Drum Corps Mythbusters!

Clark Decker? Marched Sky Ryders?

(Might have the last name wrong - I'm thinking of a snare who's brother Garret(sp) also marched sop in Star and also had previously marched Sky)

I think I remember that garett and clark were the gardner(sp) brothers. (my memory is getiing hazy after all those years) :doh:

on edit.. didnt see your post clark... hi to you and your brother. :)

Edited by kmanv

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our distiguished and assembled staff will attempt to debunk your myth on this week's episode of...

<cue theme music>

Drum Corps Myth Busters!

Myth: The 1975 Hawthorne Muchacho's preliminary scores would have made them DCI champions!

Truth: The score sheets were collected before they were tabulated. After the event, the manila envelope containing all of the score sheets was burned. Nobody ever looked at the sheets. Nobody could have tallied the scores. They are not locked in a vault somewhere.

This myth is BUSTED

• 3 weeks later...

Cool... the mythbuster thread created a myth of it's own....

Fact or Fiction: The "Spank Me" guys were sitting in the upper tier at the Citrus Bowl (DCI 1996)

Believe what you want to believe. But you really lose all credibility when you tell those of us who were there and heard it happen that you don't believe it happened, just because you did not hear it at the shows you went to.

The Holocaust never happened either.

[/sarcasm]

Why do *I* need to do that? YOU haven't separated those concepts. Here is what you wrote:

"Myth......" '93 Star of Indiana's show was so advanced for their time that a lot of fans didn't appreciate their legendary greatness and they were often booed "

You didn't specify WHEN the booing was going on. For that matter, I don't think ANYONE has ever claimed that Star was booed DURING their show. If someone HAS claimed that, please show me. Here is another post from you on the matter:

Well, you just weren't at the right shows, apparently. And I've just given you three examples of booing that occurred at the expense of Star. If you were at DATR in 1993, you would have heard the immense crowd reaction to Star finally losing to the Cadets. That was not a friendly crowd toward Star. At Finals, I remember the very polite applause Star received after winning Quarterfinals with something like a 97.8. There was also some booing. You cannot deny that the crowd went into a frenzy when Cadets won on Finals night. I don't think this was simply because of love for the Cadets, and if YOU believe that, then you are naive.

Those of us who were involved full-time with the 1993 season KNOW that Star was not popular with the crowd. We heard it in the crowd reactions, we heard it when talking to fans after the show (one particularly vehement chick insisted that Star sucked and we should have won the show at Star's own home show!) If you went to just Semis and Finals, then i don't expect you to really know the depth of the venom Star received.

It should be enough that all of us who marched in 1993 sensed it and heard it and saw it. But that is not enough for you, you would rather trust your preconceived notions, so I will bid you adieu.

I recall being in Ypsilanti in 1993 and two old ladies behind me who kept saying "when are you going to show me something?" while Star was on.

Um...wasn't it Scott Stewart that selected the card? Or am I misremembering that?

Scott picked it. George Hopkins picked for Cadets.

I was in Toledo for that show too. I'm glad someone else can verify that Star did that show in their 92 uni. :)

Star didn't get their new unis until POC. I remember all the discussion of how they finally were wearing them.

Busted.....it was one snare and one brass (French horn, I believe) and it was a week or so before nats. They were overage and had faked IDs that fooled not only Gail and DCI, but US immigration (they came over from England).

So, how did they get caught?