Mellophone Pitch

CroWnSoPrAnO

I switched to mellophone from trumpet for this season, and im really having a difficult time with pitch. I play extremely sharp pretty much all the time and its really getting stressful, any ideas?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyond the basics, opening your throat, focusing your air and all that crud my trumpet professor bores me to tears with, check your mouthpiece. Are you using a trumpet mouthpiece, a mello mouthpiece or a french horn mouthpiece?

im on a mello 6V

I had a similar problem. You just got to try and relax your lower lip/jaw muscles. No lip pinching... I guess you can say.

Focus a lot on low tones and don't play too high too early.

I would play with a tuner all the time. Work on centering each pitch with long tones on both trumpet and mellophone. You owe it to your corps to be an amazing mellophone player, but you need to keep improving as a trumpet player.

You need to play straight through the horn. Don't try to bend pitches. You are probably way too tense. Check yourself out in the mirror. You have to be your biggest critic.

I switched to mellophone from trumpet for this season, and im really having a difficult time with pitch. I play extremely sharp pretty much all the time and its really getting stressful, any ideas?

It sounds like your embochure/appiture is very tight (learned that from Gino Cipriani). Decreasing the tension will help bring the tone down, eg relax the tongue. A larger mouthpiece will also help accomplish that. I was using a Conn mello 6, now I'm on a Wick 2. The Wick is pretty uge, but I do get a great sound out of it. The Blessing mello 5 might be a good fit for you. The rim will be a bit larger with a deeper cup compared to the 6v(the Blessing is a knock off of the Wick 5). It is also very affordable ~$30 from wwbw.com

good luck

What company's mello 6v are you using?

Switch back to trumpet where you belong! :)

Best advice I have seen on here in a long time.

Good sounding mello players come from the french horn, NOT trumpet. I have heard that there is a corps that won't even allow trumpet players to audition for mello.

Not good advice at all, don't listen.

The main problem in the transition is simply that trumpet players overblow when they make the switch. Just stay relaxed, as some others have said.

Oh, and enjoy your added octave of range that you'll have over french horn players. :)