Boo to DCI

Do you realized that 12 years ago people had to PAY to call a 900 number to get scores. (That, or wait for the magazine to arrive) Or that you had to wait a few months until the CDs came out to even hear the shows you had heard about? Now, for less than $100, I can watch 8 shows live on my computer, can listen to every Finals show ever recorded on demand, I can build my own mid-season CD, AND, this year, I get to watch COMPLETE PERFORMANCES ONLINE after the Annapolis, San Antionio, and Semifinal shows?!?! I would probably pay $250 for that.

thats not the greatest analogy in the world.

12 years ago you were paying for a $1200 computer that would cost $150 today..

times change.

just download everything..

for free.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say it's your fault for forking out 89 bucks for drum corps on the internet... GO THE REAL SHOW.

I would prefer to go to the shows, however due to taking care of an elderly parent this summer that is not an option. In my mind $89 got me to at least be able to experience some drumcorps this summer. Things always seem so simple from your own position don't they, too bad we all don't have your personal ability to attend.

I would prefer to go to the shows, however due to taking care of an elderly parent this summer that is not an option. In my mind $89 got me to at least be able to experience some drumcorps this summer. Things always seem so simple from your own position don't they, too bad we all don't have your personal ability to attend.

There are some areas in the country that don't have a voluminous amount of shows to attend.

Here's a thought. If bandwith is the issue with the encorps video .... could we possibly consider replacing the older shows when new material comes available? Sure, it'd be nice to see the changes week to week but I think a majority of the platinum members would rather see the most recent shows rather than shows from almost a month ago.

I still think this was funny. Even if I did write it.

You are correct - it was, and still is, funny!

There are some areas in the country that don't have a voluminous amount of shows to attend.

Here's a thought. If bandwith is the issue with the encorps video .... could we possibly consider replacing the older shows when new material comes available? Sure, it'd be nice to see the changes week to week but I think a majority of the platinum members would rather see the most recent shows rather than shows from almost a month ago.

Even fewer shows where I am.

The issue with bandwidth is not with how much material is stored and available, but rather how much is requested by the user and sent across the net. The reason they don't put up new shows is that each person will view the new shows once they are up. By keeping up just Annapolis, the amount of download requests will fall off until San Antonio. If they put Kalamazoo, it would stay high, until Allentown, until Atlanta, etc. The net usage would be much higher and never drop off, and their internet bill goes through the roof. It is clear many people do not understand how the internet works and what is meant by bandwidth.

Even fewer shows where I am.

The issue with bandwidth is not with how much material is stored and available, but rather how much is requested by the user and sent across the net. The reason they don't put up new shows is that each person will view the new shows once they are up. By keeping up just Annapolis, the amount of download requests will fall off until San Antonio. If they put Kalamazoo, it would stay high, until Allentown, until Atlanta, etc. The net usage would be much higher and never drop off, and their internet bill goes through the roof. It is clear many people do not understand how the internet works and what is meant by bandwidth.

Thanks for clearing that up for an old-timer :rolleyes:

I understand what you are saying, BUT, (and I could be speaking outside of my comfort zone, I thought a C64 was the pinnacle of computing) if the encorps videos are limited to platinum members only, shouldn't (in theory) the max amount of bandwith be able to be calculated ahead of time and then paid for?

If DCI knows that X amount of people have memberships, then wouldn't it be simpler to reserve or buy or whatever the amount of bandwith that matches the amount of people that have access?

How much of the Platinum bandwidth is being taken up by the Streaming Audio feeds? I'd much rather put that bandwidth to "better" use and have access to more current videos.

I seldom use the streaming audio feature, but maybe I should start so I get my $$s worth.

What if DCI sold the streaming audio, from past Championships, as an introductory membership? Then, maybe offer the Video Access as an extension of the audio membership. I would think DCI could price the Audio membership very low, and the Video about the same as the Platinum Membership is now. Could that generate enough additional revenue to offset the spike in bandwidth? :rolleyes:

This would probably never work, or be implemented, but I’m thinking there has to be a better membership/pricing structure to give “us” what we want…MORE FREAKIN’ VIDEO, por favor.

:rolleyes: