Drum Corps Illustrated

The Jodeen Popp books were one (ugh) of the things that got me up to speed quick on drum corps when I became a fanatic in the late 70s.(Four DCI yearbooks, purchased from the Scouts souvie stand in 1980 were the other.) Going through the years with her stuff was phenomenal.

And we had a gum saver, yes.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this was in drum corps illustrated or not but this thread made me remember a short comic strip about the Troopers in some drum corps magazine back in the '70's where the instructor goes up to some kid in his uniform and says "Here, play this horn, wear these glasses!"

Apparently, so many kids in the corps wore glasses back then, one would think it was mandatory.

I don't know if this was in drum corps illustrated or not but this thread made me remember a short comic strip about the Troopers in some drum corps magazine back in the '70's where the instructor goes up to some kid in his uniform and says "Here, play this horn, wear these glasses!"

Apparently, so many kids in the corps wore glasses back then, one would think it was mandatory.

Yes, that is correct,also in that same strip is my favorite quote. Troopers you may take the field for competition. The Trooper snare drumer's response is " where do we take it"!

I have a light up Renegades shot glass - does that count?

I have a light up Renegades shot glass - does that count?

Have a ca 1971 Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots beer glass but it doesn't light up. :(

Talked to one of the older members about it and his wife asked if I wanted a set of 'em. :P

• 1 year later...
Has anybody ever had a copy of Drum Corps Illustrated by Paul McCusker published in the winter of 1974-75 by Drum Corps World. It is a cartoon the likes of Mad Magazine.Featuring The Troopers is a comin' In record time, The championship theory, and my favorite 2001 a Drum Corps Odyssey. If you find a copy what save it.

Interesting, I remember reading that back in 77 on tour with Crossmen on our way to Denver. when i read the topic it all of a sudden brought back memories of the cartoon of the human corps-V- robot corps. thinking back it seems like someting George would like to do with DCI corps now aday... :rolleyes: (did i say that out loud??)

I think my Dad still has his gum saver.

I wish I still had my poster from the late 70s of all the finalists holding up a soprano.

Does that sound familiar to anybody??

I wish I still had my poster from the late 70s of all the finalists holding up a soprano.

Does that sound familiar to anybody??

Yep. LeRoy Nieman-esque oil painting. First DCI souvenir I ever got.