NEW ALL-AGE CORPS FORMING

I understand that. Good for you and others that have had such a great thing happen for them. That has happened for Many, Many years. Even before DCA, people have gone both ways.

BUT, what I am talking about is how a Very LARGE portion of DCI types consider DCA member groups to be no more than a Div II group. One you should desire to leave to IMPROVE yourself. That I do not agree with. People march in the different area's for many reasons. Reasons that have Nothing at all to do with the Quality of DCI or DCA groups.

I ask you. Would you think of the Reading Buccaneers of this and the last two years to be thought of with the Spartans, Surf Div II groups. OR, would you think of yourself more as a Div I group more like Carolina Crown, SCV, Phantom, Blue Knights, or a Boston Crusaders level?

From what I remember from 87, there was a significant gap between the average Jr and teh average Sr in terms of show design and skill...I could not truly compare Empire's 87 show (8th place) with 87 Star or VK (tie that year).

Nowadays, however, the gap's a LOT smaller...I would stack up 03 Renegades (6th)against 03 Boston (6th) easily...not so much in the sheer physicality of the programs (old guys can;t move like the young guys), but in terms of show quality and design? Heck yeah...'Gades' opener that year was one of the best I've ever heard -- in DCI OR DCA. THAT'S part of the fallout from young kids learning in a Sr, getting it fine tuned in a jr, and bringing it back to a sr.

But there are plenty of people who can develop themselves just fine in a Sr....something that wasn;t as possible back in the day.

years ago DCA could have been termed a farm system for DCI....now it's just another opportunity to perform at a higher level.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( why can't south carolina have an all age drum corps?!?!?!? Good luck though :)

So, is this corps really going to happen?

Ben Martinez asked me the same thing at the BD picnic Saturday...the answer is yes...as much as i can make it happen.

I need to follow up with Dave T again about the school's decision, then we can set the initial management meeting (I'm looking at Aug 25, but that's not set in stone yet).

If I wasn't serious about it, I would not have made the original post.

Now about DC united.... ^0^

Now about DC united.... ^0^

Drum Corps United is the name of the alliance between Dream and Renegades.

More tba.

Now, go form your corps ... only two senior corps ain't gonna do it.

Drum Corps United is the name of the alliance between Dream and Renegades.

More tba.

Now, go form your corps ... only two senior corps ain't gonna do it.

Well with me you'd have three...four if the group to replace RCR gets going...