The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

While the idea of not getting caught up in the recaps is valid...I also think trends are also valid...and, if you are the Scouts, I would be very happy that things are trending upward. And, not to rip on the Glassmen or the Crossmen...I still think the Scouts have an overall better package...mainly in drill difficulty.

WOW...if DCI was based on one aspect of a show, you may be correct...but if we were to use that concept (plus our own opinions), Glassmen and Crossmen's guards blow the Scouts' out of the water. There are other things happening on the field aside from "drill difficulty", which should also be judged by necessity of "difficulty", and how well it is being acheived. Glassmen and Crossmen, like Scouts, have respectable productions, and that should not be taken from them. I personally am glad to see the Crossmen making a comeback.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW...if DCI was based on one aspect of a show, you may be correct...but if we were to use that concept (plus our own opinions), Glassmen and Crossmen's guards blow the Scouts' out of the water. There are other things happening on the field aside from "drill difficulty", which should also be judged by necessity of "difficulty", and how well it is being acheived. Glassmen and Crossmen, like Scouts, have respectable productions, and that should not be taken from them. I personally am glad to see the Crossmen making a comeback.

Um... just a reminder that you're posting on a SCOUTS thread here...

Guard isn't the only piece of the puzzle, and the guard scores are improving daily. Yeah, yeah... different judges and all, but still they are showing measurable improvement.

Again, the guard isn't the only piece of the puzzle, although it seems so easy for people to pick on. The "oh, we're not winning because the guard sucks" argument is getting old... they're no longer the lowest scoring caption, and have improved greatly even in the short time since the Dallas show. I thought Xmen had verrrrry dirty guard drill at the San Antonio show (yes, I was there, not watching it online).

Um... just a reminder that you're posting on a SCOUTS thread here...

Guard isn't the only piece of the puzzle, and the guard scores are improving daily. Yeah, yeah... different judges and all, but still they are showing measurable improvement.

Again, the guard isn't the only piece of the puzzle, although it seems so easy for people to pick on. The "oh, we're not winning because the guard sucks" argument is getting old... they're no longer the lowest scoring caption, and have improved greatly even in the short time since the Dallas show. I thought Xmen had verrrrry dirty guard drill at the San Antonio show (yes, I was there, not watching it online).

So, we should use the "Scouts thread" to put other people's shows down? I'm sure the boys are not being taught that kind of disrespectful behavior at Madison...they are taught to respect their competition and support their peers (at least they used to be).

Yes, guard isn't the only piece of the puzzle...that was my exact point...drill difficulty should not be the only thing used to compare Scouts to Crossmen or Glassmen. Thanks for helping me get my point across.

NO ONE is saying they aren't improving.

Sorry...I have been teaching colorguard for ten plus years, and yes, I too was in San Antonio as well--Scouts and Crossmen's colorguards...not even comparable (at least in the afternoon show that I watched). Overall design is a large part of the score remember...not just the cleanliness of the choreography.

Edited by RiseUP79

Love it!

TB, are you actually starting to drink the Green KoolAid?

nope....not ever going to be a kool-aid drinker for any corps. That way I can call the good and the bad and the indifferent.

A word to the wise regarding the DCI scoring. You are going to drive yourself crazy trying to follow the scores at this point of the season. Even at Allentown, expect scoring wierdness from night to night. The only score that matters right now is Quarterfinals on Thursday and then Semis on Friday and then hopefully a show on Saturday night.

So how bout them 10th place Scouts?

So, we should use the "Scouts thread" to put other people's shows down? I'm sure the boys are not being taught that kind of disrespectful behavior at Madison...they are taught to respect their competition and support their peers (at least they used to be).

Wow... talk about over reacting... take a few from the bottle marked "CHILL".

You bash the Scouts guard, on their own thread no less, with your comment that "Glassmen and Crossmen's guards blow the Scouts' out of the water", and then take huge offense when I point out that the Crossmen's guard was very dirty in San Antonio and say that's disrespectful? Statement of fact, my friend... they were not clean, and therefore not blowing anyone out of the water.

So how bout them 10th place Scouts?

LOVE 'EM!!!!

Nice momentum at this point...

Wow... talk about over reacting... take a few from the bottle marked "CHILL".

You bash the Scouts guard, on their own thread no less, with your comment that "Glassmen and Crossmen's guards blow the Scouts' out of the water", and then take huge offense when I point out that the Crossmen's guard was very dirty in San Antonio and say that's disrespectful? Statement of fact, my friend... they were not clean, and therefore not blowing anyone out of the water.

Statement of fact huh? I really wouldn't consider you a "say-all-be-all" based on some of your previous comments about how the activity operates/ should operate. I did not take offense at all about Crossmen's guard being dirty in San Antonio, as I could see with my own two eyes that their show (in the colorguard caption) is designed better. As I said, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but Crossmen's guard are scoring better than Scouts guard...on a consistent basis...and that's what my (opinions), and more importantly, observations are based on.

Edited by RiseUP79

Just a visual to "back up" my "observations":

Show Crossmen Scouts Margin

[7/26/08] Atlanta, GA [Afternoon] 16.90 16.20 0.70

[7/19/08] San Antonio [Afternoon] 16.50 15.60 0.90

[7/17/08] Dallas, TX 16.00 14.70 1.30

Glassmen Scouts Margin

{7/26/08] Atlanta, GA [Afternoon] 17.30 16.20 1.10

[7/23/08] Van Buren, AR 16.70 15.70 1.00

[7/21/08] Wichita Falls, TX 16.60 15.60 1.00

[7/19/08] San Antonio [Afternoon] 16.70 15.60 1.10

[7/7/08] Louisville, KY 15.20 13.70 1.50

[7/5/08] Kalamazoo, MI 15.60 13.10 2.50

I will leave this thread before I get kicked off for having observations that are not popular with all of you.

Edited by RiseUP79