NEW ALL-AGE CORPS FORMING

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...might I suggest you stay on the 5 and take the 110 south into Torrance, then to the 405 north to get to the exit on Western (Which is about a mile up fro the interchange)? That's the route I was taking from Pacoima last year, and it moved surprisingly well going TO rehearsal.

Thanks a bunch for the different route. When I'm allowed to drive again (long story, medically related) I'll check this out. Thanks.

Until then I'll continue working on my honorary public transportation degree.

Thanks a bunch for the different route. When I'm allowed to drive again (long story, medically related) I'll check this out. Thanks.

Until then I'll continue working on my honorary public transportation degree.

No prob...I was actually surprised the 110 moved as well as it did....but then again, who's awake to clog the roads that early on a weekend?

That's a drive I AIN'T gonna miss!

I would agree with the first part of this post at least: "Why DCA"? "You're just adding a lot of expense and extra burden on members to travel, compete and not make any money."

In my opinion, there is way too much pressure put on Senior / All Age Corps from outside of the Northeast to travel to the DCA championships every year. As DCIHasBeen stated this is costing the members of these corps a tremendous amount of money in travel expenses and not really benefiting the corps financially at all.

I disagree with the statement about pressure to travel. The only pressure is that going to DCA is fun.

The only reason to travel to DCA is because it is by far the most enjoyable part of the season. True, it is expensive, making the cost of being in a California senior corps equivalent to a high school band trip to New York, or getting your color guard members to Dayton for WGI, but I would argue that the fun of a trip to DCA is one of the main reasons many of our members join the Renegades.

It sure isn't performing in 100 degree heat at 5:00 in the afternoon for 50 people. That's one of the reasons we never have a full corps in California. But always have a full corps at DCA.

To the point of financial benefit - this is drum corps. There is no financial benefit to performing. None. It COSTS money for drum corps to perform (travel, staff, etc). Even the top junior corps lose money doing shows. Yes, they get an appearance fee (which is denied to all age corps in DCI shows), but it is hardly ever equal to the costs of travelling to the show.

A solid financial base uses other means to finance the corps. My corps does not have a bingo game or any other type of recurring funding source. So our members pay their own way. We would LOVE to have a regular source of funding, and will continue to work to develop income sources that will contribute to the subsidy of staff and travel.

Note: I am not attacking - just presenting the semi-realistic view of someone who built a corps into a travelling DCA member. I am also a former band director who took his students on 4-5 day trips that cost more than being in the Renegades for a year.

Good luck with your corps, Sam!!

Edited by randomnoise

I disagree with the statement about pressure to travel. The only pressure is that going to DCA is fun.

The only reason to travel to DCA is because it is by far the most enjoyable part of the season. True, it is expensive, making the cost of being in a California senior corps equivalent to a high school band trip to New York, or getting your color guard members to Dayton for WGI, but I would argue that the fun of a trip to DCA is one of the main reasons many of our members join the Renegades.

'Course the difference between an established power like Renegades and a new corps going for the first time is you guys are pretty much assured a spot in finals -- meaning 2 performances -- unless you totally and utterly tank (which -- 05 mini corps ending aside -- just doesn;t happen with 'Gades)...a small start up spending the multiple 10s of thousands of dollars to go across the country for one show is a formula for doom....no point going and having a good time if you can't survive the next season.

If, somehow by the grace of Bill Cook I get funding i MIGHT consider taking the corps back...but not until I can be assured we'd survive to the next year.

For right now, I'll keep it in California.

there's a new one in Sacramento too......but I'm not part of it......(yet) so it's not my place to discuss.....heheheheheh

Chops 2?

Chops 2?

*snicker* That would be funny....you two could do the exact show, just with Chops1 marching teh even dots and Chops2 the odd....then merge them together for DCa and have a bigger corps! (a suggestion which was actually made to me on teh BD board)

'Course the difference between an established power like Renegades and a new corps going for the first time is you guys are pretty much assured a spot in finals -- meaning 2 performances -- unless you totally and utterly tank (which -- 05 mini corps ending aside -- just doesn;t happen with 'Gades)...a small start up spending the multiple 10s of thousands of dollars to go across the country for one show is a formula for doom....no point going and having a good time if you can't survive the next season.

If, somehow by the grace of Bill Cook I get funding i MIGHT consider taking the corps back...but not until I can be assured we'd survive to the next year.

For right now, I'll keep it in California.

We didn't have that assurance in 2001 when we took a mini corps there for the first time.....and won.

We didn't have that assurance in 2002 when we took a full corps there for the first time...and made finals.

There are very few assurances in life. Having modest, attainable goals is good. Not starting a corps and saying "We're going to win DCA this year" is smart. Your goal should ALWAYS and ONLY be to be a better <insert corps name> than you were last year. HOWEVER, having said that..... without the "take no prisoners, do or die" attitude our founders had, Renegades WOULD NOT be where they are today. I think far too many corps fail because they try to bite off too MUCH or too LITTLE.

HOWEVER, having said that..... without the "take no prisoners, do or die" attitude our founders had, Renegades WOULD NOT be where they are today. I think far too many corps fail because they try to bite off too MUCH or too LITTLE.

Go Lisa!!........I love that kind of talk. :wink::wink::wink::doh::wub:

Ben

We didn't have that assurance in 2001 when we took a mini corps there for the first time.....and won.

We didn't have that assurance in 2002 when we took a full corps there for the first time...and made finals.

There are very few assurances in life. Having modest, attainable goals is good. Not starting a corps and saying "We're going to win DCA this year" is smart. Your goal should ALWAYS and ONLY be to be a better <insert corps name> than you were last year. HOWEVER, having said that..... without the "take no prisoners, do or die" attitude our founders had, Renegades WOULD NOT be where they are today. I think far too many corps fail because they try to bite off too MUCH or too LITTLE.

Lemme clarify that (I was still a bit sleepy)...i was referring to the full corps, not the mini corps....and after seeing you in 2002, I had no doubt finals was in teh cards....you were just too strong...but you guys were breaking entirely new ground back then. TODAY if anyone was to bet against Renegades making finals, they'd do well to mortgage the house to cover teh bet. (which was where I was going)