The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

I’ll stick by my warning about the panic last week for falling behind in scores with a warning to temper our enthusiasm about tonight’s score. We still haven’t passed anyone ahead of us in the same show. BUT….

MILESTONE ALERT:

2007 Madison Scouts highest score of the season was at quarterfinals with 82.50.

Tonight’s score of 83.60 passes that!!! :tongue::worthy:

:worthy::w00t::w00t:

:w00t:

:w00t: OK, back to my cool state of anticipation without counting any chickens. :w00t:

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home from the Jacksonville show. I spent the day with the corps at rehearsal too. Man, was it hot. A few of the guys had to sit down on the sidelines for a few minutes. Water breaks every 15 min. Rough rehearsal, but they fought out a decent run thru. Guard looked rough at run thru. Horns were not too intense either.

The show was a different story! Much more intense than the run thru and it was a solid performance on all fronts. Guard looked much better tonite. These guys have come a long way.

The Men do know what is ahead for them the next 12 days. The staff is asking a lot from them and are pushing them hard. They are responding well and doing what is asked of them. They seem very confident on what they can clean over the next few days and there seems to be no let down that I can tell.

I am going to get a few hours sleep and am driving to Sevierville, TN this morning. I am going to try to catch some of the rehearsal and will be at the show.

Let you know what I see from there.

Go Scouts !!!

Just a visual to "back up" my "observations":

Show Crossmen Scouts Margin

[7/26/08] Atlanta, GA [Afternoon] 16.90 16.20 0.70

[7/19/08] San Antonio [Afternoon] 16.50 15.60 0.90

[7/17/08] Dallas, TX 16.00 14.70 1.30

You actually made a very valid point here, although clearly without intending to...

In your "margin" column, it is clear that the margin between Madison and Crossmen has been shrinking, which means that the scores and thus the performance level of their guards is getting closer together in the eyes of the judges. A spread of 0.7 at this stage of the game isn't big enough to be considered the final word on the ranking these two guards. Madison has improved their guard scores by 1.5 points between Atlanta and Dallas per your recap, while Crossmen guard scores have improved by 0.9.

Edited by Linda Slocum

83.6 currently puts them in 10th place!

GO SCOUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that some people might not think it is a big deal, but this late in the year I would have thought that the whole line would all be doing the visuals at the right time. There are two times in the Vic Firth clip that the snares don't have it together. The first one is after the snare break - only the three snares on the right end do a stick wave, and at the very end when the snares go to tighten their ties, it's a mess. Some do it, some don't. I know San Antonio was last week, and at the start of the season people got all upset when I mentioned that the stick heights weren't together, but I woudn't want them to have mental errors during the visuals turn into mental errors in their playing that hurt their performance and scores.

I think the tie straigtening was merely due to the fact that they weren't wearing their ties and they weren't sure if they were practicing that part. As to that visual, I think it was added around the Dallas show. They were tweaking it all the time. At the Dallas show, I attended it live and there were no mess ups in tie tightening, or with the stick wave. Don't sweat the pratices!! :tongue: It's when then miss it in the show that you can get concerned. These guys are doing fine!!

Linda, there are ways to handle this issue; such as cut the shirt from the pants and replace with a different shirt...it's been done many times before by many groups. You can also dye the shirt using rit (or another fabric) dye...but your most important point is correct; there are always a lot of "wannabe staff members" on this forum. You should all trust as fans of the Scouts that the current staff has been hired for a reason; because of their knowlege and judgements made in the activity based on their experience and past results. If you are constantly questioning or trying to correct the ideas of the current staff (ie: suggesting changing flag designs), maybe you should email a teaching/design resume to Dann so that you can be on the staff list next year. I always get the impression that Scouts fans/alum are NEVER satisfied...based on their own postings on this forum. Best of luck to the Madison Scouts.

What he said!!

Wow....such pressure. The second question most likely provides the answer for the first. No, I do not believe Mandarins performed better than Scouts in San Antonio, so hence, Prosperie gave at least one place too low. So, that makes Prosperie wrong.

See, I knew you were a fair-minded guy!! :tongue:

Wow... talk about over reacting... take a few from the bottle marked "CHILL".

You bash the Scouts guard, on their own thread no less, with your comment that "Glassmen and Crossmen's guards blow the Scouts' out of the water", and then take huge offense when I point out that the Crossmen's guard was very dirty in San Antonio and say that's disrespectful? Statement of fact, my friend... they were not clean, and therefore not blowing anyone out of the water.

Linda,

Don't forget our mantra -- don't bash other corps when it is perfectly fine to BASH THE JUDGES!!!!!!