Mid Season DVDS

I am awaiting my Mid Season DVD by mail, Many were purchased at the San Antonio Regional. Can someone tell me about how they look and how well it was filmed?? Which Corps benefited from the filming/editing Process??? How would you rate them????

They are OK, considering they were available 1 week after they were filmed. The sound quality is not great, some of hte shots are not so hot, but it's early. I think we will benefit from the earlier filming and webcasts with better DVD's of Championships. Overall, for the price and the speed of which they were produced, they are not bad. I certainly would not want this DVD to be all I had for this year though.

They are OK, considering they were available 1 week after they were filmed. The sound quality is not great, some of hte shots are not so hot, but it's early. I think we will benefit from the earlier filming and webcasts with better DVD's of Championships. Overall, for the price and the speed of which they were produced, they are not bad. I certainly would not want this DVD to be all I had for this year though.

Which Corps looked the best on the DVD??? Which ones are better in person and the DVD Angle shots didnt pick that up???

There are OK – about what you’d expect from a mid season DVD. I like it as a way to get more familiar with the shows without squinting at a computer screen.

They miss some really good bits of the Blue Devils drills while on close ups

Bluecoats look great on it, I think they come off looking best

Crown comes off as just so-so (I might be wrong on that, I had such high expectations for that show and it struck me as just so-so on the DVD)

One thing it makes apparent is the problems with the Cadets narration, so I’d say they come off badly – and they have some honkers in their big musical hit too. Narrations as an issue aside, let’s talk about the recording problems of that show. You can hear them talking but it’s very difficult to understand, it’s too soft and not clear. It becomes immensely distracting because you are trying to figure out what they said, focusing on the speech blocking out the music and then missing everything. I think this issue alone will prevent the show from winning.

This show need to have a direct line in of the vocals to the board for post-production mixing to be recorded well – but then you’re not capturing them live and you might as well just stop judging because it would be too much of a deviation of the activity. I don’t even think they should be allowed a special micing of the amps to capture this show – I feel all shows should be recorded equally and stand as such. We can’t have DCI moving mics and catering to specific corps because then you don’t get a good representation of their live, finals night performance, other factors come in to play too that could either help or hurt corps. The only way to get this recorded well would be to pump the vocals up, way on top of everything like they do on pop recording, but live that would be horrible and overwhelming

So I predict their final’s DVD will either be lousy or heavily altered with production to an unfair advantage

what are you talking about? why would having the cadets finals performance altered on the DVD give them an unfair advantage? dvds are made way after finals and are not used by judges to decide placement. and why sholdn't it be edited to make the best recording possible? everybody knows that dvds and cds are not a 100% accurate representation of a corps' performance; that's not why we watch them. they take a very long to produce and are very expensive, so why shouldn' they make the best product possible?

Got mine today.

Camera angles are okay, about the speed of the webcast ones. No great shakes there.

However, it was recorded way, waaaaay too soft.

Tried to blow out the speakers with Phantom and Crown, but couldn't.

Fix it. :P

what are you talking about? why would having the cadets finals performance altered on the DVD give them an unfair advantage? dvds are made way after finals and are not used by judges to decide placement. and why sholdn't it be edited to make the best recording possible? everybody knows that dvds and cds are not a 100% accurate representation of a corps' performance; that's not why we watch them. they take a very long to produce and are very expensive, so why shouldn' they make the best product possible?

The DVDs are to be a representation of finals night show, the unfair advantage would be against the other corps’ DVD shows – think about it, you let them go in and over dub the voice, might as well let other corps go in and over dub solos, maybe even double them up, hey, a nice reverb wash would sound cool on that mello part, how about a 1 sec delay on the vibes (I’m sure mr frack would love you).

No, its not about getting the best product possible, its about getting the best product possible out of the show as preformed on the field

Has capturing a live performance become that meaningless?

If it was about the best product and post production, skip even taping the corps, just show the software package and add some CGI then pay some pros to go into a studio and record the sound - heck, cancel the entire season, we don’t need the shows on the field just the DVDs - tapes are due Nov 1

You have gotten off the track of my original Question, Which Corps looked the best on the DVD, which ones didnt do them justice, such as , missing a great High angle view of a drill move and the camera is on a Pit member etc, all the corps have points in their show where you would want to see the drill from a High angle, many times they have the camera on a single person and you miss a great drill move, That was my question, which Corps on the DVD did you get to see the best shots!!

best: bluecoats

worst: cadets

bluedevils: missed big drill

SCV: did a good job

BK: mostly a good job

Crown: can't tell, only time I've seen them

regiment: OK, a little lacking

Cavies: funny but OK to good job (The close up of their interpretive swagger look like they are running for a toilet and then they do this squat en mass – its bad )