Marching styles

Am I right in assuming the people calling the Devil's technique a glide step are thinking that they are using the same technique as they did in the 80's? Corrections are welcome.

I don't call it that and also didn't know that it was a term referring to pre-Star staff years... but I think what I said about the emphasis on low heels rather than straight legs is correct... yeah?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavaliers - yes its' bent, alot, that's why it's called the bicycle technique, think about what it looks when you pedal a bike and it's very similar. But remember if they didn't do that they're entire drill design would have to change, you just can't do some of their stuff straight leg, plain and simple.

Cadets - Been covered, i think we all understand that.

Blue Devils - I always think of their technique as straight on the downbeat, but a little more relaxed on the and counts with the knee. (it also looks the best and is the easiest on the marcher IMHO)

Carolina Crown - no one has mentioned it, but it's very similar to BD where the leg is straight on the downbeat, but has some knee in it, but should be not very noticable.

Crossmen- many of you say it's the same as cadets....seeing as how i just came home from spring training with them...i'd have to say it's not as much as focus on straight the entire time like scissors, it just wasn't the focus.

although in all honesty i believe that most corps today use a technique like BD...focusing on straight on the downbeat, without the strain of maintaining straight throughout the entire move. I would venture to say that Phantom, SCV, Coats, and Gmen use this, while boston might be more cadet style....

I don't believe the Cavaliers call their technique the "bicycle technique", as I am sure there is a lot more definition and information than just 'pretend like you are on a bike'. I would, however, argue against your assertion that the Cavaliers drill could only be performed with that style. I would very much like to hear the reasoning for that please.

I think the BD style has more to do with an approach to core strength and hip flexor motion through the leg swing than just a straight leg on the downbeat. The simple straight leg on downbeat information seems really surface level to me, for all the corps that people apply that to.

As for Crown, I am sure there is some of the BD technique with Andy Ebert having marched BD at one point, but there is enough of a melting pot with the other guys on visual staff that there are some other nuances that make it different enough to be their own.

If you want to know about BK, reference some of Ouooga's posts earlier in the thread from last summer. I couldn't even begin to tell you what the heck is going on with their feet.

edit:sentence structure and grammar

Edited by traveller30

I don't call it that and also didn't know that it was a term referring to pre-Star staff years... but I think what I said about the emphasis on low heels rather than straight legs is correct... yeah?

I really was only referring to the people that used the term "glide step" and not necessarily yourself, and being just lazy enough to not go back and get specific names, I thought I would leave it as general as I did. I primarily remember hearing the term glide step back in the 80's, but seeing as the people teaching me didn't know much of anything other than how to run a drill down and "catch" you with the old parade rest/dress center dress trick (glad those days are gone), the corps I would most associate it with is the Devils from that period.

I do think there are several more variations in their technique program depending on the infusion of various visual guys than just the pre/post Star staff years, much as there are variations in the Cadets technique over the years depending on who was running the tech program.

Since the mod suggested it, I'll go ahead and open up this topic. In much the same spirit as the "Brass Caption Head" thread, I'd just like to know what kind of style each corps teaches. Specific pedagogical methods would be great as would rationale and reasoning behind the technique. I'm also looking for not just modern techniques that corps use these days, but also techniques from corps past.

as always, feel free to ask questions or correct anything Ive got wrong...

I'll start out with what I know -

Cadets

Technique: Straight legged

Nicknames:"Straight-Legged-Freaks", "Scissors"

The Cadet visual style is based upon two things, height and straight legs.

The initial motion of the leg is to push the heel to the ground with minimal knee movement. The leg swings in a pendulum motion using the thigh muscles to propel the entire leg forward as one unit. The rear ankle flexes to push the body weight into the step. The goal of the technique is to preserve the maroon stripe that runs down the side of the uniform. The bagginess of the pants (at least the old unis from '03-06) allow the leg a little bit of knee bend before it is visible. The marcher should however NOT displace the hip joints in order to preserve a straight leg - you can recognize this by seeing if the hips raise and lower independently on every step.

The performer should be as tall as possible at all points during marching and should never lower, especially during direction changes and backwards marching. The traditional "stop and go" technique is used where no body weight transfers to the front foot on the last count. The legs should be crossing on the "and" count of the beat. Halts are approached through a toe first placement at high tempos and are rolled into at low tempos. At low tempos, the backwards technique changes to a "roll down" where the foot rolls down through the heel in a kind of reverse forward rollstep.

When standing still, the toes and heels are together. Weight is distributed evenly on the whole foot with maybe a slight inclination towards leaning forward.

thats weird, i always thought the cadets style was called the dance of the bouncing chicken. guess ya learn something new every day, right? :blink: :blink: :blink::tongue::blink: :blink:

I do think there are several more variations in their technique program depending on the infusion of various visual guys than just the pre/post Star staff years, much as there are variations in the Cadets technique over the years depending on who was running the tech program.

はいもちろん, I was just trying to sound smart. :blink:

はいもちろん, I was just trying to sound smart. :blink:

ばかですね :blink:

Cavaliers use a technique that most like to say is bicycle. They actually focus on the ankles rather than leg bentness/straightness. If smaller bend is needed, then so be it. I would say what exactly it is, but you could just buy the audition packet if you want. :)

That's me :blink:

All in jest :blink: . Now back to your regularly scheduled "Glide Step" thread.