dca / DCI and electronics

I had the opportunity to visit the Boston Crusaders at the Florida Fairgrounds this past weekend and was blown away (as usual) by the material, enthusiasm, performance level, work ethic, teaching elements and programming. The flavor of the corps...the "Boston" sound...was easy to discern...even in musical pieces used to great effect by other corps.

In short...I was having a great time. It was parent's day...some of the Florida-based Crusaders got a neat opportunity to have mom and dad visit and it was a first class event all the way.

But, all of a sudden, during a run through of a passage in the opener, I was taken aback by a sound that could best be described as "curious" coming from a speaker in the pit. It wasnt an amplified keyboard sound...which I have come to appreciate since 2005 Regiment (without it, I would feel as if I missed out on some of the most fantastic keyboard sounds EVER)....it was more artificial...in a word "SYNTHESIZED."

I suppose it fit into the program...it created a unique musical "color"...but it was so foreign...and so in-human?...that I found myself concentrating on it's strangeness rather than its musical contribution.

And, instead of listening to the next passage or two, I was whisked away into "QUESTION LAND".

I asked myself...if that sound can come out of that speaker....

Cant we tweak the volume on a company front and give it a little more artificial OOMPH, even if it isnt REAL? Who would know?

Cant we make it sound like a horn and crank it up to 10 and have ourselves a hornline without having any kids?

Where is the end of "produced sound" and the beginning of "artificially produced sound"?

Restrictions or no, Pandora's box is wide open here. Once the genie is out of the bottle, can it be put back in?

DCI has accepted this medium. OK. But it aint drum corps, IMO.

If I cant BELIEVE in the sound I am hearing, the purity of performed music goes out the window. Was it LIVE? Or memorex?

dca heard the arguments for amps and electronics and voted them down....10-zip.

I like that. I am a purist. At least when it comes to the sound I hear.

I can live with Bb...I get it (not as loud as a G bugle, but whatever)

I can live with the dancing as long as I get a banner feature somewhere.

I can live with twirling a rifle, rather than spinning it, as long as you give me a unison quad somewhere.

I can live with kevlar, even if Suncoast Sound 86 makes kevlar look lame.

But I dont go to hear machines making the sound.

I go to hear people do things that seem impossible (2001 Cadets...can you top the horn feature?...Bucs 2008...wow, Gino...no help!!)

may dca stay the course on this one. Viva la difference.

I had the opportunity to visit the Boston Crusaders at the Florida Fairgrounds this past weekend and was blown away (as usual) by the material, enthusiasm, performance level, work ethic, teaching elements and programming. The flavor of the corps...the "Boston" sound...was easy to discern...even in musical pieces used to great effect by other corps.

In short...I was having a great time. It was parent's day...some of the Florida-based Crusaders got a neat opportunity to have mom and dad visit and it was a first class event all the way.

But, all of a sudden, during a run through of a passage in the opener, I was taken aback by a sound that could best be described as "curious" coming from a speaker in the pit. It wasnt an amplified keyboard sound...which I have come to appreciate since 2005 Regiment (without it, I would feel as if I missed out on some of the most fantastic keyboard sounds EVER)....it was more artificial...in a word "SYNTHESIZED."

I suppose it fit into the program...it created a unique musical "color"...but it was so foreign...and so in-human?...that I found myself concentrating on it's strangeness rather than its musical contribution.

And, instead of listening to the next passage or two, I was whisked away into "QUESTION LAND".

I asked myself...if that sound can come out of that speaker....

Cant we tweak the volume on a company front and give it a little more artificial OOMPH, even if it isnt REAL? Who would know?

Cant we make it sound like a horn and crank it up to 10 and have ourselves a hornline without having any kids?

Where is the end of "produced sound" and the beginning of "artificially produced sound"?

Restrictions or no, Pandora's box is wide open here. Once the genie is out of the bottle, can it be put back in?

DCI has accepted this medium. OK. But it aint drum corps, IMO.

If I cant BELIEVE in the sound I am hearing, the purity of performed music goes out the window. Was it LIVE? Or memorex?

dca heard the arguments for amps and electronics and voted them down....10-zip.

I like that. I am a purist. At least when it comes to the sound I hear.

I can live with Bb...I get it (not as loud as a G bugle, but whatever)

I can live with the dancing as long as I get a banner feature somewhere.

I can live with twirling a rifle, rather than spinning it, as long as you give me a unison quad somewhere.

I can live with kevlar, even if Suncoast Sound 86 makes kevlar look lame.

But I dont go to hear machines making the sound.

I go to hear people do things that seem impossible (2001 Cadets...can you top the horn feature?...Bucs 2008...wow, Gino...no help!!)

may dca stay the course on this one. Viva la difference.

BAC is using it simply as a effect.

Others???????OVERDOING IT!

Personally, when I heard Spirit, Regiment, BAC, Glassmen, Blue Stars, Teal, and others at Valdosta the other day, I hardly even noticed the Synths. I did notice the bass guitar solo in Spirit's show, but it was appropriate to the music and didn't really detract from the overall feeling of the show. Maybe I don't really mind because I'm of the generation that will march behind those amps and synths, but it just doesn't bother me. No one is really overusing them (that I've heard) and I'm not particularly outraged. I honestly think this year is a lot less gimmicky than last year anyways, and focuses a lot more on just pure music. So what if there's another toy in the pit? I still see 80 horns, 20 battery, guard, the works. It's all still drum corps to me.

Same here. Once the horns and percussion start playing, what electronics? I think it's a fad which will fade away, much like the over-use of narration. The only cool use of narration was Carolina Crown's horse race. The original poster is right tho, gotta watch out for amplified horn lines.

Edited by Mike_B

The original poster is right tho, gotta watch out for amplified horn lines.

That's what concerns me, too.

I know I'm in the minority here with my opinion....but I'm fine with the use of electronics, when it's handled well and enhances a show. But amplified brass?....no.

Fran

:tongue:

I don't think that synths have any place in DCA, nor should they ever. I am also of the opinion that it shouldn't be overdone in DCI either.. I have, however heard some disconcerting rumors about soloists being amplified. If you can't play over the rest of the corps, then dynamics are not being utilized effectively, or you're not projecting enough, or the freakin' guitars are TOO loud! A football field is not a nightclub where you have to be miced to be heard over the din of the crowd and the other amped instruments. PLEASE, make note of the distinction!

<<steps off of soap box>> :laughing:

The problem I see with electronics is in a few years the argument for electronics in DCA will be the same one as the Bb arguments that have been made.

Think about it.

Someone will be posting on the DCA boards here.Kids in DCI have come to like and expect electronics in drum corps.Therefore DCA has moved to allow electronics to bridge the gap between DCI and DCA.It will help with recruiting and retention because coming in,,the kids will feel more welcome to the activity.It will be easier for the kids to learn the music when they can hear it electronically.

Yadda Yadda Yadda.

The problem I see with electronics is in a few years the argument for electronics in DCA will be the same one as the Bb arguments that have been made.

Think about it.

Someone will be posting on the DCA boards here.Kids in DCI have come to like and expect electronics in drum corps.Therefore DCA has moved to allow electronics to bridge the gap between DCI and DCA.It will help with recruiting and retention because coming in,,the kids will feel more welcome to the activity.It will be easier for the kids to learn the music when they can hear it electronically.

Yadda Yadda Yadda.

And I forgot to add.

Electronics will help us eliminate those big heavy tubas that take up extra space in the truck and slow us down on the field from marching at 190 BPM :cool:

Ohh yeah,,and that woodwind thing too! :laughing::tongue: :tongue: :cool: