Homer or Honk?

Should we change it?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. What should we call "that guy" from now on?

• Honk
    • Homer

Some of us refer to them as "homers" but today a new word has entered the vernacular and I think it's a worthy contender.
Honk isn't really knew to me. I have heard it for years in the context of sports discussions.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. First off, I think I"m highly qualified to report on and form an opinion on this subject. Here is my presentation. First off, please see avatar! Secondly, please see screenname. Thirdly, please see signature file. So, this is the basis for my decision on this, most worthy, of topics.

Scirbe too, I saw you on the "thread" that was the genesis for this one. (might I add a sidebar that this is a much more appropriate thread than that one) So, in my opinion, THAT guy is a HONK, albeit a NEGATIVE Honk, which is clearly possible.

I, on the other hand, am a HOMER. Both in word, deed, and Avatar. A homer cheers on their corps, appreciates the activity, has room to accept valid and well-pointed criticism, and supports the heck out of their corp. A HONK blindly ...well....HONKS for his corps w/o respect or admiration for others, does so without ANY empirical backup and doesn't listen to REASON. So, you can't take me away. I'm a HOMER and will be. I intend to never be a HONK. They are two different things in my book and, with much respect to Bawker (see, I can give respect, but disagree) Honk is NOT the new Homer.

What say you, Honk vs. Homer crowd??? :rock: D'oh!!!!!

PS More than a little thought went into picking my Avatar, but mostly it was becaus I saw the humor in being a Drum Corps "Homer"....not Honk

Alright, folks! now we're getting somewhere..

These are great arguments.. but you haven't addressed the humor factor..

"homer" is a tired kind of humor, IMO.. I mean come on.. how funny can the simpson's really be after.. what is it.. 15 years? :worthy:

And for the record.. I would take great delight in being called or referred to as a Cavie Honk.. that's funny as DUCK FEET.

(let's have some fun, you guys!!)

Edited by ScribeToo

Alright, folks! now we're getting somewhere..

These are great arguments.. but you haven't addressed the humor factor..

"homer" is a tired kind of humor, IMO.. I mean come on.. how funny can the simpson's really be after.. what is it.. 15 years? :worthy:

And for the record.. I would take great delight in being called or referred to as a Cavie Honk.. that's funny as DUCK.

(let's have some fun, you guys!!)

OK, on the humor side. I think I remember you saying that you loved the word "HONK" and that it made you laugh. So be it. Kind of like Will Ferrell in Elf. (Francisco, now THAT'S fun to say....Fraaaan Cissss Co) However, HONK actually isn't funny in what I feel it means vs. Homer which is much more light-hearted. Oh, Bill, stop being such a Homer for your team! So, I continue my argument and push for the Committee to abolish Homer and replace it with Honk to STOP THE MADNESS and realize they are two distinct words. Don't take away my HOMER!!! :)

I think it's time we put together a petition to all our favorite corps to make a simple shirt with the corps name and the word HONK on the front... so we can be identified at corps shows.

I'm late to the party. Please to explain "Honk"?

Please read my earlier post as I think I have defined it, at least how I interpret it. Others, please either correct MY narrow definition of Honk (it's nothing I'd want on a t-shirt) as I think it has a more negative connotation than Homer does.

"Honk" is the replacement term for "homer" (at least that's what I'm trying to get done, here..)

It's a term of "endearment" for someone who roots for the home team at all costs and even when they are totally in the wrong ..

I think "honk" (like honking a horn) is way funnier and "homer" is old and tired and is more derogatory than the bright, new term "honk."

The word Honk is killing drum corps.

RIP DCI 1972-2007

NilePyramidsBW1918.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA!!