Portland, Oregon

Ignorant statement #2 from you. Nobody is saying that everything Marc writes is automatically the best thing ever written. What you're referring to, however, is whether or not what he or the other designers did was inspired, or had considerable thought put into it, or was given incredible amounts of time and work to create. You're making it sound as if these people are just phoning it in and could care less about what they've done. Ridiculous. I've seen Marc work with this corps as well as many of the other designers this season. To even remotely imply that they had no inspiration or didn't care about what they were doing in creating this show is 100% absolutely false, and quite frankly, it's a pretty dumb comment to make.

If the show didn't work for you, that's fine. Nobody says you have to love it. There are indeed flaws in performance and in design. As there are in every show. But leave the questioning of their motivation and inspiration out of it. It's the kind of judgment that, unless you're in the room with these people as they create the show, or in their heads, you have no way of making with any sort of credibility.

In other words, you no longer have a right to an opinion, because if it doesn't sit well with a Crossment Alumni then you're just plain wrong. Get it RIGHT next time!!! :huh2:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me see if I understand this. Because you dont understand the staging of a few sections, marc's drill is uninspired?? You know, sometimes its actually a good idea to spead the voices apart as they enter becuase its extremely impressive when they come in together. I could accept the criticism that the drill makes it to hard, but thats something that has to be worked out between marc and the corps, and hardly justification for calling his work uninspired...

Exactly. I think not only is the design pratty darn good, but very difficult for the individual marcher. . .many exposed sections and the corps is spreading the field often. I do not think the corps has gotten the credit for the show they are performing in terms of difficulty.

So let me see if I understand this. Because you dont understand the staging of a few sections, marc's drill is uninspired?? You know, sometimes its actually a good idea to spead the voices apart as they enter becuase its extremely impressive when they come in together. I could accept the criticism that the drill makes it to hard, but thats something that has to be worked out between marc and the corps, and hardly justification for calling his work uninspired...

Oh...I never called his work uninspired. I was just giving one quick example of something I noticed during the show...that's all. That moment definitely doesn't make him uninspired.

I've always been a huge Marc fan too, btw.

Nate

In other words, you no longer have a right to an opinion, because if it doesn't sit well with a Crossment Alumni then you're just plain wrong. Get it RIGHT next time!!! :huh2:

Nope. But nice try. He has every right to not be engaged by the show or that section of the visual presentation. In fact, I stated several times that he can like or dislike the show as he pleases. But questioning something like a staff's level of inspiration or motivation or work ethic without having direct knowledge of what their specific process was when putting their show together is more or less impossible. Unless he was on the staff or around the corps a lot. Which apparently he was not.

How would you like it if I listened to the Blue Stars miss a horn release and then go online to say something like, "Wow, it would be nice if their brass staff would actually work on attacks and releases once in a while. Looks like they just don't care about the fundamentals."

See what I mean?

I'll say it again...I don't care if he likes the show or not. And if that part of the show came off as less than what he hoped for, FINE. I'm OK with that. Just leave the other stuff out of it because it's impossible for anyone who is not involved to actually know.

Are we done with this silliness yet?? Next round of drinks are on me... :) :huh2:

Nope. But nice try. He has every right to not be engaged by the show or that section of the visual presentation. In fact, I stated several times that he can like or dislike the show as he pleases. But questioning something like a staff's level of inspiration or motivation or work ethic without having direct knowledge of what their specific process was when putting their show together is more or less impossible. Unless he was on the staff or around the corps a lot. Which apparently he was not.

How would you like it if I listened to the Blue Stars miss a horn release and then go online to say something like, "Wow, it would be nice if their brass staff would actually work on attacks and releases once in a while. Looks like they just don't care about the fundamentals."

See what I mean?

I'll say it again...I don't care if he likes the show or not. And if that part of the show came off as less than what he hoped for, FINE. I'm OK with that. Just leave the other stuff out of it because it's impossible for anyone who is not involved to actually know.

Are we done with this silliness yet?? Next round of drinks are on me... :) :huh2:

Pathetic grammatical runaround.

The "staff"s job is to write something that entertains the audience. They didn't (to this guy). It doesn't matter what the staffs "process" is/was.

Cadets: 94.850 Great talent in this corps. I wanted to give it up for the sop soloist in Blue Shades, but the show didn't give me opportunity without being rude to fans around me. Thank you Cadets for being the only ones there that night to wear a bright uniform. Thanks for having the visual balls to do so. I don't think any corps should pick the color of the pants uniform based on the worry of how dirty the footwork of the corps might be. Maybe if you don't have footwork down, you don't have the basics down? They've cut a bit of the narration and I liked the part, "We'll do this part without narration" I wanted to give it up for the sops extended, extended double-tonguing sequence also, but the show wouldn't let me. And this corps was nice and loud! Like it should be. Very clean drill and clean company fronts. Someone should count how many they have. I wish I could see this corps live again up close. The people I was with didn't like the narration. I could have gone without it, but it does compliment the show and does help explain what its like in drum corps and practicing and what music can be to people.

I'm a big fan of the "entire package" as I've said above. I have a friend that works at Walt Disney World in Florida. We talk all the time whether an attraction has the right stuff to be excellent. The visual, audio, lighting, special effects all have to be well tuned and spot on in order for the audience to believe it, and like it, and even be amazed by it. And if you can provide an emotional connection, even better. Give me a show that I can throw a baby at. That's all I ask.

:worthy::worthy::huh2::huh2::worthy:

Thank you! I think they need to change the rules to give an extra quarter point on the final score to whomever wears cream or white pants. Go back and look at videos from the late 80s and you'll see a lot more corps in white pants including:

SCV

Star of Indiana

Blue Knights

Bluecoats

Madison Scouts

Cadets

Suncoast Sound

It is much sharper and more entertaining to watch, IMO. I'm tired of all the dark pants and shoes. It was sad to see the Bluecoats ditch their old uniform.

Let me just point out that more than a few times this summer people have reviewed the Crossmen negatively, even in terms of design, and none of us have said anything in their defense.

It is not about not getting the show, it is about how you state things.