Portland, Oregon

Yuppers, not inspired, and have you seens Marc's Seattle drill? Not inspired either.

Please people, just because he is Joe Blow, doesn't mean everything he does is brilliant.

Marc, if you're reading this, you still owe me a hamburger!

Crossmen are performing a good show. The corps is young, but I don't think the main problems with the corps is the design, but moreso execution issues. Sorry the show did not speak to you, but I think you could have found a better way to state that.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yuppers, not inspired, and have you seens Marc's Seattle drill? Not inspired either.

Please people, just because he is Joe Blow, doesn't mean everything he does is brilliant.

Ignorant statement #2 from you. Nobody is saying that everything Marc writes is automatically the best thing ever written. What you're referring to, however, is whether or not what he or the other designers did was inspired, or had considerable thought put into it, or was given incredible amounts of time and work to create. You're making it sound as if these people are just phoning it in and could care less about what they've done. Ridiculous. I've seen Marc work with this corps as well as many of the other designers this season. To even remotely imply that they had no inspiration or didn't care about what they were doing in creating this show is 100% absolutely false, and quite frankly, it's a pretty dumb comment to make.

If the show didn't work for you, that's fine. Nobody says you have to love it. There are indeed flaws in performance and in design. As there are in every show. But leave the questioning of their motivation and inspiration out of it. It's the kind of judgment that, unless you're in the room with these people as they create the show, or in their heads, you have no way of making with any sort of credibility.

Edited by CrossmenAlumni

PISSING MATCH! fight, fight.......

Not ignorant, this is my first summer off, I have been teaching drum corps for last 20 years.

We are talking about the Perc feature, yes? Not the entire show.

2 sym blocks of brass doing arm gestures, guard in a center back block, perc up front. Clearly says, no one is inspired.

The show & perc section deserves much better than that!

It was said that, "to think that something that Marc has written is not inspired is absurd."

I think that suggests that everything Marc writes must be great, don't you?

Valium, Lexapro, something, get help.

I love my corps too & hear a ton of extreme critique about them and always will.

It doesn't ruin my day.

My day is going perfectly well, not ruined in the least. Thanks so much for your concern.

"Clearly says" TO YOU, perhaps. Whether or not that is the reality of the situation is another thing altogether. Again, if it didn't come off well to you, that is fine. Questioning their motivation or the work or thought or inspiration they had when they put it together, that is something to which you honestly have no idea. Unless you've discussed this at length with the design team. Which I assume you haven't.

Like the show or don't. Hate that one part of the show or don't. But the things you're talking about you have no way of knowing. And as another person said, if it came across that way to you, there had to be a better way to express it other than the way you did. That's all.

Thanks for the review...

Not ignorant, this is my first summer off, I have been teaching drum corps for last 20 years.

We are talking about the Perc feature, yes? Not the entire show.

2 sym blocks of brass doing arm gestures, guard in a center back block, perc up front. Clearly says, no one is inspired.

The show & perc section deserves much better than that!

It was said that, "to think that something that Marc has written is not inspired is absurd."

I think that suggests that everything Marc writes must be great, don't you?

Valium, Lexapro, something, get help.

I love my corps too & hear a ton of extreme critique about them and always will.

It doesn't ruin my day.

Let . me . read . between . your . lines . here....

You and Sully were once friends, he ticked you off at some point, and now whatever show he writes will have a negative impact in your eyes; no matter what corps it is or how well it is written. You most likely went into the stadium with a negative attitude about Crossmen's show looking for things to critique before you even saw it. Your comments here are directed at Marc and no one else on the staff and that is what we feel is unnecessary.

If you are a teacher like you say you are, this is not a good way to build a good reputation.

Oh no, you're getting way too deep.

I LOVE Sully, I think he does great work.

An has a serious amount of moxy to boot.

The hambuger is just an old '97 joke.

Back to the Xmen:

I never suggested the work by the tech staff or kids is a problem.

I'm sure there is a great up and coming vis tech who is living the show every day

who hates that part of the show and other sections as well.

Chill Bones Fans, they might make finals.......calm.......

Sorry to #### in your Cheerios

Fortunately for me, I get to go to work now.

By the way, my teaching history: Spartans, Marauders, Madison, Cascades.

Your concern over Xmen Reviews comes nowhere near the garbage I have to endure about Scouts.

You've been teaching drum corps for 20 years and still couldn't find a better way to express yourself than that? Hmmmm.

Wow..... this is funny stuff to me. Folks on DCP get way too excited about this stuff. All "rainhead" saying by "PISSING MATCH! fight, fight", is that everyone on here gets so worked up over everything. It's not personal! All he's saying is that Marc's drill is not inspired. I totally agree with you "rainhead", across the board. There were parts of Cascades drill where the voices were ALL in the wrong spots. Entrances by horns, where they are WAY too far out of the pocket to enter with confidence, etc....

I'm out. Just got home from a long drive...time for a drink!

Nate

All he's saying is that Marc's drill is not inspired.

And he's wrong. :)

I've seen the show a few times now, studied the drill pretty closely because I tend to really enjoy Marc's work, and I think what he's done for the Crossmen (and what their entire design team has brought to the table this year) is incredibly inspired, fresh, and is pointing this corps into a very good direction for the future. Sure there are some problem areas, but I can say the same about every drill on the field this year with one or two exceptions. Big deal. Can't wait to see what this design team does when they actually get a complete off-season together to plot and plan for 2008. Kudos, Crossmen.....love the show! One of my five favorites of the year.

Wow..... this is funny stuff to me. Folks on DCP get way too excited about this stuff. All "rainhead" saying by "PISSING MATCH! fight, fight", is that everyone on here gets so worked up over everything. It's not personal! All he's saying is that Marc's drill is not inspired. I totally agree with you "rainhead", across the board. There were parts of Cascades drill where the voices were ALL in the wrong spots. Entrances by horns, where they are WAY too far out of the pocket to enter with confidence, etc....

I'm out. Just got home from a long drive...time for a drink!

Nate

So let me see if I understand this. Because you dont understand the staging of a few sections, marc's drill is uninspired?? You know, sometimes its actually a good idea to spead the voices apart as they enter becuase its extremely impressive when they come in together. I could accept the criticism that the drill makes it to hard, but thats something that has to be worked out between marc and the corps, and hardly justification for calling his work uninspired...