Cavies Music Reception - Now vs. Then

I think the cavies show is amaizing. If by weak you mean since the SA show, cuz thats the first time I saw it, I talked to Burtman and Donnie Hall after the show and from the point of where the Cavies do the acompany front at the end all the way to the end was Brand new added on just the day before the San Antonio show. Cavies may not sound as strong as some other corps but you have to admit there doing somthing along with other select few being crossmen, crown, bluecoats, scouts, and even troopers, that other corps arent doing. MARCHING AND PLAYING AT THE SAME TIME. Phantom and Blue devils were strong musically but there marching show was extremly easy. BD would play really loud then march a couple sets playing easy parts of the show then park and blow and repeat the whole show. Give it one good rehersal day Cavies will be strong again and get all the new stuff down. And they still have the best drill than any corps ive seen this year, and ive seen all the div 1.

:)

you're funny :P :P :P :P

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the cavies show is amaizing. If by weak you mean since the SA show, cuz thats the first time I saw it, I talked to Burtman and Donnie Hall after the show and from the point of where the Cavies do the acompany front at the end all the way to the end was Brand new added on just the day before the San Antonio show. Cavies may not sound as strong as some other corps but you have to admit there doing somthing along with other select few being crossmen, crown, bluecoats, scouts, and even troopers, that other corps arent doing. MARCHING AND PLAYING AT THE SAME TIME. Phantom and Blue devils were strong musically but there marching show was extremly easy. BD would play really loud then march a couple sets playing easy parts of the show then park and blow and repeat the whole show. Give it one good rehersal day Cavies will be strong again and get all the new stuff down. And they still have the best drill than any corps ive seen this year, and ive seen all the div 1.

this is a rather amusing post considering there was another entire thread dedicated to how the Cavies don't march and play at the same...check it out

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=100887

Now that post is funny, you cant honestly tell me cavies stand still and play. the cavies alone had more sets then some of the other top corps entire show within there first phrase of music. Not to hate on BD but look at them, seriously I think they do it the most this year. I enjoy them musically i just wish there was a bit more marching with it. Crossmen are moving alot more then alot of the corps beeting them to. And on the post the guy said hes tired of the visuale scores teh cavies are getting. You cant tell me that any of the other corps drill is really as difficult as the cavies.. In some opinions the cavies show may not be as difficult as previouse cavies show but its still the most demanding show out there.

for convenience sake, I'll just repost some of the data truman got by putting the Cavies show to a stopwatch....

it is awful hard to argue against this kind of analysis when it is so clearly verified...

First off, let it be known that I am not a Cavie fan.

I'm really getting tired of the visual and music scores they get year after year. My argument is that the visual judges, when considering difficulty, do not factor whether there is any playing being done by those who are executing the kaleidescope drill moves. The brass judge also doesn't seem to factor in how difficult it is to play a part while moving, as opposed to standing still.

I charted the Atlanta webcast, and the results are below:

Bold means they were playing while moving at at least some pace

Italic is playing while moving very slowly

Starts: 0:31 to 1:03 Solo

1:04 to 1:16 play and move building chords “backfield"

1:18 to 1:40 saunter forward

1:41 to 2:18 Drum break with opening visual moves---rolling around

2:16 to 2:22 they play while building to a standstill horn hit

2:23 to 2:25 standstill horn hit

2:26 to 2:34 drum break

2:35 to 2:45 they play while moving, while some horns are really moving. They are the ones not playing, the ones playing some tasty licks are stepping at half speed

2:46 to 2:55 they again seem to play while building another horn impact

2:56 to 3:00 standstill horn impact

3:01 to 3:08 drum break

3:09 to 3:13 play while moving

3:14 to 3:24 another drum break

3:25 to 3:28 play while moving

3:29 to 3:36 standstill while some roll on ground

3:37 to 3:51 walking into final chord of opener

3:52 to 4:00 applause

4:00 to 4:40 drum break solo

4:41 to 5:10 They build the connecting semi circles, the ones playing are the ones standing still

5:11 to 5:15 they play while stepping very slowly

5:16 to 5:36 most of the horn line is out, those playing are moving forward very slowly

5:37 to 5:45 playing impact chords while moving very slowly

5:46 to 5:55 standstill impact

5:56 to 6:55 drum breaks

6:56 to 7:03 some tasty horn playing…standing still

7:04 to 7:13 drum break

7:14 to 7:22 play while moving very slowly

7:23 to 7:25 standstill horn impact

7:26 to 7:34 drumbreak

7:35 to 7:54 play while moving…again very slowly

7:55 to 8:37 drum break

8:38 to 8:44 play while building another standstill horn hit

8:45 to 8:50 drum break

8:51 to 9:08 play chords while moving form very slowly

9:09 to 9:13 drum break

9:14 to 9:18 play chords

9:19 to 9:22 standstill horn impact

9:23 to 9:54 drum break

9:55 to 10:25 play while moving—chords—backfield

10:26 to 10:38 drum break

10:39 to 10:55 company front-play while moving forward, some half time some full

10:56 to 11:06 play while moving form slowly

11:06 to 11:16 final chord at standstill

Here's how it works out:

The hornline plays a total of 222 seconds, (less than 4 minutes) while moving in some way

132 seconds of that, more than half, is playing while moving very slowly

Of the 90 seconds that they are actually moving with any speed while playing, almost half is chords played backfield

Of the 48 seconds thay actually play on the move while facing front, most of the time it is for less than 10 seconds at a time. The one time at the end of the show when it is for 16 seconds, half of the ones moving are at half time.

For comparison, PR plays more on the move, really moving, in the first 2:00 minutes of their show.

Is this the design that DCI wants? Should it be considered "clever" to mask this visual supremecy with not playing? How can the degree of difficulty not be penalized?

Discuss...

Edited by KingJoeVII

Very interesting criticism coming from the Cavaliers. Didn't the board just spend like an entire day reviewing the detailed breakdown of the Cavies show which demonstrated the exact opposite of your statement here? Now, unless you are referring exclusively to the new closer (which I've not seen), I think the Cavies are actually the corps that has the players standing while playing anything other than basic chords and other filler the most. Don't get me wrong, they also do the best job of creating the illusion of everyone constantly moving. It's what they do probably better than anyone else out there. Also, since the horn book is also probably the easiest in the top 7, they really don't have much demand to begin with, so marching and playing shouldn't really pose much of a problem for them to begin with.

IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO

Someone else mentioned it, but I'm less thrilled by the music becasue I feel they cheated the music by putting what is becoming their same-old drill on top of it. The drill totally overwhelms the music and very often does little to add another dimention to the music.

Their drill writing really seems to fit better to rhythmic, percussive sounds and not as well to lyrical and melodic lines. So they have to fill inbetween the Billy Joel melodies with crazy drumming and insane keyboard parts in order to have places to do the amazing drill sets that don't fit with the melodic lines. Results being that it takes too much away from the melodic lines and it becomes just another version of the same Cavies show we've seen seince at least 2001.

IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO - - IMHO

Regardless of what they are playing and when, they easily move more than any of the corps. That is easy to see.

this might be true...

maaaybeeee

I do appreciate someone commenting on their strengths, instead of defending their weaknesses

and thats the best you'll get out of me :P

Well, if it's not the Cavaliers, I would definitely say it's the Cadets. I love the move where the two circles are spinning in the rectangle moving across the field.