PB&J Note from dci.org

Just caught the deal on dci.org about the PB&J face-stuffing contest. They refer to the corps as "the world's premier Marching Music Ensembles," not "Drum and Bugle Corps." Getting a little tired of that.

Pardon my political incorrectness, but the whole MME term just sounds a tad gay to me.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just caught the deal on dci.org about the PB&J face-stuffing contest. They refer to the corps as "the world's premier Marching Music Ensembles," not "Drum and Bugle Corps." Getting a little tired of that.

Pardon my political incorrectness, but the whole MME term just sounds a tad gay to me.

I disagree...I think a lot of people in the public have a skewed perspective on "drum and bugle corps"...they picture loud, obnoxious horns blaring something during a parade.

I think the "world premier MMEs" sounds a lot more professional and more in tune with the image that DCI should try and portray

I think the "world premier MMEs" sounds a lot more professional and more in tune with the image that DCI should try and portray

Black helicopter/tin foil hat time:

It's also a way to change the branding to make the eventual inclusion of woodwinds easier to swallow down the road.

Drum and bugle corps/drum corps: insular instrumentation implied by the nomenclature.

Marching music ensemble: implies "anything goes" as long as it marches around.

Black helicopter/tin foil hat time:

It's also a way to change the branding to make the eventual inclusion of woodwinds easier to swallow down the road.

Drum and bugle corps/drum corps: insular instrumentation implied by the nomenclature.

Marching music ensemble: implies "anything goes" as long as it marches around.

Maybe the insular statement is appropriate since 'they ain't bugles no more, son'. You must admit it's more descriptive to a layman, and more accurate in its portrayal. I disapprove of non-brass 150% too, but to a press release, it's more informative to n00bs.

Maybe the insular statement is appropriate since 'they ain't bugles no more, son'. You must admit it's more descriptive to a layman, and more accurate in its portrayal. I disapprove of non-brass 150% too, but to a press release, it's more informative to n00bs.

Fair enough. No need to call Mulder and Scully yet.

If the MME description shows up elsewhere in marketing to the informed marching arts consumer, though... :rock:

What's the big deal? It sounds better, it's more accurate, and more descriptive to someone that doesn't know what it is.

Fair enough. No need to call Mulder and Scully yet.

If the MME description shows up elsewhere in marketing to the informed marching arts consumer, though... :rock:

can we still call Scully?? shes kinda hot.. B)

but anyway, DCI has been pushing this for a while, remember the slogan "Marching Music's major league"

overall, It is nice to have the nomenclature evolve with the activity...like "band front" for the guard, or "field show" for the performance

Step On Soapbox.

MME sounds gay? Is that a bad thing? Regardless of how I feel about the Drum Corps/Band/Marching Music Ensemble word battle, I think it's interesting that you think MME is gay.

One of the things that I love about Drum Corps is how open it is. You choosing to call something 'gay' as a negative isn't just being political incorrect, it's being immature, demeaning, and wrong. I would urge you to think about the words you use. I volunteer as a Child Advocate in California and I work with a number of kids who have been abused, kicked out of their house, and disowned because they are (or are preceieved as) gay. Using 'gay' as a synonym as 'bad' is insulting and hurtful.

Off soapbox.

:)

Interesting.....I thought MME was "Masters in Music Education".......alas....my degree is useless!!!!! Useless i tell you!!!!

b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

can we still call Scully?? shes kinda hot.. B)

but anyway, DCI has been pushing this for a while, remember the slogan "Marching Music's major league"

overall, It is nice to have the nomenclature evolve with the activity...like "band front" for the guard, or "field show" for the performance

Well, not to take this too far...(this is DCP, though, so I will :P)...why keep the name as the awkwardly named "Drum Corps International" if (assuming that this naming convention is used in all things from this point forward) you refer to your units as marching music ensembles in the future, then?

Marching Music International?