Minneapolis DCPers.

Scott/Pilot -

Don was in Minneapolis/St. Paul Sunday - Tuesday for a conference and drove on the bridge on Tuesday on the way home.

My brother lives in the area also and was on 35W yesterday, but not near the bridge.

(P.S. What's wrong with talking about current news here?)

Glad that you're family is ok-Lynne! I heard from Tholo today, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a number other Scout alums to which I had sent personal emails. (Pilot responded here, so no worries from 2 guys) :) Btw, any word from Roark yet?

Edited by S. Pearson

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was flying home, saw the news in the airport in Chicago. Thankfully I don't go near this area, but I do know many people who do.

I'm glad to hear that all MBI members are ok.

Like others have said, there is a large portion of Drum Corps families here in the Twin Cities. Not only families for current marching members, but there are TONS of alumni from many corps.

I tried looking for this thread in the Current News section that DCP use to have, but I was redirected to some other forum site that I don't want to sign up for.

I find it perfectly acceptable to start a thread in a tragic event such as this, especially when people are concerned for others.

Glad that you're family is ok-Lynne! I heard from Tholo today, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a number other Scout alums to which I had sent personal emails. (Pilot responded here, so no worries from 2 guys) :) Btw, any word from Roark yet?

I am OK. Thanks for the kind thoughts, it means a lot! My wife works very close to where this happend. Pretty scary stuff. It's really hard to believe that this happened when I look at the pictures.

I hope to spend some time with you in a couple of weeks Scott.

Edited by Roark1

For those getting bent out of shape about this being on DCP, info like this would usually have gone in the Current Events forum. With the CEF no longer being available ( <**> ) , I can see why the OP put it here. Maybe the Off Topic Forum would have been a better choice, maybe not. It's here now. So what if it didn't directly involve any drum corps. Complaining about it only makes you look heartless. Either offer your thoughts and prayers or other useful info OR just ignore the thread. It's that simple. JMO

Edited by skajerk

Minnesota Brass gets together 2 minutes or so north of that bridge every Wednesday evening and many of us cross it to go to rehearsal. The clock in my car turned over to 6:01 when I was going over the bridge. yeeesh.

We begin rehearsal at 6:00PM during August, so thankfully most of us were already over. I understand one guard member was on the north side and went down with the collapse on that side. She is uninjured. She came on to the rehearsal site shortly after, for communication and support. A few of us got caught south of it, and had to go around by other routes or go home.

Sirens going off like crazy; spooky. We rehearsed for a while after taking time to make phone calls, but we knew there were way more important things going on, so we called it a night quickly.

Relieved to hear that Chops and Govies are safe and sound. We’ll get together on the 18th and 19th for our drum corps shows with friends from other corps, celebrate our good fortune to be playing together, and remember those unfortunate souls who were in the middle of the collapse.

For All We Know . . .

Call your mother

Call your father

Call your children

Donate blood(any time)

Did you feel the same way about 9/11 too ?? !! :whistle:

I think you misunderstood what he was saying. He was saying that the tragedies don't need to be related to drum corps meaning they don't have to have anything to DO with drum corps for us to have sympathy and to be aware. He wasn't saying "not having to be related" like in terms of letting us know.

And apparently, this IS drum corps related ANYWAY.

Hey Cop...you have anything else better to do today?

MINN_BRIDGE.jpg

I think it's weird how the middle span pancaked!

THere must've been huge stress on both ends of the bridge. The stress was evenly distributed, normally, but perhaps there was some kind of expansion screw (I don't even know if they're used anymore) or something that causes the bridge to flex normally, that stopped working and caused strain on either ends.

Incredible strain. This would be similar to the Titanic. The weight of the cars on the smaller spans would just cause them to break without the middle tress.

I am OK. Thanks for the kind thoughts, it means a lot! My wife works very close to where this happend. Pretty scary stuff. It's really hard to believe that this happened when I look at the pictures.

I hope to spend some time with you in a couple of weeks Scott.

Govies show is just around the corner, eh? ;) It's on my radar screen...