The "Next Big Thing" Artistically...

With regard to motion on the field, i think the cavaliers are on the right track this year. I find nothing standoutish about their drill itself, but their much-maligned roll-on-the ground move has some serious merit.

wow, I almost peed myself when I read this...

anyway, The next big thing in drum corps is the elimination of competition from the activity.

Think about it- once this is gone, there is complete freedom to do whatever one wants. Want to have 100 guard members set against a corps of 20 players? Go for it! if it is entertaining, people will love you! Stupid rules (no electronic instruments, sideline rules, timing rules, lighting, explosives, corps member numbers, etc.) can be done away with and designers can finally start focusing in %100 on audience entertainment.

There is no competition in Broadway shows, or orchestral concerts...why should there be in Drum Corps?

I'm sure people dont come to the shows simply for the competition aspect - They could sit here and read recaps on DCP all day if thats all they wanted.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget the Bridgemen, The 1980 Santa Clara Vanguard and the Academie Musicale.

Thanks for the compliment. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

The most underrated show in drum corps history?

Pete Emmons said that show was one of his greatest achievements in "Brass Roots".

I loved marching that show.

Ready to do it all over again in the KAC! B)

I feel like a kid in a candy store reading this thread!!!! Some of these ideas are so off the wall and yet i REALLY would love to see them attempted. :D

:) b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs :worthy::worthy::worthy: :lolhit: :lolhit:

Your topic is so poignant, It will probably get ignored.

This is a great line! Or something better to say would be that it will be, in the words of another poster, "much maligned."

I think it's funny how threads like this usually end up with people complaining. In this case, complaining about the current BIG THINGS that people think are ruining the activity.

I thought about it, and it's true. The "next big things" are likely to be those things that people don't like at first. The Cavaliers rolling on the ground might be an example. When I first saw that, I thought, "OMG, two people just fell down!" Then the second time it happened, I thought, "WHY are they doing THAT??"

Marc Sylvester once said that we should embrace the moments that are unexpected or uncomfortable, because those are the best ones. Or something like that...