• Bridgemen
    • Geneso Knights
    • Kiwanis Kavaliers

27th Lancers and Danny Boy :satisfied:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you have "Bridgemen" on your list...funny...I could have sworn that there was a corps at the DCA Alumni Spectacular as well as several North Eastern shows both DCI and DCA called the Bridgemen from Bayonne NJ.

That's funny. I could have swore that there was a corps from Canada called "Dutch Boy" competing in Division III competition. Also funny. I could have swore that there was this corps right on the heals of last years Division III defending champions called the Velvet Knights.

You = WRONG! And by wrong I mean "rude and disrespectful" to the current Spirit Drum & Bugle Corps. Just like "The Cadets" (which was yesterday's "Cadets of Bergen County" as well as yesterday's "Garfield Cadets" as well as yesterday's "Holy Name Cadets"), I am certain that the taday's "Spirit From JSU" is the same corps as yesterday's Spirit of Atlanta. In fact, I have friends who march that corps who tell me that when a kid ages out from that corps, they enter the "Spirit Of Atlanta Alumni Association". And last I saw, the delta is still showing on every item of that corps including their new uniforms.

And YOU are BEYOND rude and disrespectful. As if this corps hasn't been kicked enough already. Here we have 135 kids out their working their hardest just to keep the corps alive and you write them off as dead. Knock it off!

So, may I say to those of you I am responding to as well as anyone else who names a corps on this thread that still exists! STOP IT! You are being rude and disrespectfull to the people who put their heart and souls into these great drum corps.

Whoa just a minute!! I meant NO disrespect to Spirit as I have close ties to many Spirit Alumni and JSU folks through the Corpsvets. My point is that I miss having a Div I corps from the great metro area of Atlanta. I think it is a darn shame that a city of 5+ million folks and 6 or 7 BOA band programs is able to field two Senior Corps and a third on the way but NO Junior corps. I think most of these kids are all marching elswhere!!

without going back and referencing all the comments...

I take no offense to people referring to the Bridgemen as being defunct. The Bridgemen, as I (and I believe my fellow alumni believe), is gone (much to my displeasure :P )

the Bridgemen alumni corps is just that.. an alumni corps... and should never be looked at the same as the competitive junior corps. What we did as kids will always be looked at as something completely different.

Not that we don't LOVE doing the alumni corps thing... it's just not the same. :)

OK hold up there a little and take a deep breath. :P

Ok. :)

Bridgeman the competiting Open Class corps is gone. Have not had a chance to see the Alumni version but it is a fact the competiting Jr. corps is gone. I bet they are impressive though.

I had the pleasure of seeing their performance at the DCA Alumni Spectacular. My response: I cried. :) They were great! A sureal moment to say the very least.

I think the Spirit of Atlanta reference is semi-valid.

I disagree.

The big loud Georgia playing version kinda faded away.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they are still playing Georgia. Stand stills, encores etc. And every time I've seen them in recent yeards they make my ears bleed. So again, I disagree.

But I must say the latest incarnations were a throwback in style. Take the '06 show for example. So yes, these references are kinda questionable.

Now I agree.

Dutch Boy is gone. The Cadets of Dutch Boy dropped the Cadets name later and are now called Dutch Boy. Not a slam on Dutch Boy since I LOVED the South Park show last season. And maybe some day they will get back to finalist territory like the old corps.

But the corps and it's orginization is still active. So nobody should right them off as defunct.

[quopte]Velvet Knights are gone.

WHOA!!!! I'm not going to agree with this no matter how you try and rationalize it.

There is a new D III Corps that has formed under that name but they are not the Velvet Knights of old.

Matter of opinionated interpretation. If you are going to take that approach, every corps is a new corps for each new season. It may not be the same people but the reality is, they are the Southern California Velvet Knights and though one technicality ("youth arts orginizatuion" instead instead of "inc" at the end of their legal name), everything about them is of the same nature. Granted, they are not at their glory day's level yet but they are still the same corps in just a new outfit.

I do hope they make it to the outstanding level of their namesake though. Bravo for starting the new corps.

We agree.

I didn't see the Cadets or Madison references you mentioned but those are kinda weak.

The Cadets were not in the context of the discussion. I brought them up as a reference for how a corps sometimes changes location and name...i.e. Holy Name Cadets...Garfield Cadets....Cadets of Bergen County...all new names with new location but still THE SAME CORPS! I then make the case that Spirit's situation is no different than Cadet's. Different location, different name (or partial name)....but still the same corps.