DCI 101

Easy and clean usually wins out, unfortunately. It is really hard to come up with a number and criteria that bridges this gap...so it will always remain subjective. I will personally favor difficult vs. easy....but to a certain degree. We are talking about achievement in the end. How dirty? How hard? The cavies and blue devils are really great at masking their level of difficulty. It looks hard, and it sounds hard, but when you peel away levels and really look at what is going on, the real tough stuff visually is being performed by tacet playing members. Rarely is there tough music and tough visual demancds at the same time.

In a sompetitive world, this is genius how they wrap it together and produce it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the "short bus" comment was added in jest.

I can't believe someone would waste space in jest, would they?

I did learn new busses hold 55 people while I remember our busses held 45 or so people, allowing for corps expansion up to 150 with only three busses. So DCI is increasing the number of performers based on new(er) bus sizes. Once again, you have to be rich and spend money on new busses (or drive an extra bus) to stay competitive. I think DCI should negotiaite a national bus contract for any interested parties. I have heard that a couple or few corps were considering negotiating a volume package, but haven't been involved with that aspect for a couple years.

Why do people need to say silly things while corps are performing? Seems disrespectful to me.

Edited by hsreed

"slotting" and "seeding" ... two terms I have heard steadily since the '70's. But I don't buy into the fact that either actually really happens. I believe if that were the case, it would only take a few simple spreadsheets to show trends year to year that would prove "slotting" or "seeding" and we could show collusion.

Ranking and rating are the common terms. Ranking the corps in the correct order and rating them appropriately, given the rubric on the back of the sheets. These are the responsibilities of adjudicators. It does not require collusion, just reading the corps accurately. Note that this happens during the season, not year over year.

On the subject of seeding - this is the process of using previous scores to set performance order. This is definitely used in DCI, but not year over year.

Slotting is more subjective. GGarrrett doesn't buy it, I do. But I do not think it is a conspiracy. More like the way you know that Blue Knights will not be in the same league as Blue Devils. But again, your "slot" from a scoring perspective (IMO) is determined by the notes on the back of the sheet (Box 3, Box 4, Box 5).

The problem is that there's no definition of an 8.0 or something similar.

Actually, there is. It is printed on the back of the sheet and describes what type of performance gets a certain number.

I'm curious to know if Phantom has ever done Carmina Burana, and if not... why?

They have not done it according to corpsreps.com. The last corps to do it was the Raiders in 2003 and Blue Stars in 2000.

So much of that piece has Phantom Regiment written all over it.