1991 DCIs Best Year to Date?

78 members have voted

1. 1. Was 1991 DCIs Greatest Competitive Year to Date?

• YES
    • NO

While '91 has some fantastic shows -- especially the Cadets ballad (I still maintain that the Copland piece was one of the most theatrical presentations ever) and the Blue Devils (a show I referred to as "technically proficient without a heart" when I first saw it) has really turned into one of my favorites; but, I still think that best year top to bottom has to be 1990 with 1992 a close second. I have a theory that the years when DCI is absolutely solid from top to bottom, the champions are hopelessly undervalued because they aren't necessarily that far ahead of some other fantastic shows. I still think 1990 Cadets and 1992 Cavies are two completely under-appreciated and under-valued shows of all time. And the reson why is that everyone else was soooo strong.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

91 BD without a heart?

i don't think that show was meant have that all feel good kinda show.... it was Intense, in your face and loud!

that show was a 180 from tommy and all the latin jazz they had done before.... i think they were feeling things out in terms of what the fans would accept and what they might consider in the future. . fantastic horn line i agree. maybe one of the best all time...... as for without a heart....it all depends on how into the show you viewed.

Yup...90 was pretty tight going into the end....we had beat everyone, and everyone in the top 5 (except BD) had beaten us (Cadets)...it was nuts going into August. Only the 2 day child-beating in Birmingham that we went through made the difference for us.

I gotta say, 85 and 87 were also pretty fierce as the season wore on for the top 5.

I marched in 91, as well...I don't think it was competitive at the top AT ALL. Star had it locked up...2nd-4th was a jumble, but beyond that? Nahh.... I don't think it was a great year for DCI.

Yeah, I don't think any one corps won more than one regional in '90, though I could be wrong about that.

'87 always seemed pretty tight going down the stretch. '88 seemed that way as well, especially by finals. The way that the performance order was shuffled around kept everyone guessing. I liked it that way as a fan. It would have driven me crazy if I had marched that year.

Star had things sewn up early in '91 from a competitive standpoint. This year is shaping up to be an more competitive year. Probably stronger top to bottom as well, in my opinion.