Time to eliminate QF, give Thursday night to D2/3?

Eliminating the Thursday show  

141 members have voted

1. 1. I have attended Quarterfinals on Thursday at least once

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. I would be in favor of:

• Leaving QF/SF/Finals as is
    • Eliminating QF altogether
    • Elimiating QF only if Division 2/3 get the Thursday Night slot for their Championship
  3. 3. Typically, QF attendance is around 8k. D2/3 Finals is typically half.

• Switching would make up the difference
    • D2/3 Finals wouldn't match the attendance of a Quarterfinals

There is one problem...different rules currently for D2/3 from D1. There is a shorter time limit for these corps; and they are on different sheets with different standards. I have never cared for these different standards anyhow (was this devised to keep D2/3 corps from 'showing up' some of the D1's? After all; it is the D1 directors who make the rules...); as it eliminated any sense of competition and measuring sticks for these corps.

I also, IMHO, believe that the seperation caused by the wall from the D1 Worlds has made it more difficult for these corps to develop into true D1 corps. There is just very little hope under the present system for these corps to get the exposure needed to draw personel at the level they need to make the jump. (Again, is this by design?) I know Blue Star and Academy can be pointed out; but these are exceptions. Now you cannot even have a Spirit or a Star of Indiana pop out of nowhere without spending time in D2 (even if they are out of the gate D1 competitive...); I do not think either one of those corps would have dealt with that.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing that I really miss is the Div II/III finals combined with the Opening Ceremonies and I&E Winners. It was a great night.

I miss when they went to that format too. It was non-stop action all night.

Personally I would prefer to keep QF on Thursday. Nothing against Div II/III, but when traveling from far away, my purpose is to see the Div. I corps. Sometimes the 3 nights are the only time I'll see certain corps for the entire year. Just like this year I will only get to see Cadets, Bluecoats, G-Men and a couple others at championships. I like getting a read on them all three nights. Would I love to see the top Div. II/III compete in QF like in the past? You betcha!

As much as I would like to spend all week at championships, like many flying in on Wednesday or later in the week is the only option due to work. I like when DCI holds finals at the same stadium though. I tend to check out Div. II/III finals when it's going to be at the same location. I figure I'll just get there a little early and spend all day watching drum corps. I don't like the split to a smaller stadium, but I understand the logistics DCI faces with the stadium management.

Edited by Whiskey

The one thing that I really miss is the Div II/III finals combined with the Opening Ceremonies and I&E Winners. It was a great night.
Have they recently had any sort of Showcase of Champions sort of show? I caught a little of that in Jackson, it was cool.