, a good friend told me once that autism is a spectral disorder, and we're all on that spectrum somewhere. Truth in that! :satisfied:

I think this is a positive discussion- one we would not have had perhaps as few as 5-10 years ago. I think if no one has ever taken a contract with a DCI Open or World class organization or a DCA corps that has ASD, I think the question will be when, not if- and it will be a good thing for everyone, and the activity.