Your first perforance as a rookie!?!

My first performance is this Saturday! I'm so nervous and excited! Just hope i get everything right. :laugh:

Edited by s.montoya

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is that I was as nervous the first time as the last.

There may have been 10 or 12 show in 10 years where I was actually confident stepping off and I really enjoyed myself. Sometimes I'd be shaking and other times I'd wish that I could faint so I wouldn't have to go thru with it. Carol A. was the same way. In 1979 we'd dress center and our teeth would be chattering.

It's difficult to admit, and a few people I've told think I'm kidding and ask how I concentrated and kept my timing, etc. I guess it was ingrained however I was not as confident as I may have looked.

And to think I think I'm a better performer than teacher!

My first performance is this Saturday! I'm so nervous and excited! Just hope i get everything right. :laugh:

Yeah, those darn butterflies never go away and knowing that, I would love to be in your shoes that first performance.

Let us know how things turned out for you.....my quess is, you'll do just fine.

Edited by Ben Martinez

Some hints?

Relax. Deep breaths while you're walking to the gate. In for 4 counts, out for 4 counts, all the way to the gate.

Pay special attention during rehearsal on Saturday. Confidence helps nerves.

As best you can, while performing, just do what you're supposed to. Block out the distractions, and if you mess up, don't panic. Recover the best you can, and don't let it ruin the rest of your show.

Good luck. You'll do great!

My most nervous time was Prelims 2003. I felt more like a rookie then than I did ever before.

I recovered well for Finals 2003. :)

You'll do fine. Nerves aren't always a bad thing believe it or not! I hope yours is more a "nervous excitement" rather than n & e separately.

Trust me, if you've done your basics, learned your parts, and given 110% it should leave you soon after you step off. I bet you'll be able to control it once the show begins. ^OO^

^OO^

And don't worry about a thing, if you do your best that's all that really matters. I trust that you'll be happy with your performance. Please fell us in when you get a chance and let us know how it goes. :)

Break a leg!!!!

I began marching in 1955. But my rookie field performance in June of 1958, was not only my first "drum corps" performance but also the first drum corps performance for my "band". And strangely enough, no one really seemed nervous.

The De La Salle "Oaklands" Bugle Band had been wowing fans all over the country and much of the eastern U.S. states since 1910 but in late 1957 the powers-that-be decided "drum corps" (the American version of "bugle band") was the way of the future. So in March of 1958 our director took us to see six other local drum corps corps (who had made the transition a year or two earlier) perform at an indoor exhibition to see what we would be up against. Believe it or not we could tell in a flash where we were going to fit in even though we had not yet even seen a drum corps score sheet.

We were very confident we could beat the first five corps. But then when Preston Scout House came out it was a whole different story. If you ever saw these guys in the 50s or early 60s you would know what I mean. If you didn't, I don't think I can describe them to you. Awesome is an over-used word these days but back then there was no other possible description for them. It's a true tragedy that the portable video recorder was invented 40 years too late.

Sure enough, three months later at the Ontariuo Junior Drum Corps Championships at East York Stadium, we came in second exactly as we had predicted in March. But here's the bad news. In September, at the Canadian Championships in Galt, another "new" drum corps showed up and beat everyone. The Toronto Optimists took their first of eleven straight National Championships.

In June of 2001 the Preston Scout House, Canada's Famous (Alumni) "Bugle Band" took to the field in Hamilton, Ontario, to dazzle the crowd once again but this time I was proud to be marching with them. I consider this my second "rookie" performance. No nerves - but a tremendous thrill.

In of 2006 (what is it about June?) the Bayonne Bridgemen took to the field at the Tournament of Stars in Bayonne, NJ, and I call this my third rookie performance. No nerves - but what an incredible emotional experience. Like I said earlier. If you were there you know what I mean. If you weren't - there is no way to describe it. I've been marching in drum corps ("bugle bands") since 1955 and nothing I had ever done in drum corps came close to matching the thrill of the crowd's reaction as the Bridgemen came back to life.

Later in 2006, at the Alumni Spectacular in Rochester, I marched with both Scout House and Bridgemen. And both corps (along with the Caballeros) were voted "most entertaining" by the fans in the stadium. For 50 years, no corps I marched with ever won a championship. But in 2006, 51 years after my first "parade", I considered myself a double champion. Two Pepe Nataro "championships" in one day. That's what the fans said, and who am I to argue with them.

My was also in '63 at the New Yorks Worlds Fair.

If memory serves....

I was scared to death... My first time in Manning Bowl (Lynn Mass), in front of my family and around most of the Corps that I remembered watching and was in awe of....

It was 1963 and I was 9 yrs old... b**bs

It did get a LOT better in the other Corps I have had the honor of being a member of... :satisfied:

Some hints?

Relax. Deep breaths while you're walking to the gate. In for 4 counts, out for 4 counts, all the way to the gate.

Pay special attention during rehearsal on Saturday. Confidence helps nerves.

As best you can, while performing, just do what you're supposed to. Block out the distractions, and if you mess up, don't panic. Recover the best you can, and don't let it ruin the rest of your show.

Good luck. You'll do great!

You'll do fine. Nerves aren't always a bad thing believe it or not! I hope yours is more a "nervous excitement" rather than n & e separately.

Trust me, if you've done your basics, learned your parts, and given 110% it should leave you soon after you step off. I bet you'll be able to control it once the show begins. ^OO^

^OO^

And don't worry about a thing, if you do your best that's all that really matters. I trust that you'll be happy with your performance. Please fell us in when you get a chance and let us know how it goes. :)

Break a leg!!!!

Thanks so much guys for the advice! Will let you know how it goes.