Blue Devils 2005 show question?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats funny, is that for all the harsh criticism 05 BD gets, it was my favorite show to perform of the 3 years I marched.

But then again, I tend to focus on performance over show design when I watch shows and when I perform them. So, as far as 05 is concerned, my particular drill spot and part in the horn book was the most enjoyable of my 3 years.

Oh, the irony.

Actually almost as many "no" as you got "yes" Since the show disgusted me I Just said no to myself at my seat and was suprised there were as many vocal "no" as there was.....

Funny thing is the "narrator" is asking a question, there is more than one answer those that answered no are far fom ++++holes, Im far from an ++++hole and would like any of you to call me it to my face.

Narration is terrible and I dont like it I have a right to my opinion and I dont disrupt shows. Maybe those that are "for" narration are the true +++holes, how 'bout that ??

And Im hardly being "stupid" about a poorly designed show that had way too much talking and not enough music highlighted.

~G~

To me you werent the ### hole.... you were the type like me who didnt like it all but were respectful enough to keep a comment like that to yourself. i just have a problem with the people that screamed it out. just as bad as booing imo. thanks for keeping it to yourself.

:worthy: Scott Dean :)

INDEED! :worthy::doh::doh: BTW if you listen to the show, Scott Dean is playing Double C most of the show. I really miss hearing his Double C in a BD shows. I just want to add i still love his solo from 2003, one of my favorite solos.

Yes, that was well established back in 2005. Blue Devils staff work created that show for James Logan and won with it, so they probably thought they could pull it off at the DCI level.

Whats funny, is that for all the harsh criticism 05 BD gets, it was my favorite show to perform of the 3 years I marched.

But then again, I tend to focus on performance over show design when I watch shows and when I perform them. So, as far as 05 is concerned, my particular drill spot and part in the horn book was the most enjoyable of my 3 years.

Oh, the irony.

This is an interesting point/perspective that I think needs a little prominence on these boards from time to time. Often we hear sentiments that it's too bad members were saddled were a poor design choice (whatever that may be), but how a show looks/feels to an individual member may be vastly different to the view of the fan. A marcher's individual drill/music/moves/etc leaves a much more lasting impression of a show than the complete final product. Works both ways, too. A show could be great and entertaining and generally well-received, but if your individual part/drill/music was boring to you, you may not remember the show well even if you appreciate the overall product created. All in all, members create their own impressions of the summer experience far apart from what we think from the stands.

Anyway -- sorry to go off topic -- just thought this was a nice perspective on an otherwise much-maligned show.

Yes, that was well established back in 2005. Blue Devils staff work created that show for James Logan and won with it, so they probably thought they could pull it off at the DCI level.

I knew that it was based on JL show but i didn't realise it was almost completely the same ( i recently saw Logan on DVD).

I actually never noticed the "no's" before. Personally, it wasn't my favorite show of theirs....I loved 04 though. But it was still an awesome show and I personally thought they marched and played the #### out of it!

Scott Dean by the way, man, him and Jeff Lynn (spelling?) were mothers on those horns. I miss the solos like the ones they had so badly!

By the way, has anyone seen the video on youtube on Scott Dean playing the Star Spangled Banner last year? hot!