bd's drill

ok i have been thinking about this for a while. I read on here all the time about how boring bd's drill is and how they should get a cavie alum to come write drill for them and then they would be much better. I was thinking about this and wondering if I would actually want them to change their style. they have never been the type to do 890432 sets in a show and be very geometrical and to be honest i dont know if it would fit their show. so i watched this years show and i agreed wiht my previous thoughts. i think crazy geometric drill would not match up well with the music they have this year while i feel the laid back curly style that is bd's (which some people hate but i love !! ) matches it way better. anyways your thoughts on whether or not changing styles to a more cavalier approach would actually enhance the bd shows from a visual standpoint??? my opinion is that they wouldnt....it would actually hurt them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, no matter what our opinions are, the ones that count (the judges) don't seem to mind! :)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The Blue Devils drill style may not be working for some people here, but let's do the math shall we...

Cavaliers - 7

Blue Devils - 11

^0^ FTW

anyways your thoughts on whether or not changing styles to a more cavalier approach would actually enhance the bd shows from a visual standpoint???

Copying the Cavaliers? Hell, no.

Shifting the impacts to a more dynamic visual point of interest in a few sets per show...yes. I don't think anyone (trolls aside) thinks BD's drill is horrible, but it does kind of "sit" in certain places during the show, IMO. I understand how its slower developing in some points, just due to the nature of BD's programming and design style over the years.

Regardless, it's winning now, so it's water under the bridge, anyway. :P

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen anyone saying that the Cavies staff should write for BD. I don't think that would work either. I enjoy each corps having its own identity. More corps are starting to look like Cavaliers in my opinion, but I don't know that everyone needs to. I would like to see Phantom change their style some, but I wouldn't want to see them do Cavaliers drill, either.

Besides, according to most of what I've read here, BD would have a hard time marching like Cavies because they actually play, and you can't march like Cavies while playing.

Edited by usmcontra

Well, no matter what our opinions are, the ones that count (the judges) don't seem to mind! :)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So DCI is just about judging and scores?....?

The Blue Devils drill style may not be working for some people here, but let's do the math shall we...

Cavaliers - 7

Blue Devils - 11

^0^ FTW

let's do the math... How long has the current design team been pwning with their style? well they started that syle near the year 2000... ok so lets look at the math

00, 01, 02, 04, 06

Bd won 03...

hmm ......

Besides, accordinig to most of what I've read here, BD would have a hard time marching like Cavies because they actually play, and you can't march like Cavies while playing.

Lets not open that can of worms again.

Blue devils drill works for they way they do their shows.

I personally thing there are some STELLAR moves in blue devils show this year. Like the one where they make the curly thing then work out of it to make two separate curly things - AWESOME.