1977 Oakland Crusaders

Hey everyone...I need some help from you good drum corps people out there...I was a member (bass drum) of the 1977 Oakland Crusaders drumline...This October we are going to have an Alumni Reunion -- part of the evening will be spent celebrating the 30th anniversary of our drumline making DCI history by sweeping drums at Prelims and our Corps unfortunately just missing the Finals...If anybody out there has any recordings, pics or especially videos of our corps from that year I would really appreciate it if you would get in touch with me...you can email me at -- ddumont@rogers.com

Thanks

Sorry I can't help you, but I wish I could. One of the best butt kicking perc lines I've ever seen or heard, and IMO the best corps that Canada has ever produced. All the best in your endeavour. :)

Hey everyone...I need some help from you good drum corps people out there...I was a member (bass drum) of the 1977 Oakland Crusaders drumline...This October we are going to have an Alumni Reunion -- part of the evening will be spent celebrating the 30th anniversary of our drumline making DCI history by sweeping drums at Prelims and our Corps unfortunately just missing the Finals...If anybody out there has any recordings, pics or especially videos of our corps from that year I would really appreciate it if you would get in touch with me...you can email me at -- ddumont@rogers.com

Thanks

I'll never forget the large 'X", and those sops popping through playing El Gato, Joel, etc........ But most of all, I'll never forget that fantastic drumline. Congrats on your well deserved reunion.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

hey...I remember Oakland's drumline well that year.....we had alot of shows with you (I was in 77 Crossmen), .....you might be happy to know, that on the field at finals, when they were getting ready to announce high percussion, and we were kind of assuming BD was going to win by "default", there were some shouts among multiple drumlines on the field who yelled...."Oakland"........I'm having some computer problems at the moment, but when I get them fixed....I do have your prelims performance on recording.........

GB

Hey Dwayne:

good idea to spread the word.

Bob984, the prelims recording we have, or I have, so thanks for the offer. If anyone has recording from other shows, please do pass them on to the eamil addy in the first post.

What we really need is video. If anyone has anything, even a parade, please get in touch with me by PM. I have access to really good transferring facilities.

Also, we know where most of the people are these days except for:

Tim Kowalski, came from the Detroit area

Pete Boyle, from New Jersy, marched Sancians I believe

Mark Doering, came from Kitchener.

all three were in the snare line.

Anyone who knows how to get a hold of those people please PM me.

Decent pictures of the bass line appreciated too. Oh what the heck, snares, tenors, tymps, cymbals & keybords will be nice to have too.

Dwayne, the bad news is, Tower of Power is playing in Mississauga that night. The good news, they're in Oakville and Markham the night before and after. Should be a great weekend.

Regards,

John Swartz

hey...I remember Oakland's drumline well that year.....we had alot of shows with you (I was in 77 Crossmen), .....you might be happy to know, that on the field at finals, when they were getting ready to announce high percussion, and we were kind of assuming BD was going to win by "default", there were some shouts among multiple drumlines on the field who yelled...."Oakland"........I'm having some computer problems at the moment, but when I get them fixed....I do have your prelims performance on recording.........

GB

bob...thanks for the offer and i would be glad to take you up on that...please email me when you get back up and going...

If you're looking for some photos go to the Historical Drum Corps section of the Forums.

Repost this message there and you'll get some responses I'm sure.

There's also a thread there called "some old corps photos". TONS of great shots of Oakland sprinkled through 1000+ p[ages of posts. Try to contact a DCP member named "Byline". Her name is Sue and she probably has a bunch of pictures.

Congratulations - 30 years late!

If you're looking for some photos go to the Historical Drum Corps section of the Forums.

Repost this message there and you'll get some responses I'm sure.

There's also a thread there called "some old corps photos". TONS of great shots of Oakland sprinkled through 1000+ p[ages of posts. Try to contact a DCP member named "Byline". Her name is Sue and she probably has a bunch of pictures.

Congratulations - 30 years late!

thanks..i'll give a try

Sorry I can't help you, but I wish I could. One of the best butt kicking perc lines I've ever seen or heard, and IMO the best corps that Canada has ever produced. All the best in your endeavour. :)

The 1975 Okies kicked some serious bum - a well balanced machine, eh.

This one made me smile. The 1977 Oakland Crusaders drumline has to be included in anyone's list of best drumlines ever. What a smoking snare line!!! Downstroking done right, 16th/32nd interpretation of diddles instead of the slur-dog style of the day. Pure power drumming. Ahhhhhh......

Too bad the corps didn't make finals that year to close the deal on high drums (they won high drums in prelims that year but couldn't win the award because the corps was not in finals). Trust me, I loved the Devs line that year and I am happy they won high drums, but the Okies were probably the best line that year in my opinion. It's a shame there is not a video available so people can check out this great line.