the next two big innovations

I know what the next big changes in drum corps will be. These are real innovations and not just gimmicks like amps and narration. These are radical ideas that involve no changes to formal elements i.e. nothing is added to the elements of drum corps... I'm speaking strictly in terms of moving and playing with horns and drums and nothing else. Now, I predict that the vast majority of those who would like to comment on this thread will tell me that my predictions are wrong and that the radical changes I forsee are not only worthless, they will never happen and probably are impossible. I disagree, I think that these ideas which I am about to describe are not only possible and worthwhile, they will occur in the evolution of drum corps.

1) Improvised drill. Marching ensembles will become so sophisticated that they will develop the ability to improvise drill moves as a group. Eventually, marching ensembles will be able to improvise drill while improvising music.

and

2) Playing music at one tempo while marching at a completely different and unrelated tempo.

now many posters will see this and tell me "that the cadets already did this in 2001, they had one drum major in 3 and one drum major in 2." well this is not what I'm talking about so think a little harder because what I'm talking about hasn't happened yet. I'll clarify in advance for people who don't understand. You play trumpet, your marching at 186 but you're playing at 154. Your feet are in time with the rest of the hornline and drum line. Your music is in time with the ensemble music, but they are each at entirely different and unrelated tempos.

Ok so those are the next radical changes in drum corps. Do you agree that this will happen? Do you agree that these are "real" changes and not just gimmicks? I bet you'll tell me that my suggestions will never happen. let me know but I'm calling it now...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) Playing music at one tempo while marching at a completely different and unrelated tempo.

now many posters will see this and tell me "that the cadets already did this in 2001, they had one drum major in 3 and one drum major in 2." well this is not what I'm talking about so think a little harder because what I'm talking about hasn't happened yet. I'll clarify in advance for people who don't understand. You play trumpet, your marching at 186 but you're playing at 154. Your feet are in time with the rest of the hornline and drum line. Your music is in time with the ensemble music, but they are each at entirely different and unrelated tempos.

Hmmmm.......OK, I'll bite........why would you want to do that?

I know what the next big changes in drum corps will be. These are real innovations and not just gimmicks like amps and narration. These are radical ideas that involve no changes to formal elements i.e. nothing is added to the elements of drum corps... I'm speaking strictly in terms of moving and playing with horns and drums and nothing else. Now, I predict that the vast majority of those who would like to comment on this thread will tell me that my predictions are wrong and that the radical changes I forsee are not only worthless, they will never happen and probably are impossible. I disagree, I think that these ideas which I am about to describe are not only possible and worthwhile, they will occur in the evolution of drum corps.

1) Improvised drill. Marching ensembles will become so sophisticated that they will develop the ability to improvise drill moves as a group. Eventually, marching ensembles will be able to improvise drill while improvising music.

and

Ok so those are the next radical changes in drum corps. Do you agree that this will happen? Do you agree that these are "real" changes and not just gimmicks? I bet you'll tell me that my suggestions will never happen. let me know but I'm calling it now...

What a horrible mess that would be

and

I'll bite. You should try doing number 2. Then see how you feel about it.

In the world of improvisation there is someone who takes the lead. I wouldn't doubt that an improvised movement could and might happen. I would expect to see it in the guard first. Then move to marching individuals rather than groups. This may happen but there are a lot of things to happen before then. If that does become a possibility then each group would have a repertoire of ensemble drill moves to choose from. Like in improvised music, you build your arsenal and ready, fire, aim. If it's not an ensemble drill move then it's just a scatter.

and

and the crowd goes wild....(lol) everyone sitting with their metronomes, realizing what they have done..........also, two bass drum wipeouts during the improvised drill segment was better than last night, when the whole line went down.......the 2nd corps really *$##ed up on their improvised music, though..........................

GB

The improvised drill concept it ridiculous. The value and effect of drill is the mass coordination. A drum corps improvising drill would be like an orchestra improvising a symphony. It would be a mess, both logistically and artistically.

Marching at one tempo and playing another? Wait, I think I've heard of that...isn't it called, um...

high school marching band?

As far as improvising drill, I'm confused. It would be cool, I guess, if during all days a corps put together their show just on a whim with no charts, but what's the point of rehearsing all summer if every night the show is going to be different? This one I might be missing the point on.

Improvised music. Ensembles will become so sophisticated that they will develop the ability to improvise music as a group, spontaneously selecting a key, tempo, theme, mood, whom to feature, when to cut-off, how to adjust the drill on-the-fly to feature whatever section should be visually featured, with the guard coming up with routines to interpret the music with tosses and throws that are perfectly synchronized. Corps props will also morph on cue to change color, shape and design to reflect what is being played.

Another innovation will be yard lines that instantly expand and contract sideways to assist drill forms that need to be set up in specific formations that aren't linear. Shoes will have sympathetic magnetic inserts that respond through tactile sensation to the metallic flakes in the flexible material used to create these yard lines.

Also, the use of mass hypnosis will allow a stadium full of fans to experience the same show no matter what the corps on the field is doing. And when a corps really is sensing what each other is doing improv-wise, the sensation in the fans' cerebral cortex will be akin to the effect of eating Mentos and drinking cola.

With hard work and government funding, we could have the above ready to go by 2010, but only if people believe in it enough. Otherwise, we won't get past the geo-thermal requirements, not to mention the initial investment in magnetic levitation.

Edited by Michael Boo

Improvised music. Ensembles will become so sophisticated that they will develop the ability to improvise music as a group, spontaneously selecting a key, tempo, theme, mood, whom to feature, when to cut-off, how to adjust the drill on-the-fly to feature whatever section should be visually featured, with the guard coming up with routines to interpret the music with tosses and throws that are perfectly synchronized. Corps props will also morph on cue to change color, shape and design to reflect what is being played.

Another innovation will be yard lines that instantly expand and contract sideways to assist drill forms that need to be set up in specific formations that aren't linear. Shoes will have sympathetic magnetic inserts that respond through tactile sensation to the metallic flakes in the flexible material used to create these yard lines.

Also, the use of mass hypnosis will allow a stadium full of fans to experience the same show no matter what the corps on the field is doing. And when a corps really is sensing what each other is doing improv-wise, the sensation in the fans' cerebral cortex will be akin to the effect of eating Menthos and drinking cola.

With hard work and government funding, we could have the above ready to go by 2010, but only if people believe in it enough. Otherwise, we won't get past the geo-thermal requirements, not to mention the initial investment in magnetic levitation.

The brand name is Mentos.

Other than that, a very reasoned, measured and mature response.

The " next big thing " in Drum Corps will be flight. We've already had lots of Corps do themes that dealt with flight, but no marches have actually become airborne to any large degree through the use of props. Within a few years, we'll see marchers ( probably guard ) elevating themselves high up over the field swinging from left to right in harnesses just like at a French circus. (It's already been done in the Broadway hit" Blast "by Star to a limited degree, so it's certainly doable on a field where there is more room to maneuver)

Edited by X DM