NEW ALL-AGE CORPS FORMING

Ryan - With all due respect, I think you are looking at the glass half empty. If you visualize success and believe, it will happen. If you convince yourself why it can't work, you will fail.

Far be it beyond me to put words in someone's mouth (heh) but what I think Ryan was saying....rather than being a pessimist is that people are chiming in here about how easy it should be to have at least half a dozen drum corps in the LA area because of the sheer numbers and I think Ryan was trying to point out that it takes alot more than warm bodies to make a drum corps work.

However, I agree w/ what you're saying that if you focus on all the things that can be a hinderance, you're not going to get out of the starting gate.

Give me 7 people and a ham sammich and get the h### out of my way! ^0^

Rock on.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just disagreed with the idea of changing the moniker of the activity to "all age" so that "senior corps" get to recruit juniors away from the junior corps.

I don't think this is an accurate statement at all, at least not out west anyway. The all age corps out here do not recruit juniors away from junior corps. They may accept people who are 18-21 who don't have the time, money, or experience to do a junior corps. Heck, I know of at least one Mandarins age out this year who started drum corps with RCR, and got good enough to make their drum line.

From my perspective, the trend away from "senior" corps simply is because the term "senior" carries a connotation of being "senior citizen", which certainly is not an accurate decription. And it's difficult term to get past when trying to introduce your product to new people who haven't had drum corps experience. And when you think about it, how many "junior" corps use that term in their name?

I don't think this is an accurate statement at all, at least not out west anyway. The all age corps out here do not recruit juniors away from junior corps. They may accept people who are 18-21 who don't have the time, money, or experience to do a junior corps. Heck, I know of at least one Mandarins age out this year who started drum corps with RCR, and got good enough to make their drum line.

I think in one instance it IS accurate out west. The corps in question's entire drumline one year were all high school kids. All I'm saying is a few under age people are fine, but when they become the "majority" of the corps I think that corps then should just go junior?

From my perspective, the trend away from "senior" corps simply is because the term "senior" carries a connotation of being "senior citizen", which certainly is not an accurate decription. And it's difficult term to get past when trying to introduce your product to new people who haven't had drum corps experience. And when you think about it, how many "junior" corps use that term in their name?

I kinda thought that too about the term "senior", haha.(where's my walker, lol.) But, I wasn't talking really about using "senior" or "junior" or "all age" in a corps name but rather having captions/divisions for them. B) Obviously and of course you don't much hear of "BD junior corps",etc.

I think in one instance it IS accurate out west. The corps in question's entire drumline one year were all high school kids.

I guess my point is, just because they have kids of junior corps age doesn't mean they recruited away from a junior corps. Those kids may have auditioned for and been cut by a junior corps, or they may have had no interest in doing a junior corps because of the time and money commitment.

I have a name for your corps Sam.

"SIC"

Sam Is Crazy.

I can hear all the skateboarders now..."Who is that?...Oh!! that corps is SIC!"

See..that way your cool to begin with, you know.....you know.....uh....... :( ...nevermind.

I was never cool...never!

Lisa...yeah...I learned with Nightfire that going on guts and enthusiasm don' work to well.

I guess my point is, just because they have kids of junior corps age doesn't mean they recruited away from a junior corps. Those kids may have auditioned for and been cut by a junior corps, or they may have had no interest in doing a junior corps because of the time and money commitment.

OR.....there was no drumline for the next season so they brought in an entire junior age winter drumline so they could compete? I'm saying I do believe there are a couple instances where an "all age" are hurting for membership that they'll actively recruit junior kids. I'm not saying all, but I do know of one. Originally they pointed most junior age kids to the local junior corps. Only after the kids went and either couldn't afford it as you say or didn't make it THEN they came into the "all age/senior" one. No problem with that.

Edited by PaNors77

Of course they shouldn't "have" to go to DCI. I think DCA should open up a junior division is all. And DCI a senior. Just my .002 anyway ok? :doh:

DCA has to change their finals weekend for this to happen. Many kids are already in school by then.

This even causes us problems with potential members that are Music Instructors/Teachers.