Painting Flags

MiamiNight

Hey I've got a question and I was wondering if someone could help me out. I would like to paint some of my color guard's flags for the upcoming season, but I don't know what kind of paint to use. I know its possible (see Blue Stars 2006) so I'm hoping for suggestions.

Floral paint? Fabric paint? Spray paint (very thin coat)? What works?

Well, fabric paint is ideal. The next question is which kind.... I'm not sure I can be of too much help here. I know there is the basic "Tulip" brand fabric paint... kind of thick, but it works.

The actual process of getting hand painted flags is somewhat of an ordeal. I know you have to wash the fabric in a solution and then paint it, soak it in another solution, etc.... it takes a while.

If you find out anything, let me know too, as I've long wanted to have painted silks.

Good luck!

If someone has the answer to this, I would also like to know. I'd like to paint flags for the fall as well!

VK in '78 used spray paint for their flags....and it showed. Looked okay from a distance, not close up.

We also once used marker. Paint markers go on thinner than the Tulip paint.

Be sure to do a trial on a scrap piece of fabric before applying on your flags just to be sure you like the effect. Buy only one or two markers just for this reason.

Nancy

Edited by neholgate

The Blue Knights/Opus 10 guards have Rob Billings paint their flags. He is their visual designer..... all I know is that he'll charge about $35 to paint a flag for you, but I wasn't able to find out HOW he did it.

Quite an undertaking. You could also have the flags screen-printed at a local shop. don't know how much it would cost, but the flags would look more consistent from one to the next. I would think that the price of screen-printing a flag would be comparable to that of screen-printing tshirts (based on #of colors, quantity ordered, etc.)

I know flags can be airbrushed, but I don't have any idea how much it would cost. That gives a nice look.

And one way to use spray paint well is to take a lame flag, kind of bunch it up on the ground, and then lightly mist it with spray paint. This gives an interesting texture to the flag. Emerald Marquis did it in 1999. I would advise you try it on some scraps first, until you get the technique figured out.