i have a grudge with the dcp forum staff

My sense of humor was laughing at your post about how the rule changes didn't deserve their own thread.

It made total sense, people who didn't want to hear the complaints and bitter fights going on about them, could just read the DCI forum without wondering in there, otherwise most of the threads would have been consumed by the constant barrage of replies in them.

That meant that non-rule change threads could still be viewed on Page 1, as well as the popular threads about rule changes also being on Page 1 in their own sub-forum.

Just like I can understand why you need to ask to get into the OT area. People didn't want to have to sort through all the OT topics when they click the View New Topics, so they made it so that the default is you don't see them, and if you ask to see them, its open to you.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My sense of humor was laughing at your post about how the rule changes didn't deserve their own thread.

It made total sense, people who didn't want to hear the complaints and bitter fights going on about them, could just read the DCI forum without wondering in there, otherwise most of the threads would have been consumed by the constant barrage of replies in them.

So then every time something controversial comes up, we should dump that into a separate area so as not to disturb those that want to discuss other things? When six corps inevitably have narration in their shows this season, will we have all those threads corralled in one place, separate from the "main" discussion? When '09 arrives and people have synths in the pit and play their solos through the amps, will we do this all over again, just to avoid "all that arguing" disturbing the "main discussion"? All that arguing over this kind of stuff IS THE MAIN DISCUSSION! Of course that discussion is going to take over the boards. Just like if they made a change, like let's say, a +1 game in college football to decide the national champ, that would take over the discussion on a college football board.

I'm sorry, I just don't see why that conversation needed to be mitigated like that. That, and the fact that the dumped other threads in there that were NOT related to the rule change, just to (IMO) get them out of the way. It just became a dumping ground for every thread that was causing any heated discussion on the board.

Also, I'm not trying to start a fight with you--fighting on the internet is dumb, just like most of my attempts at humor!

Edited by monoemono

I frequented that forum. Please give me examples of dumped threads.

Also, if my memory serves me correct, it was the membership on these boards that originally asked for the rules to be placed into a separate sub-forum, to make things easier to read.

LIKE, OMG....I have to click another link to see the post I want to talk about, it's the END OF THE WORLD. Let me start complaining about EVERYTHING because it's the off season and I need something to talk about.

I'm sorry, but for the most part the mods here are doing a good job. The amount of threads closed has shrunk enormously and it is only when the thread is so off-topic it has no hopes of coming back, or it is so filled with personal attacks does it get closed.

I also have to agree with this post, for the most part.

All of the condescending crap about "If you don't like it, talk to us about it offline", along with the whole "terms of service" BS is just that ... BS. You try to talk to them offline and you get more BS.

This is a community, and the community members, not some autocratic bunch of martinets, should determine standards of behavior and what constitutes acceptable content.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

I frequented that forum. Please give me examples of dumped threads.

Also, if my memory serves me correct, it was the membership on these boards that originally asked for the rules to be placed into a separate sub-forum, to make things easier to read.

LIKE, OMG....I have to click another link to see the post I want to talk about, it's the END OF THE WORLD. Let me start complaining about EVERYTHING because it's the off season and I need something to talk about.

I'm sorry, but for the most part the mods here are doing a good job. The amount of threads closed has shrunk enormously and it is only when the thread is so off-topic it has no hopes of coming back, or it is so filled with personal attacks does it get closed.

I'll go back and try to dig some up, if you want. I'm not sure if that's possible now that it's merged back in. I frequented that forum, too. Because it was the one where the MAIN DISCUSSION about drum corps was happening at the time. And no, it's not "LIKE, OMG, WTF?, I HAS 2 KLIK MORE LINKZ? 2 MUCH WURK!". There are certain dynamics to message boards, and if you frequent others, as you probably do, you will know that it's kind of the same all over. There are the main threads where most of the discussion happens, and the places where things go to die. That's why people try to slip things into the main forums that may not belong there (this thread, for example), because if it hangs there, they have WAY more of a chance to get some discussion out of it. So to me, moving that stuff out to a separate place WAS a way to hang it out to dry, even if it was one click away. If the idea came from the membership, it certainly didn't come from ALL of the membership. Was there a vote? I don't remember one.

I don't understand how its out hung out to dry. I never go into the Junior forum anymore, nor do I go into this forum, even if I see there is a new topic or reply. I see it because I click on View New Posts, and it shows me all new posts since the last time I was in here, and since I have marked all forums as read, its a nice, easy, and clean way of seeing everything going on in DCP, usually within 3 pages (40 posts per page.)

Why don't you take up a crusade then in the junior forum, you know, where all those cretins hang out according to scotty, and inform everyone of the View New Posts link, so that they can see everything on DCP.

I don't understand how its out hung out to dry. I never go into the Junior forum anymore, nor do I go into this forum, even if I see there is a new topic or reply. I see it because I click on View New Posts, and it shows me all new posts since the last time I was in here, and since I have marked all forums as read, its a nice, easy, and clean way of seeing everything going on in DCP, usually within 3 pages (40 posts per page.)

Why don't you take up a crusade then in the junior forum, you know, where all those cretins hang out according to scotty, and inform everyone of the View New Posts link, so that they can see everything on DCP.

Wow, I don't even know where to start on this one. You're going to attack my post with someone else's words? I don't even have anything to say about that. :worthy:

You surf how you surf, other people do it differently. Threads were moved in to that area about woodwinds, narration, hashmark-gate, amps (not a "new rule change"--an old one), Bb bugles (again). If it wasn't an attempt to cool the fire of these discussions, it sure did a good job of it. You know, I know, and the mods know that anything that moves off the front page of the main discussion does not last long.

Except Lol cats. That thread lives forever! :cool:

No, I didn't attack your post with his words.

I again pointed out that the OP called many of us cretins, while addressing your post.

You know, I know, and the mods know that anything that moves off the front page of the main discussion does not last long.

So you just proved my point. If there is a front page for the Rule Discussions, and a front page for the rest of the DCI discussions, that allows people who don't want to be bothered with all the bickering to be able to see the threads they want to see, while the people looking to talk about rule changes get to see what they want to see had it been moved to Page 2 in the normal forums.

Edited by Kyle B