Corps and their horns

Now that makes sense to me. If you are going to play in the key of G, two valves is the way to go. I would say valve/rotor but I am not that big of a masochist. I remember thinking when the third valve was added, 'well why not just go all the way and go to concert pitch'. To the vast majority of folks, even band kids who watched corps in the 70s and 80s, I would bet a minority of the audience actually knew what key the horns were in. But I bet all of them could tell you there where only two valves! The two valve and valve rotor horns were very distinctive. Once the third valve was added it got a bit blurry.

I admire your gumption. Building a corps today and putting them on G would be an uphill battle. But doing it on two valve horns is like ice skating uphill.

It's an uphill battle to get one of these groups started no matter what horns a corps has. I really believe things will get easier once we get out of our practice hall and play for some people. I don't think it's the horns that will hold us back that much, it's convincing people to get off the couch or away from their PC and perform.

Anyway there are rumers of a couple people in KC that would like to bring a DCI show of some kind to the area. A Show in the KC metro would help us a lot.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that makes sense to me. If you are going to play in the key of G, two valves is the way to go. I would say valve/rotor but I am not that big of a masochist. I remember thinking when the third valve was added, 'well why not just go all the way and go to concert pitch'. To the vast majority of folks, even band kids who watched corps in the 70s and 80s, I would bet a minority of the audience actually knew what key the horns were in. But I bet all of them could tell you there where only two valves! The two valve and valve rotor horns were very distinctive. Once the third valve was added it got a bit blurry.

I admire your gumption. Building a corps today and putting them on G would be an uphill battle. But doing it on two valve horns is like ice skating uphill.

It makes sense to me from a financial point of view. As a new corps starting out, it's less expensive. It's not any harder to play in one key or the other. A lot of us have been playing G horns "uphill" all our lives. :) Best of luck to you Prairie Sound.

Edited by Mike_B

The argument that Bbs are easier to tune, I think, was made up by players that have trouble playing in tune and needed an excuse. "It's not me! It's the darn horn!" ^0^

You may think what you'd like. but for some reason I don't necessarily think corps like the Blue Devils, Carolina Crown, etc..in DCI and even the Buccaneers in DCA would agree with you. Great lines, but now they sound much better for some reason. Maybe not as loud, but to my ears and to many others this is the case.

if the seasoned drum corps fan doesn't notice a corps playing out of tune, then they must be deaf or really don't care about how good the corps could sound. haha.

i haven't played the dynasty Bb, so i can't say how it is to tune. but when i marched, i know it was always a battle to tune every note on a G. in particular, the kanstuls were harder to tune than the degs. and i know this because we had a mixed sop line for years, and the degs just played in tune better. although, i personaly think the kanstuls flowed better.

It makes sense to me from a financial point of view. As a new corps starting out, it's less expensive. It's not any harder to play in one key or the other. A lot of us have been playing G horns "uphill" all our lives. :) Best of luck to you Prairie Sound.

Thanks Mike. :huh:

What I want to know is what tuba can I practice on to make me sound great on a G Contra the way my G Contra made me sound great on a Bb tuba?! Pedals are nothing now!!

There needs to be a DDD tuba or something. How about that Subcontrabass Tuba?

hoffnung.jpg

Ooo.. I'd kill for one of those.

Edited by G_Bass

Why is it always about size with you Contra guys? Compensating for something? :P

even if you're just joking around honestly the stuff the box comment is rather tasteless. there were a whole lot of those comments going around last year up at Championships. when they were said they weren't followed by good hearted laughter either. <**>

Just my two cents now...Give me a break. The truth is I love the Cabs and Cabs Alumni. I think both corps are Great and do a wonderful job on and off of the field. It was just a joke. Lighten up everyone. WTF, this is supposed to be fun. <**> <**> <**>

JOE

:sshh:

Danny, how is everything going? The scores are looking good. Keep up the good work and keep in touch. I Have been tied up lateley with life. ^0^ ^0^ B) ^0^ ^0^

What I want to know is what tuba can I practice on to make me sound great on a G Contra the way my G Contra made me sound great on a Bb tuba?! Pedals are nothing now!!

There needs to be a DDD tuba or something. How about that Subcontrabass Tuba?

hoffnung.jpg

Ooo.. I'd kill for one of those.

I know for me, the bigger the horn, the more volume that is able to be produced, and because i like killing myself, more weight. THe heavier the better.

I tried playing an old valve/rotor contra with my mouthpiece, i could not, i think my mouthpiece is too big. Big horn , big mouthpiece, always love G