Drum Corps in the internet era

As I sit here every night hitting the refresh button waiting for scores, I began thinking of how I used to get DCI scores.

In the late 80's the only way I got scores was from either going to shows or buying Drum Corps World. But by the time you got it the scores were at least a week or two old. There were no training camp videos, no youtube, nothing.

Then I remember calling scorpsline to get scores. But only for regionals, and finals week, I think.

Even a few years ago there was DCP, but with dial up it about drove me nuts.

Now we get the scores as they're being announced. Each performance is picked apart, which is both good and bad I think. We get a jump on the season as the corps start camps in the fall, not in mid June when the first shows start.

Basically any DCI info you ever want is now just a few clicks away. I don't know how I did it before.

I've learned so much about drum corps that I wouldn't have if not for the internet. Pretty neat - I think.

And I Thank God everyday that I live in this era of information.

And I Thank God everyday that I live in this era of information.

Here, here, brother (or sister :))

Man, if we didn't have the internet how could we ever have the weekly Bb vs. G arguments? I don't think I could go on. :)

I marched in from 74-81 and I am now playing in a drum line 1000 miles away. I get e-mails with the music, videos with sticking, I can download MP3s. Then I fly down to California, once a month and play with the ensemble. It really is amazing when compared to when I marched jr corps. Another great thing is that I can watch the parking lot videos of the drumlines.

Remember the official dci 1-900 number you could call to get scores? only .99 a minute...somewhere between dcw and internet. Oh yeah, those were the days!

You are so right - I can remember getting my first subscription to Drum Corps World in 1992. I was 12 and can remember waiting til the mail arrived every week and running to the mailbox to get my issue of DCW. I first jump to the score pages to see what was going on and then look at pictures. Wow, the internet has certainly impacted the activity.