Is the "Top 12" a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Finals the Competition is about the Top 12. We all agree about that. That doesn't preclude other performances. What if Madison wanted to perform the show one more time in the parking lot on Saturday night? What if Troop decided to line up and perform on Friday during the break in a high-proflie spot?

Just because the corps isn't officially part of the competition anymore doesn't mean they can't perform again in some format. If the kids want a final run in the parking lot and promote it, more power to them.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yuk ! Its a competition. The top 12 earned the right that every corps had the opportunity to achieve, to perform on fians night and become a finalist. No more PC, up with people jargin, this is a competition, not grade school....

~G~

It is, and I'm glad it is. The competition is one of my favorite parts of the activity, BUT I don't see where exhibitions by some Corps dilute this. Maybe have fans vote for 2 or 3 favorites. There are Corps outside of the consistent Finalists that have large fanbases. Scouts, Southwind, and Crossmen all come to mind. There also seems to be that one show that creates a lot of buzz every season, but doesn't break into the top 12, Southwind last season for instance. give the fans a chance to see these Corps on the big night, but not in a competitve capacity.

Finals the Competition is about the Top 12. We all agree about that. That doesn't preclude other performances. What if Madison wanted to perform the show one more time in the parking lot on Saturday night? What if Troop decided to line up and perform on Friday during the break in a high-proflie spot?

Just because the corps isn't officially part of the competition anymore doesn't mean they can't perform again in some format. If the kids want a final run in the parking lot and promote it, more power to them.

I totally respect your opinion and your right to one, heck, maybe I sound off base but what your saying is getting quite bizzare...who would want to do this ? It sound like sour grapes to me. Not enough attention ?? Sorry, you didnt make the cut, wether you were someones favorite show , favorite corps or not, you elected to be a part of a competitive genre, were judged, were eliminated, now sit back and enjoy the show or go home.

How many teams play in the superbowl ?? Do they let the AFC and NFC championship losing oponent out on the field ?? Why would they, its not about them.

Nevermind seeing it again in exhibition, the place to see those corps that didnt make the cut is Friday night.

~G~

I understand the OP's point, but logistically it just can't work...

First... parking lot concerts? Heck, out of all of the finals venues, I can name only a few...very few, that have ample parking for the competition as it is. You want to take some of that away making parking even more inconvenient for the people shelling out $75 for a finals ticket (not including parking fees, etc). Not to mention there would be another 30 buses and other corps vehicles that would have to be accomodated if you had another 10 corps performing in some manner somewhere around the stadium.

And performing around the souvie area is a bad idea, too. Have you ever worked in souvies? It's a mad house at finals. It's hard enough to hear around that area as it is, and pumping the sound from a corps into that area would make it most uncomfortable and oppressive for both fans and the volunteers working for the corps.

If you are talking about adding more shows onto the field at finals, by allowing non-finalists corps to perform during "breaks"...I just don't see the point. Finals should be reserved for the best in the activity...performing on Saturday night (whether you are judged or not is irrelevant IMHO) is an earned opportunity and everyone in the activity has known that since 1972.

On the other side of this issue...non-logistically...I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a corps member that didn't make the cut into finals. Knowing that I would have to give it my all on Thursday or Friday night to help give my corps the best possible finish, I don't know if I would be emotionally ready to perform again, especially if it were simply a standstill in the parking lot, playing for fans that are showing up to see the finals competition. Would those fans really care to see me and my corps if they are about to see and hear the best in the activity...the ones that beat my corps to get to that point? I think setting a concert up in this manner would make me feel even more like an "also ran", knowing that my performance is simply an aside to the main focus of the evening. Thanks, but no thanks.

The Top 12...it isn't a new idea. For 35 years we've known that in order to perform on Saturday Night, with only rare exceptions, you have to make the cut. So, as fans, if we want to see our favorites that are not looking as though they will make it, there are other opportunities to see them perform during the week. As members, we would hope that our true fans would do just that...seek us out to see our final performance, be it on Thursday or Friday.

And personally, I don't think that exposing more D1 corps into the already saturated finals atmospehere would bring about anything beneficial. My that's just my take...

Look, maybe my rough ideas sucked about qf and sf. I'm not sold either, frankly. But on Saturday, there are performance opportunities all over -- maybe it's on TV at the noon hour to help walk-up sales. Maybe it's in the lot. Maybe it's at a radio station. Maybe it's at the ticket line. Maybe it's anywhere inbetween shows, and at any point the finalists aren't playing.

Just put me down for thinking it sucks to have 10+ D1 corps out of uniform on Saturday when they could be making things better. I still think it's cool, and part of the experience to watch finals from the 5 yard line and all, but before the show, they should be doing something cool. Period.

First off, I don't think a non-top 12 is really who you want to put on TV - sure, they can be talented, but they aren't the best that the activity has to offer. Let's face it, you are going to want to put the best you have out there.

Second, I don't know why you were sitting on the 5 yard line to watch finals. Both of the years that I watched from the stands, I was on about the 50 on the upper deck.

Third, Finals has a lot of non-corps stuff going on (the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps, etc.). Frankly, it's already a pretty long show with all of that going on (coming from someone that will happily sit through all of quarters).

Fourth, I don't see the point in having groups play outside of the stadium. I mean, the top 12 are already there doing their own thing, and the show is going on inside (where they would surely be able to hear any corps just outside the stadium).

I like the thought that we all get to play all the time, but there is only room for 12 on this bus, and you have to fight like heck to get one of those spots.

Maybe I wasn't as competetive when I watched, because I had marched div 2/3, but I would have hated if the staff tried to make me do something in uniform while the biggest show of the year was going on right under my nose. In my opinion, if I hadn't earned my spot in the big show, I would at least like to go see it.

yuk ! Its a competition. The top 12 earned the right that every corps had the opportunity to achieve, to perform on fians night and become a finalist. No more PC, up with people jargin, this is a competition, not grade school....

~G~

Quote of the week!! :worthy:

On the other side of this issue...non-logistically...I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a corps member that didn't make the cut into finals. Knowing that I would have to give it my all on Thursday or Friday night to help give my corps the best possible finish, I don't know if I would be emotionally ready to perform again, especially if it were simply a standstill in the parking lot, playing for fans that are showing up to see the finals competition. Would those fans really care to see me and my corps if they are about to see and hear the best in the activity...the ones that beat my corps to get to that point? I think setting a concert up in this manner would make me feel even more like an "also ran", knowing that my performance is simply an aside to the main focus of the evening. Thanks, but no thanks.

Having been a member who made finals, and then didn't for two years straight..... you hit it right on the nose. After performing at semis those two years, I had absolutely NO desire to play again for at least a month. I wasn't ready for that emotionally (especially in 2002, ugh). The only thing I wanted to do was chill out, have a beer, and be with my friends and family. It seemed that's all my friends in the corps wanted to do as well, as most of us hung out finals night in 2002 at Stadium Bar. I didn't even attempt to go see finals (didn't in 2001, either).

I can see where the OP is coming with this idea, and it is theoretically a good thing. However, I don't believe the members would be all that gung-ho about it.

I can see where the OP is coming with this idea, and it is theoretically a good thing. However, I don't believe the members would be all that gung-ho about it.

But if the members did want to perform one last time, can we fault them or prevent them from doing it? Maybe not on the field, but a standstill would be worthwhile.

I marched four years. Three of them, I would have had no problem doing one final performance after we were eliminated. The other show I knew going into Quarters that it could have been the last performance and played my heart out, but really expected to play on Friday. I didn't get that chance, so I would have taken that chance to say goodbye. Maybe I'm just different.

I know that I've stated this before, I'd rather watch a standstill by Madison or Cascades than anything the Top 3 is putting on the field this summer. Maybe this will change when I see them live in Indy.

Personally I think that finals should be the top 10.

Here’s my reasoning, when you had 30-40 D1 corps it made sense to have 12 finalists, the elite of drum corps. But as it stands now there are only 22 corps. To make finals, you don’t even have to be better than half your competition.

If and when we ever have 25 or more D1 corps, we could go back to 12 finalists, but until then go with a top 10 and have the D2 and D3 champions play.

Personally I think that finals should be the top 10.

Here’s my reasoning, when you had 30-40 D1 corps it made sense to have 12 finalists, the elite of drum corps. But as it stands now there are only 22 corps. To make finals, you don’t even have to be better than half your competition.

If and when we ever have 25 or more D1 corps, we could go back to 12 finalists, but until then go with a top 10 and have the D2 and D3 champions play.

Or course we are getting of the topic a little, but I can't see how we could lessen the finalist field to 10 after so many years of having 12, especially when you consider that the number of Div 1 corps has gone up over the last couple of years. If it were ever going to be changed, it should have been done back when we barely had enough D1 corps for semis.

Edited by ssorrell