The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Sorry, but I'm not going to sit in the dark and ignore all shows and all scores until Bloomington. Regardless of the difference in judging/scoring from show to show, there is a definite trending that can be followed. If you don't like it, then put me on "ignore", because I'm going to keep cheering for the Men of Madison!

BTW, I'm not concerned about sanity... not a possibility when you have a 16-yr-old in the house.

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

The only trend I see is the Scouts steadily scoring higher. They are much improved from last year and they have a lot to be proud of. GO SCOUTS!!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parents of Scouts Members. I picked up my wife at the airport yesterday as she flew in from Atlanta. She had been a volunteer with the Scouts for the past 3 weeks. You parents should all be commended. She could not say enough good things about your sons. They are fine young men and you should be proud of them. She could not speak about them without weeping, and she looks forward to seeing them at Finals.

Your sons have grown so much as young men. Whether they make it into the top 12 or not, they have learned from this experience and have grown from it. The problem as a parent is that I want my son to be in the top 12, and so do you. However, there are parents of 19 other corps that want their sons (and daughters) to make it into the top 12.

So, I applaud all the parents. :tongue: We all share a common bond. I wish no one had to miss the top 12, but that is life. I hope the Scouts make it, but if they don’t they have acquitted themselves well. Whether I (as a biased parent) believe they deserve to be in the top 12 is irrelevant. I applaud all 20 corps, their members and their parents. :worthy:

Yes, and I applaud the judges. :worthy: They have a tough job. I have been one of the most critical judge basher on this thread, but I know how hard a job it is to judge. Hopefully, when they judge, they realize that some parents’ children will not make the final 12 based on their scoring, so it must be a tough job. I applaud you Judges. :w00t:

Let’s all enjoy the last two weeks and relish in our sons’ accomplishments.

I will leave this thread before I get kicked off for having observations that are not popular with all of you.

Please don't do that. Informed and objective perspectives are always welcome.

I'm sure you understand the emotions that most of the participants in this thread are experiencing. There is a lot of stress and adrenaline and panic. The fight for the last spot in Finals is probably one of the most important challenges any corps has to face. If it were a fight for 5th place or 8th place for example, there wouldn't be quite so much excitability.

Top twelve is important on many levels. Not just for the current fans and parents and alumni, but also for all the future fans and parents and alumni. The ability to recruit top talent is crucial and while I think the Scouts have a bit of a recruiting advantage due to the general popularity of the corps, that alone is not sufficient to acquire the necessary talent to reach the top five (for example).

We are very proud of these guys who wear this particular shade of green. So, "forgive us our biases as we forgive those who bias against us", and all that. :tongue:

What's the Explorer Fund 2007? (I'm a former Scout)

Parents of Scouts Members. I picked up my wife at the airport yesterday as she flew in from Atlanta. She had been a volunteer with the Scouts for the past 3 weeks. You parents should all be commended. She could not say enough good things about your sons. They are fine young men and you should be proud of them. She could not speak about them without weeping, and she looks forward to seeing them at Finals.

Your sons have grown so much as young men. Whether they make it into the top 12 or not, they have learned from this experience and have grown from it. The problem as a parent is that I want my son to be in the top 12, and so do you. However, there are parents of 19 other corps that want their sons (and daughters) to make it into the top 12.

So, I applaud all the parents. :tongue: We all share a common bond. I wish no one had to miss the top 12, but that is life. I hope the Scouts make it, but if they don’t they have acquitted themselves well. Whether I (as a biased parent) believe they deserve to be in the top 12 is irrelevant. I applaud all 20 corps, their members and their parents. :worthy:

Yes, and I applaud the judges. :worthy: They have a tough job. I have been one of the most critical judge basher on this thread, but I know how hard a job it is to judge. Hopefully, when they judge, they realize that some parents’ children will not make the final 12 based on their scoring, so it must be a tough job. I applaud you Judges. :w00t:

Let’s all enjoy the last two weeks and relish in our sons’ accomplishments.

Dantheoldman,

Tell Paula Howdy form Tracy and myself. Dan, you and I are lucky men ! We both have awesome spouse's and son's in the Madison Scouts !

Bill

GO SCOUTS !!!

What's the Explorer Fund 2007? (I'm a former Scout)

You'll find more info on the Explorer Fund here: http://madisonscouts.org/Madison%20Scouts/...rer%20Fund.html

Thanks Linda for the link to the explorer fund. Ill have to do some research about donating to it vs. the corps directly.

RJM

Thanks Linda for the link to the explorer fund. Ill have to do some research about donating to it vs. the corps directly.

RJM

Chris K posted more info on the Madison Scouts Forum as well, explaining the differences between some of the fundraising efforts: http://madisonscouts.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1231

That's just what I was looking for Linda. Seems Mr. Eendicott is the primary contact for the Explorer Fund.

So glad to see the Scouts improvement throughout the year. A top 12 finish will improve their recuiting capabilities for the '09 season.

RJM

Linda....you are certainly over the top. Pioneer....best solo? Ummm...the guy who plays the mello solo for Regiment is the class of the field this year.

As far as Madison's brass, they are holding their own comparably with their placement. So was percussion in Atlanta. The rest of the sheet was hit and miss as far as inline with their placement.

Do I think Madison is in for finals? It's going to be close. I don't believe Madison tops both Xmen and the Glasspeople, but anything can happen now that the Scouts are close.

Should be a fun two weeks.

Mr Brace,Last time I checked the Glassmen have not changed their name to Glasspeople :tongue:

This is the Glassmen 47th year in the Drum and Bugle Corps Activity. I would think that fact alone whould have earned the Glassmen just a little bit of respect.

I will not lie. I say this with Love and Respect. It feels good that the Glassmen are beating the Madison Scouts. You have owned us for over 40 years. :w00t: These next 2 weeks are going to be very interesting to say the least. Right now I feel 11-12 is up for grabs between Glassmen,Crossmen,Colts,Madison Scouts,and Spirit. The 2 Corps that peak at the right Show at the right time will have won a great battle for the 11 and 12 position. The Aug 4th Show in Toledo will be the last Show before Finals. Madison,Glassmen, and the Colts will be going head to head. These Scores will give a good indication which Corps are peaking, or not. Be safe, Good luck and all the best to all The Drum and Bugle Corps on the road today.

To All the Madison Scouts Brotherhood,

THANK YOU :worthy::worthy::w00t::w00t:

Go Scouts!!!