some old corps photos

I think it is older...Look at the toms - they look like they are silver with colored stripes, and looks like strap harnesses. They were pretty old.

Only see six snares too. With that and the flag holders, I am guessing 74 or so. They had clear drums in 75, red in 78 and red & white in 79.

You're quoting me in the above post, but we're talking about two different photos. In the quoted text you cited, I'm referring to the photo of the guard member with the striped flag. I believe you're referring to the flag line in the X formation, which I agree is an older photo. As I said in my earlier posts, the arm positions, with both elbows extended, indicates that the guard is using flag holders. I tried looking it up in my "Legacy" DVDs, and '74 seems pretty likely, but unfortunately Blue Stars aren't on the DVD for that year.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that the skirts (as well as new uniforms for the entire corps) only made their appearance on 2nd tour.

I agree with Sue. I think the photo of the guard member is from either '79 or first half of the '80 season.

Ah, I didn't know that about the skirts. Thanks for the correction! And thanks for the great photos, uncle z!

Now that I look closely at the photo in question, I can see that the flags do, in fact, have a "star" in the center of the stripes. And Uncle Z is right -- the flags from '79 did not. They were a fairly simple blue/yellow stripe on a white background (exchanged in the closer for mutli-colored ones of the same design). I don't know when the stripe/star flags were used.

Now that I look closely at the photo in question, I can see that the flags do, in fact, have a "star" in the center of the stripes. And Uncle Z is right -- the flags from '79 did not. They were a fairly simple blue/yellow stripe on a white background (exchanged in the closer for mutli-colored ones of the same design). I don't know when the stripe/star flags were used.

OK, comparing this photo:

BlueStarsfromthe1980DCMsouvenirprog.jpg

with these photos I found on the Blue Stars website; they are identified as 1979, and the flag is striped with a star:

1057546900.jpg

1057546823.jpg

1057546748.jpg

1057546237.jpg

1057546166.jpg

1057546095.jpg

However, this parade photo, also IDed as '79, seems to show a plain-striped flag without the star:

1057545852.jpg

Edited by byline

Neither of those Blue Stars pictures identified as being from 1979 are from 1979. I was in the guard in 1979- we did not use those flags that year.

I am sorry if my labeling is confusing. I am not identifying that 1979 is the year. The photo's are in 1980 publications. So my rule of thumb is to assume it is "around" the previous year.

BlueStarsfromthe1980DCINorthprogram.jpg

After looking through all 689 photos on the Blue Stars website, I found this photo which appears to be from the same year as the X formation photo above . . . but they don't identify the year!

1056508851.jpg

Ah, but here's this one . . . and it's IDed as 1974:

1056507825.jpg

Then again, here's one from 1971:

1056507029.jpg

Also from '71:

1055980826.jpg

And 1972:

1056506307.jpg

A couple from 1973:

1055985774.jpg

1055981472.jpg

And another couple from '74:

1055985965.jpg

1055985835.jpg

So I guess we can say that Grewvy's photo is no later than '74; as far as I can tell, that was the last year for the flag holders.

Edited by byline

...photos I found on the Blue Stars website; they are identified as 1979, and the flag is striped with a star:

1057546823.jpg

RED stars ?????

Y'know, it is possible that we started the 79 season with a different set of flags... 29 years later, my rememberer might not function at full capacity. Too many of my brain cells gave their lives since then (especially DURING then). :laughing: