How do you feel about Breaking Ranks?

This brings to mind a story.

In 1979 Blue Devils did a show in West Chester, PA. After retreat the corps were going back to the parking lot and people were leaving to go to their cars.

My friends and I were walking along the sidewalk and BD were in single file heading the same direction as we were. They stretched on forever in single file. Almost 3 blocks. They ended at their equipment truck and buses but stayed in single file. We were on one side of the corps our cars were on the other.

We didn't want to walk the 3 blocks back to one end and their truck was smack up against the fence in the parking lot. We didn't want to cut through, seriously. However, one of our group remarked to an unresponsive member of BD that we would like to get through to our cars by saying, "Excuse me, there's no way around your corps. Would you mind if we cut through quickly?"

The member suddenly came to life and said, "Oh, yeah, sorry, sure no problem and just opened up enough for the 3 of us to scoot through a single file rank to get to our cars.

One of the staff of BD saw it happen and not only gave the poor kid a raft of crap, but also started on us for breaking through their ranks. He would not listen to our apology let alone our explanation. We had to walk away to our cars with this moron screaming at us. We were just spectators for christ sake.

I've hated BD, ever since. I didn't think it was a sign of disrespect on our part. We just wanted to get to our car in a timely and efficient manner. Had they been in a block formation, we would've certainly gone around them.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This brings to mind a story.

In 1979 Blue Devils did a show in West Chester, PA. After retreat the corps were going back to the parking lot and people were leaving to go to their cars.

My friends and I were walking along the sidewalk and BD were in single file heading the same direction as we were. They stretched on forever in single file. Almost 3 blocks. They ended at their equipment truck and buses but stayed in single file. We were on one side of the corps our cars were on the other.

We didn't want to walk the 3 blocks back to one end and their truck was smack up against the fence in the parking lot. We didn't want to cut through, seriously. However, one of our group remarked to an unresponsive member of BD that we would like to get through to our cars by saying, "Excuse me, there's no way around your corps. Would you mind if we cut through quickly?"

The member suddenly came to life and said, "Oh, yeah, sorry, sure no problem and just opened up enough for the 3 of us to scoot through a single file rank to get to our cars.

One of the staff of BD saw it happen and not only gave the poor kid a raft of crap, but also started on us for breaking through their ranks. He would not listen to our apology let alone our explanation. We had to walk away to our cars with this moron screaming at us. We were just spectators for christ sake.

I've hated BD, ever since. I didn't think it was a sign of disrespect on our part. We just wanted to get to our car in a timely and efficient manner. Had they been in a block formation, we would've certainly gone around them.

Sorry you had to experience that moment of dillerium by that staff member who looks to have a little to learn about life.

That illustrates what I think perfectly. Holding something like the ranks rule so high and seriously can cause outrageous behavior from members or staff. The big picture is that people are really what matter and not some rule that only people in DCI hold dear or even know about for the most part. If that guy had been yelling at me or my family there would have certainly been a bad scene for that guy. There is line that you draw.

Edited by AFcorpsvette

Agreed. Most people will respect a shake of the head or a subtle movement to block their path. This happens quite a bit on the way to and from shows. There are some people who don't seem to understand the hint though, and an arm or two across their path seems to get the point across.

However, I think it's classless in general to try and break a corps ranks, regardless of a tradition. Fans don't get in the way of a football team as it comes out of the locker room, lest they get run over. No different here.

Well, there is a difference. Most football players if they were on the way back to their buses or something would just let you go. If you happened to be on the field, yes, you would probably be run over.

I don't think ranks are sacred and should be guarded and defended at all costs. That attitude is what starts wars. Some people are rude and push through. I see nothing wrong with a polite person courteously asking to get through, to be let through.

What you are talking about here is the drum corps equivalent of road rage.

If someone inadvertently cuts through your rank, for gosh sakes, explain it to them if you must, but be civil and reasonable. Not rash, reactionary, and immature. Then let it go...life is too short to be angry over something like this.

OK I agree with someone saying that if its an emergency.. then ok.. or some old couple or little kid.. BUT if its not one of those exceptions then.. I say you simply stop them ask them to go around.. and explain why.. most ppl say ok.. the only time more force should be used is if the person after being explained too.. doesnt get it. Or just being a ####### idiot

Anyway my story..

IN 2001 a member of the Marine drum and bugle corps.. broke ranks with the corps I was in... His commanding officer saw it.. stopped him and in uniform mad him drop and give 100.. and while this man was doing that.. the officer in command yelled saying "YOU NEVER BREAK A DRUM CORPS RANKS DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" and the guy doing pushups sad SIR YES SIR. and after we were coming off the field he was standing beside us.. at attention appologizing to all of us.

How do you feel about breaking ranks? In my day if you had to ask the question, we'd ask you how you felt about broken ribs!!

Larry Shane probably has a story to tell here, if he's hanging around. Back from his days with Florida Wave.

The only time something like this ever happened to me was my rookie year. It was my first show with Blue Knights....I want to say we were in Minnesota because the mosquitoes were crazy. Members of the Blue Knights guard tried to break ranks. I knew that if I let them through, my fellow baritone players were never going to let up. I put up my horn and asked the girl to lean in next to me (maaaaan, she smelled nice...there were some beauties on that guard that year) and I whispered to her "I don't think you know this, but...we're not supposed to break ranks. It's like an insult."

She did not know that, and was so grateful that I told her instead of being a Buttafuoco that she came by the food truck afterwards and hung out with a buddy and I. We didn't see them on tour for a few weeks, and in the meantime we both got together with someone else, but woo hoo! Something good almost came out of a rank-breaking incident! :P

Best. Breaking-ranks story. Ever.

OK I agree with someone saying that if its an emergency.. then ok.. or some old couple or little kid.. BUT if its not one of those exceptions then.. I say you simply stop them ask them to go around.. and explain why.. most ppl say ok.. the only time more force should be used is if the person after being explained too.. doesnt get it. Or just being a ####### idiot

Anyway my story..

IN 2001 a member of the Marine drum and bugle corps.. broke ranks with the corps I was in... His commanding officer saw it.. stopped him and in uniform mad him drop and give 100.. and while this man was doing that.. the officer in command yelled saying "YOU NEVER BREAK A DRUM CORPS RANKS DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" and the guy doing pushups sad SIR YES SIR. and after we were coming off the field he was standing beside us.. at attention appologizing to all of us.

quinny I totally feel you on wanting to manhandle some of the ######## that break ranks anyway. However, in this day in age, if you lay a hand on someone you can be jailed. We have to play in the pc world these days. I would make it mandatory to my members if I was director that they not touch any fan or passerby who breaks ranks. If a verbal explanation doesnt get their attention, then nothing short of breaking the law and attacking them will.

I LOVE that story by the way. The military certainly has respect for any rank structure be it civilian or not. I also think it was good of the marine for coming and apologizing, even if it was at the order of his commander.

I know when we do parades and in an alumni corps, you do lots of parades, I march on the end many times. Usually we fill the street side to side.

Many have the idea that it's OK to bump into people or even knock them down if they're in the way. Especially vendors with their shopping carts overloaded with items to sell to the kids.

I always give quarter in these situations and I don't care what I'm told. I'm not out to get anyone angry, I'm not out to make enemies for my corps and I'm not going to take out some poor person that has to sell trinkets on a parade route to make a living.

WE ARE NOT IN THE MILITARY. We ultimately are entertainers that perform in a military manner. If you insist on the idea of not letting people through your ranks, you are actually breaking the law. If people respect your ranks, they are giving you a courtesy. You have absolutely no right to expect you can bar people from passing to their destination.

And as for the military. I was told by a major and a certain well known colonel when discussing this many years ago, that civilians have the right to break ranks. "After all, we work for them, not the other way around", is what I was told.

I'm an infantryman in the U.S. Army, and if some civilian came and broke our ranks while in formation, no one would give a flying ####. The senior NCO's would probably be like "Umm, can we help you? And if not, please get out of our formation."

On the other hand, if I was back with the Vanguard standing tall at retreat or marching in a parade and some dude came up and tried to break ranks, he'd get a swift forearm to the chest. As far as being hardcore goes, Vanguard > Army any day of the week.

I've been in my share of "parking lot" fights with other corps back in the day when I could still survive one, but we never EVER broke another corps' ranks. Death before dishonor.