Is the "Top 12" a self-fulfilling prophecy?

It seems like the original poster's "real" idea got lost in the explanation but cleared in the subsequent posts. I think what (s)he is saying that if you take a normal top 12 show and do nothing to change the presentation and competition factor of top 12 and cram in the dead air spots exhibitions of the other corps (top 13-20) or put them out in the parking lot, that this would as a whole provide more entertainment for the paying customers. Judging on the merits of this, yeah it provides more value and if it could be done tastefully I would be happy to see 13th and 14th corps. Maybe during tabulation and retreat preparations an exhibition by #13 and then off the field to make way for the retreat.

No thanks ! They had their chance to perform on Saturday night, exhibition or otherwise, Saturday night is FINALS night, the attention is on the final competition of the year...if you need more stimuli to feel satisfied or more entertained, maybe its not for you, nothing can make it better, and not by adding the 13th and 14th place corps...huh ?? Why ?? They had their showcase.

I dont see how it would make the night more special in anyway, it would make it more hectic, take away from the top 12 and not be as special, IMO

~G~

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No thanks ! They had their chance to perform on Saturday night, exhibition or otherwise, Saturday night is FINALS night, the attention is on the final competition of the year...if you need more stimuli to feel satisfied or more entertained, maybe its not for you, nothing can make it better, and not by adding the 13th and 14th place corps...huh ?? Why ?? They had their showcase.

I dont see how it would make the night more special in anyway, it would make it more hectic, take away from the top 12 and not be as special, IMO

~G~

Pretty much sums it up right there.

Then Quarterfinals is the place to be for you, young man !! :P

~G~

Well, yeah. I'll be there. I won't be there Saturday.

[EDIT: And will DCI even put up the performances from 18-22 on Encorps? They'd better.]

Edited by Pinwiz

Everyone's a pessimist when it comes to an idea that's out of the box. I, personally, am an optimist. Instead of throwing ideas that seem to have no shot at coming to life in the garbage, I like to envision making it possible.

That being said I think this is a great idea that could afford to be evaluated as an alternative to packing it in a few days early. Having felt the feeling of not making finals as well as making it I see no merit in anyone's argument to suggest that "the top 12 is the top 12" blah blah blah...The year I didn't make finals the corps worked as hard as it possibly could. Our hornline even took initiative and woke up early one morning, woke up our staff and said let's go(got into a bit of trouble with the admin for that). This was still to our dismay as we didn't make it into finals. Each corps is a product of it's infrastructure and design.

I think that full run throughs after a respective corps final night in competition could be left up to each individual corps. I think that lot performances or encore performances by corps not in competition would be the most positive atmosphere and experience. I would pay for a ticket just to go to that!(provided I can still see finals) I am all for having my face blown off by a corps performing their show when there is no cause for critique. I know I would always like to perform for anyone wanting to be entertained.

I think that full run throughs after a respective corps final night in competition could be left up to each individual corps. I think that lot performances or encore performances by corps not in competition would be the most positive atmosphere and experience. I would pay for a ticket just to go to that!(provided I can still see finals) I am all for having my face blown off by a corps performing their show when there is no cause for critique. I know I would always like to perform for anyone wanting to be entertained.
That, my friend, was the spirit from which my thought was borne. :worthy:

I've marched in a corps that didn't make Div. 3 finals. I've also marched a different one that did make Div. 1 finals.

While in Div. 3 I always hoped we scored high enough to be able to play a show at night, under the lights. It was something I wanted to earn. I knew all the best corps got to perform at night. I wanted mine to be one of them. I don't see anything wrong with this... My corps had their chance. They didn't do it. More people could have seen the show, if we scored higher, but it was probably for the best. I mean...the show wasn't that great. It didn't make me any less proud of my performance, knowing all these other corps were better than mine. I know I worked hard all summer, and I think we did our best. You shouldn't need to make finals or get a medal to be proud of your corps and what they achieve.

If people want to see tons of drum corps in one day, they can go to quarters. Let the top ranked corps earn the right to have their own night, under the lights. Besides...12 drum corps is enough for one viewing, for this guy. Can only sit through so many blaring hornlines, bangin' drums, and know-it-all band directors in the stands...

I know that this idea is financially and logistically impossible, but I do resent the "Top 12 is the Top 12" attitude. Why?

1. I sincerely doubt that the Top 12 scoring corps are the exact same Top 12 corps that any fan would choose from the summer. They may score higher, but that doesn't mean I enjoy them. That's why I go to Quarters and Semis, because I'd rather make up my own mind instead of letting some person in a green shirt tell me what to think.

2. Some shows deserve to be seen again. As a total Troopers Honk, I want people to see Troop perform. The strong return of the Troopers is one of the biggest stories of the summer, the show is amazing, and the show is one of the best recruiting tools the corps will have going into the 2008 season. I planned my vacation around following the corps perform around California.

It breaks my heart that because of some arbitrary cut-off point people won't be able to view that production. It drives me crazy that there's a real possibility that there might not be an Encorps video of Troopers from Finals week. I want to scream at the top of my lungs at the thought of people showing up around 15th place or so and missing one of the best 17th+ lineups in DCI history. I know that others think the same about their corps allegiances.

3. What's wrong with letting a corps finally cut loose and enjoy the show without having to deal with judges?

Don't dismiss this because of ideology. Why not simply consider giving everyone a victory lap? Other corps can still have their achievement.

Again, the "PC", Up-with-people, "Everyone's a winner" fodder. Its silly and some seem to foget....this is a COM-PE-###-ION !!!! If you wanna make sure you are going to see all shows, go to Quarters, simple as that. Of COURSE there is a "cut off point" its a competition where everyone who can walk, speak, and reason knows that Saturday night, the twleve highest scoring corps are competing for the ultimate prize of this competition.

Sorry Troopers(Posters choice, just a name, dont flame....) You want to be seen Saturday night, make the top twelve. WHat a great story about the brass getting up early and waking up the staff......so what ! Its a wesome, but 12 other corps worked just as hard and achieved the numbers, the right, the privlidge to work their magic one more night.

Every corps going into the season, every person joining the corps knows the outcome and the format, this "Every kid a winner" goes without saying but the honor of performing on Saturday night is for the 12 corps that scored the highest. Those that scored lower get their victory lap on their respective night, they perofrm, earn their score andtheir accolades and that is the end of the competitive season for them.

And finally, if someone resents the "top 12 is the top12 attitude, why are you following the activity ? Its been around long before you and theres plenty of other outlets to satisfy your ideas, desires and wants.

Having twelve favorite corps is one thing but thats not what finals is about its the twelve highest scoring corps, want to see more, go to semis, go to quarters, no argument or debate needed, simple as that.

~G~