Should the Friends of DCI have BOD representation?

Friends of DCI representation on DCI BOD  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be seats on the DCI BOD filled from the Friends of DCI?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other considerations (see below)

I would dare say its time to look at getting some "major leaguers" into the realm of DCI's BOD...people who have no idea about the artistic side, but plenty of know how on the business end.

As one who sat on the board of a fledgling corps for a few years, I can appreciate this suggestion. I daresay, one of the reasons the corps isn't around today is that no one on the board or on staff had any business acumen.

My one reservation, however, would be that non-corps people -- in their zealous efforts to bring financial solvency and increased marketability --might transform drum corps into an activity that we no longer recognize as such. We're already treading that slippery slope now. Do we really want to entrust the activity to those whose only interests concern profit margins?

I agree somewhat...but how can we get the correct people into directors chairs so we don't have a repeat of Cap Reg or Esperanza in the years to come?

We must educate in all aspects. The performances on the field are such a small part of what has to be done to establish, sustain and create membership/revenue/education.

Too often the rush to get to the 'end result' flames a corps out (looking at you, Tarheel Sun).

Tarheel Sun is not a good example in this case. They had more pressing internal issues

My one reservation, however, would be that non-corps people -- in their zealous efforts to bring financial solvency and increased marketability --might transform drum corps into an activity that we no longer recognize as such. We're already treading that slippery slope now. Do we really want to entrust the activity to those whose only interests concern profit margins?

We're not talking about completely handing over the reins to them. We're talking about giving them a voice at the highest level of DCI management. They have valuable experience, and differing points of view they can bring to the activity.

Or you could always put out the call for DCI alumni who work in the financial sector... we don't all turn out to be band directors.

Well, I think if we establish ground rules...the BOD can veto creativity/marketability suggestions, but must take financial/legal suggestion at least to a full vote, etc... we could see some checks and balances enacted.

Let the creators create, let the numbers folks try to put us even more into the black.

How great would it be to have a "task force" of this when you start a corps:

-a retired financial advisor/CFO type

(think a bank vice president, etc)

-a retired CEO of a mid/large company

(think a local business leader in that corps area)

-a newer Div. I director

(looking at you, Richardson at Academy)

-a "mentor", or older Div. I director

(Fiedler, Hop, Glasgow)

...that are assigned to you to answer questions, participate in conference call, etc you may have as you start your organization, even so far as having your first year unit follow the "mentor" corps around on a small portion of their tour to see the logisitics at work, and to be there if anything happens.

The payoff could be tremendous. :)

Well, I think if we establish ground rules...the BOD can veto creativity/marketability suggestions, but must take financial/legal suggestion at least to a full vote, etc... we could see some checks and balances enacted.

Let the creators create, let the numbers folks try to put us even more into the black.

How great would it be to have a "task force" of this when you start a corps:

-a retired financial advisor/CFO type

(think a bank vice president, etc)

-a retired CEO of a mid/large company

(think a local business leader in that corps area)

-a newer Div. I director

(looking at you, Richardson at Academy)

-a "mentor", or older Div. I director

(Fiedler, Hop, Glasgow)

...that are assigned to you to answer questions, participate in conference call, etc you may have as you start your organization, even so far as having your first year unit follow the "mentor" corps around on a small portion of their tour to see the logisitics at work, and to be there if anything happens.

The payoff could be tremendous. :)

Ooooooohhhhhhh!!!!! My new favorite DCP person in the whole world--er, planet!

Wow! I've already elicited more great suggestions in one thread than in nearly a year's worth of asking business questions! Keep 'em coming!

Now, building on bawker's ideas--how many banks that hold the notes on a DC's buses, trucks, trailers, horns, etc would like to have a VP on their BOD's? Answer: Maybe not 100%, but I sure would!! Some corps have, what--$400k worth of notes? I'd sure like to know that those are secure, and being on the BOD and being able to have a bit more say so in this is a GREAT idea.

Now, I'm sure this isn't unique, and that many corps HAVE or HAVE HAD bank VP's on their BOD. Just hadn't thought that deep personally! Great idea. Kudos on the mentoring idea, too. I also suspect that this happens to some degree and have spoken to directors/former directors who confirm that the BIG BOYS are perfectly willing to give you their 2 cents--positive AND, shall we say, less than positive!

As far as DCI goes, GREAT suggestions, guys. Keep 'em coming. No, not all of us end up as Band Directors, and not ALL of the comments on DCP are anti-forward thinking. If enough of these good suggestions come to light, I'm willing to bet the corps and DCI would listen eventually. They did the text message thing for hot chops, after all!

I agree--this line of thought at the DCI level could result in tremendous payout, too, and I don't just mean money payout.

Now, building on bawker's ideas--how many banks that hold the notes on a DC's buses, trucks, trailers, horns, etc would like to have a VP on their BOD's? Answer: Maybe not 100%, but I sure would!! Some corps have, what--$400k worth of notes? I'd sure like to know that those are secure, and being on the BOD and being able to have a bit more say so in this is a GREAT idea.

Best case scenario is that members of your BoD are NOT connected thru deals/loans etc. Your BoD should be independant of the the operations of the org -- i.e., no conflicts of interest. Sometimes lenders or partners take Board positions as a condition of the loan/partnership, but that is usually accomplished because of the leverage of the loan/partnership and puts that person in a position of oversight to their own interests. Not the best situation. DCI is (for the most part) free of encumberances from outside forces, so if they want to expand their board to include non-drum corps folks, business folks, whatever, they should look for completely independant candidates.

However, to your point. If I were a bank loaning money to DCI (or to a corps) I would definitely feel better if there wer SOMEONE on the board who had a financial/business perspective to offer, even if they weren't from my bank.

Edited by Liam

So the question is this. Would you favor having DCI Board of Directors seats to be filled by Friends of DCI contributors?

I'd rather see qualified business professionals (CPA's, attorneys, corporate CEO/CFO's etc.) on the Board than someone whose qualification is merely that they wrote a big check. Then again, it depends on how big the check is b**bs

But, that said, it's a chicken and egg thing. Most/all at-large Board members are already FDCI (at least last time I checked.) And I would assume that if someone new came on board, they'd be expected to support the organization financially as well.

I'll take it a step further, speaking as a banker. It really has little to do with the security of the debt.

One of the components to my annual review concerns what I've done for the community. Yes, my employer wants to be a good corporate citizen, whether it's the least senior teller volunteering for their kid's little league or the CEO sitting on the board of a local university. It is, of course, self serving because it's good visibility for the business (the same reason the local funeral director is often on Rotary or active in their church etc.) Most banks and other high profile businesses expect the same from their senior employees.

The question, when it comes to drum corps, is how many of the Boards are actually empowered and how many are comprised of donors or family but basically serve as a figurehead for the director?

Edited by Phillygwm