How do they decide who wins the drum trophy?

In another thread, someone talked about 94 Cadets had highest drum score on finals night but BD won the drum trophy based on averages. Can anybody explain how it works for 2007. What scores from the recaps go into deciding who gets the drum trophy and bragging rights for best drumline for 2007.

Incidently, which scores were averaged in 94 for BD to win the trophy. Here is the recap to 94 finals. We can see Cadets scored .1 higher than BD in percussion performance. I don't think this recap necessarily tells us who won the trophy though?

Recaps from 1994 Finals

Edited by johnnytech

I believe its an average of quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals percussion scores.

Cadets, for example, were unfortunately caught in a transition between 3-night averaging and finals night-trophy. Star won drums on finals night and got the trophy in 93...Cadets won drums on finals night and BD got the trophy in 94.

Cadets, for example, were unfortunately caught in a transition between 3-night averaging and finals night-trophy. Star won drums on finals night and got the trophy in 93...Cadets won drums on finals night and BD got the trophy in 94.

So which of those ways is used now for giving the drum trophy?

I am dissapointed to hear this. I had not known this and would have preferred not to.

I see DCI as trying to assert themselves comparable to other sporting events like the Olympics. I guess they do what's good for getting tv coverage but not what is most sportsman like.

For me the drum trophy award is now tainted. This is supposed to be about a final performance, your last chance at the Olympics or basically like all other most commonly used forms of competition. I feel most sorry for those who won drums on paper but are not awarded the trophy.

If I remember correctly, when they went to the 7-judge panel in '94, the percussion folks of, well, more than one corps (don't know how many overall) didn't like the thought of just one judge determining the final outcome...hence the averaging

Edited by JMS0527

I am dissapointed to hear this. I had not known this and would have preferred not to.

I see DCI as trying to assert themselves comparable to other sporting events like the Olympics. I guess they do what's good for getting tv coverage but not what is most sportsman like.

For me the drum trophy award is now tainted. This is supposed to be about a final performance, your last chance at the Olympics or basically like all other most commonly used forms of competition. I feel most sorry for those who won drums on paper but are not awarded the trophy.

It was even worse for the 1977 Oakland Crusaders....who solidly beat everyone, including Blue Devils, in prelims, but the corps was 14th and didn't make finals......without them there, Devils won.............

GB

If I remember correctly, when they went to the 7-judge panel in '94, the percussion folks of, well, more than one corps (don't know how many overall) didn't like the thought of just one judge determining the final outcome...hence the averaging

That's a legitimate concern. Here is another. It's offensive to all socially accepted forms of competition while barely mitigating for the problem. Looking at the 94 recaps, only .05 higher to Cadets or .05 lower to BD, and the drum award would have changed.

www.fromthepressbox.com