2007 DCI World Championships (tourism)

This is exactly why I asked. :) I saw on the map it's pretty close to Compton, but knowing that neighborhoods can change quite drastically over a short distance I didn't know what to think of Downey's location.
Downey is very suburban (for So Cal). It has a long tradition as a blue collor community. When I left So Cal ten years ago, it did not have any sort of ethnic identity. I have not heard of any drastic changes since.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downey is very suburban (for So Cal). It has a long tradition as a blue collor community. When I left So Cal ten years ago, it did not have any sort of ethnic identity. I have not heard of any drastic changes since.

I would agree with the above post, but still say...get GOOD directions, go to the school where you are going, watch the rehersal, go back. A couple wrong turns in or more likley AROUND Downey and ?????.

What's Downey like? Looks like that's where SCV is staying and I wouldn't mind taking in a rehearsal if I have time (which I probably won't have given everything else I want to do). But just in case, I'd like to know if it's a decent area to drive around in.

Downey's fine. :worthy: Vanguard's housed there before (2006), and the high school is right off the freeway.

Plus, if you're in an "undesirable neighborhood" during broad daylight you might still be okay. :laugh: You want us locals to chaperone you around?

How about chauffeur instead? :P

In all seriousness, I've been in the LA area 3 times and haven't run into any issues, so hopefully I will just have more of the same. For the most part I've never experienced the dreaded traffic I always hear about either, at least nothing comparable to what I've run into countless of time on Chicago's freeways. (Granted, I've typically been on the freeways on weekends and odd hours...)

Edited by Machine

Los Angeles and the surrounding areas are always FILLED with people from somewhere else.

The running joke is that NOBODY is actually from LA.

Be smart, be safe and have fun.

Way more to do than you can cover in a month.

Pick your favs and look both ways before crossing.

A Rose Bowl note to all who are going:

When sitting in your seat at the ROSE BOWL the average sized (I'm 5'10") persons knees will be up against the seat in front of them. It's a tight fit so be comfortable and bring a seat cushion if you've got one.

Please note what you can and can't bring into the stadium.

Prohibited Items

The following items will not be allowed into the stadium: Bottles, containers, cans, thermoses, ice chests, picnic baskets, alcohol, signs, poles, chairs, umbrellas, weapons, knives, video recorders, beach balls, footballs, soccer balls, frisbees, fireworks, palm video recorders, and drugs. Backpacks will not be allowed in the stadium.

Permitted items

Small still cameras

Sack lunches, medical prescriptions

Binoculars, small radio

Flags no larger than 2'x3'

All items and persons entering the facility will be subject to search.

Do your research . . . if you want to go to the Getty Villa, it is free but you need a hard-to-get ticket.

http://getty.edu/visit/

Thanks.

I was just thinking of the center which you don't need tickets/reservations for. I still want to get there early.

MORE RESTAURANT RECOMMENDATIONS

SoCal27's list is mainly low-to-mid end restaurants, and chains like CPK, PF Chang's and In-n-Out. A lot of diners and fast food type stuff. I would agree that most of the places are decent to good, but if you are looking for a REALLY good, special event, gourmet type meal in Pasadena, I would suggest the following:

Yujean Kang's

67 N. Raymond Street

In my opinion, and the opinion of the Zagat Guide, this is the best Chinese restaurant in the L.A. Metro area. Some very unique dishes. Hands down, my favorite restaurant in Pasadena. Blows away PF Chang. And really isn't too bad on price.

Derek's Bistro

181 E Glenarm St

http://www.dickensonwest.com/

Probably the best California Cuisine in Pasadena. Zagat rated 26 for food (I think).

Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton Huntington Hotel

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/H...oom/Default.htm

1401 South Oak Knoll Avenue

This is a fancy, white tablecloth, expensive kind of place. Beautiful setting and delicious food.

Bon appetit.

Thanks.

I was just thinking of the center which you don't need tickets/reservations for. I still want to get there early.

There is a secret to getting into Getty Villa, even when the website says sold out for that day. Every day that it's open, they release tickets on the website, in the morning sometime around 8 to 9 am. Print out the tickets or I think you can call a human and make reservations. I have done this twice and it works great.

http://getty.edu/visit/

img_contact_villa_1.jpg

Getty Villa

17985 Pacific Coast Highway

Pacific Palisades, California 90272

(310) 440-7300

It's right next to Malibu. Awesome building. It's a copy of a roman villa that was buried under lava, next to pompeii. Take the building/architecture tour in addition to seeing the 2000 year old art.

When to Visit

Thursday–Monday

10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

Closed Tuesday, Wednesday

After going to the Getty Villa, drive a few miles up Pacific Coast Highway (the street the Getty Villa is on) and eat at:

Malibu Seafood, PCH; great seafood, great prices, across the street from the waves

25653 Pacific Coast Hwy Malibu, CA 90265-4550

If you want to experience a great California style beach, drive a few more miles up PCH to Leo Carillo State Beach. It's almost at the Ventura County line, but worth the drive. A number of movies have been filmed there at the cliffs and small caves.

Both museums are free, just pay $8 for parking. Don't need reservations for:

The Getty Center Museum, which is also awesome.

Getty Center Drive off the 405 freeway, just above West L.A.

img_architecture_1.jpg

Restaurants near there:

apple pan, early 1900’s, hamburgers, fries, fantastic homemade apple pie, lunch counter style, order the hickory bbq cheeseburger with grilled onions

10801 W Pico Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90064-2105

tito’s tacos, love this place, next to 405 freeway; get a little of every thing, it’s all a la carte.

11222 Washington Pl Culver City, CA 90230

2003 Winner, "Best Mexican Food in Los Angeles"

pinks, early 1900’s, hot dogs for the stars; try the rosie o’donnell dog, chili, sauerkraut mustard, grilled onions, sounds weird, but actually really good, fries are baked, pinkshollywood.com

709 N La Brea Ave Los Angeles, CA 90038

johnnie’s pastrami; great pastrami sandwiches

4017 Sepulveda Blvd Culver City, CA 90230

chin chin, incredible dim sum (Chinese), sit at a sidewalk table and watch the rolls royces, ferrari’s, etc go by on sunset

8618 Sunset Blvd.

West Hollywood, CA 90069

carney’s, hamburgers, hot dogs, in real train car on sunset, around the corner from Paris Hilton’s house.

8351 W Sunset Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90069

Probably the best hamburgers & hot dogs...in the world! (so says their ad, they are excellent)

Barney’s Beanery; early 1900’s, 1000 item menu, 200 beers, a Hollywood Classic for 80+ years

8447 Santa Monica Blvd

West Hollywood, CA 90069

...another great place if you'll be heading out Malibu way =

very casual and right on the beach Gladstones.

Buckets of Corona, fish tacos and lots of other fine SoCal cusine! b**bs

MORE RESTAURANT RECOMMENDATIONS

SoCal27's list is mainly low-to-mid end restaurants, and chains like CPK, PF Chang's and In-n-Out. A lot of diners and fast food type stuff. I would agree that most of the places are decent to good, but if you are looking for a REALLY good, special event, gourmet type meal in Pasadena, I would suggest the following:

Yujean Kang's

67 N. Raymond Street

In my opinion, and the opinion of the Zagat Guide, this is the best Chinese restaurant in the L.A. Metro area. Some very unique dishes. Hands down, my favorite restaurant in Pasadena. Blows away PF Chang. And really isn't too bad on price.

Derek's Bistro

181 E Glenarm St

http://www.dickensonwest.com/

Probably the best California Cuisine in Pasadena. Zagat rated 26 for food (I think).

Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton Huntington Hotel

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/H...oom/Default.htm

1401 South Oak Knoll Avenue

This is a fancy, white tablecloth, expensive kind of place. Beautiful setting and delicious food.

Bon appetit.

The restaurants on my list are the ones that I like to eat at, great atmosphere, great prices and most importantly, great food. I guess I would call them comfort food. You come out of there feeling really good about the experience. I rarely eat at restaurants that are going to be an overpriced, 2 or 3 hour ordeal. On my list, you can get in and out of there in under an hour and for less than $10 for a great meal ($20 for high end). This is important for me during nationals week. I want to watch the shows or corps practices or see the local sites. I don't want to spend a lot of time in restaurants. But, everyone has different tastes and likes to splurge every now and then. So, if people have more special l.a. restaurants, bring them on. The more the merrier.