DCA Championships Lineup

Whatever any of us thinks of the current seeding/performance order system for DCA championship weekend....

IMO, it beats the heck out of the "old days" when any number of us had no firm idea how many corps would actually be showing up to compete at Prelims until the pre-contest directors' meeting the day before the show. Of course, these were the "pre-Internet" days.... when you would hear rumors all summer about "so-and-so corps is coming to DCA's this year".... then, come championship weekend, that corps was nowhere to be found.

Then, the "new entries" would literally draw for performance positions at the meeting. So among other things, those corps could not set their rehearsal schedule until less than a full day before their Prelims performance. Now, every corps knows a week in advance about their performance times at Prelims.

Like Tom has said, no system is perfect.... but again IMO, it's much better now.

Fran

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not crazy about this new rule. If the highest scoring Class A corps places 10th or higher DCA would in essence deny that corps the opportunity to compete for the Class A Championship which in my opinion would be more valuble. While a corps' management may covet the vote that comes from a Top 10 finish, I think a championship on a corps resume would be more valuable in other areas, especially for next year's recruiting efforts. If you never marched drum corps before and didn't know about the class distinctions, who would you rather march with, a champion or a 10th place corps? Something to think about. Speaking for me persoanlly, I am retiring after this season without having won a major championship in my 21 year drum corps career and I would prefer to go out as a champion.

Replying to Toms post......

Didn't realize that (overall) Top 10 are the voting members of DCA (lost track of the rules during my "lost" years). IMO, this would be more important for a corps continued sucess (aka survival) than what Class they compete in. Then again I marched in the days when "lesser" corps would show up at Prelims trying to get an Associate membership (placing 11-14) just so they could pick up a DCA show (for more $$$$) here and there.

And Class A Finals consist of the top 3 Class A corps that do not make overall Top 10. This I was honestly confused about. The rest of my posts was just fun with words.... :blink:

PS - Would be interested in the background of how Class A was created in DCA. Still think it's the best idea they had in years.

Here is an example of what the new rules are doing. Before 1996, the Buccaneers were out of the Top Ten (at this time no Class A) for years. There for, they were not a voting member. The corps was on the virg of going under. 1996 prelims, we made it back into the Top Ten. Look at them since then, they worked their way up throught the years, and now they are 2 time defending World Champions.

Why any corps. that would not want to grow, and better their organization is beyond me. This is a great thing, and makes it easier for a corps (not that it is ann easy task) to grow their ranks, and move up the chain.

Back in the 70-80s a corps placing depended on what they did at DCA the year before no matter how good or bad the corps was the current year. Then you had groupings of Full Members (1-10), Associate Members (11-14) and everyone else. Seemed like every year or so the order of the groupings changed at Prelims and I never knew why. 1975 and 1976 the "everyone else" corps had the last spots at Prelims while the big corps rested up or did a last bit of work before Finals that night. In the early 80s, pretty sure the big corps came on last which might have started when Finals was held on a different day.

As least we don't have the Concert number anymore which was a pain during Prelims. Some years corps would play the concert and some years not depending on the number of corps. Still remember someone yelling at us as we went out to the Prelims field "NO CONCERT.... DON'T PLAY THE ###### CONCERT" or "<DMs name> CONCERT... CONNNNNCCEERRT".

Why any corps. that would not want to grow, and better their organization is beyond me. This is a great thing, and makes it easier for a corps (not that it is ann easy task) to grow their ranks, and move up the chain.

But bigger does not always equal better.

What if you're running a small corps with a small budget and a steady cash flow that covers that budget, a large local and national following, your membership has a great time, and you put out quality shows year after year? Why mess with success? If a Class A corps with a philosophy of remaining a small, high-quality corps and a focus on winning a championship that they can attain is placed into Open Class, then they've been screwed by their own high quality performance and a "bigger is better" mentality enforced by corps that are... well... bigger.

Success is measured by more than just points and rankings.

Ok, i can agree with that. When I said grow, that doesn't just meen in size. Just because your a small corps doesn't mean you can't produce a quality corps. The year the Bucs played batman,(not sure on year, early 90s) they had a very small hornline and finished in top 5. Just because you have a small corps, doesn't mean you can't have great success.

Oh, sorry for all the references on the Bucs. Its the only corps i marched with, so I know the most history about. These are just examples.

But bigger does not always equal better.

What if you're running a small corps with a small budget and a steady cash flow that covers that budget, a large local and national following, your membership has a great time, and you put out quality shows year after year? Why mess with success? If a Class A corps with a philosophy of remaining a small, high-quality corps and a focus on winning a championship that they can attain is placed into Open Class, then they've been screwed by their own high quality performance and a "bigger is better" mentality enforced by corps that are... well... bigger.

Success is measured by more than just points and rankings.

I don't see as much "downside" for a Class A corps that makes Open Class Finals.

If a Class A-eligible corps makes the top 10 at Prelims and therefore competes Sunday night in Open Class, they 1) will be a full member of DCA and get a vote, and 2) can feel free the next year to again declare themselves eligible for Class A, if they prefer to remain a "smaller corps."

In another words......there is nothing in the rules, as far as I know, that would require a Class A corps that makes Open Class Finals to automatically move into Open Class on a permanent basis.

So then, a Class A corps that makes Open Class Finals can add that achievement to their marketing material: The first-ever Class A corps to make DCA Open Class Finals.

Plus, they have, at least for one year, something that no other Class A corps would have, under the current rules: a members' vote.

Fran

Thats a nice thing to have as a Class A corps. The power of a vote, and $$$$.

jack p

I don't see as much "downside" for a Class A corps that makes Open Class Finals.

If a Class A-eligible corps makes the top 10 at Prelims and therefore competes Sunday night in Open Class, they 1) will be a full member of DCA and get a vote, and 2) can feel free the next year to again declare themselves eligible for Class A, if they prefer to remain a "smaller corps."

In another words......there is nothing in the rules, as far as I know, that would require a Class A corps that makes Open Class Finals to automatically move into Open Class on a permanent basis.

So then, a Class A corps that makes Open Class Finals can add that achievement to their marketing material: The first-ever Class A corps to make DCA Open Class Finals.

Plus, they have, at least for one year, something that no other Class A corps would have, under the current rules: a members' vote.

Fran

Question: Why can't they have their vote AND still compete for the Class A Championship? Base membership off of the prelims scores, let the 11th place corps into Open Class Finals, and said hypothetical Class A corps can still compete for the prize that they want. I think that "Champion" is more marketable than "10th place", especially in an area outside of the Northeast where drum corps fans aren't familiar with DCA.

Question: Why can't they have their vote AND still compete for the Class A Championship? Base membership off of the prelims scores, let the 11th place corps into Open Class Finals, and said hypothetical Class A corps can still compete for the prize that they want.

Interesting idea! (Seriously. Not being sarcastic here.)

Honestly, in my "perfect world" scenario, Class A and Open Class would be two separate entities at Prelims (Class A corps competing against Class A corps, Open Class vs. Open Class, not all together), and the Class A Finals winner would also get a members' vote. So... the Open Class finalists would get a vote, as well as the Class A champ.

But it ain't a perfect world, and I don't make the rules. That's probably a good thing. :)

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring