No housing in San Diego

I checked with other corps' tour managers, and they had also left numerous messages that were not returned. Even the directors of other California corps' whose home shows were part of the consortium with the San Diego shows could not reach the show promoter, Esperanza director Alan Cox.

Mr. Cox is no longer the corps director having resigned in March. However, the organization of the show had his signature all over it. It's a good thing the Mt. Carmel Band Boosters actually have a clue about organizing events such as this. All in all, I'd give this show about a D- grade.

Can't blame DCI if they don't have San Diego on their tour stop next year if this is an indication of the support they get from the local corps.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Cox is no longer the corps director having resigned in March. However, the organization of the show had his signature all over it. It's a good thing the Mt. Carmel Band Boosters actually have a clue about organizing events such as this. All in all, I'd give this show about a D- grade.

Can't blame DCI if they don't have San Diego on their tour stop next year if this is an indication of the support they get from the local corps.

Move the calender night back to the L.A. area, where it was for many years.

Curious...someone said small attendance...numbers???

Move the calender night back to the L.A. area, where it was for many years.

That would be a shame. There is a LARGE market of fans in the San Diego area who have consistently turned out for well publicized shows in the area.

SoCal Drum Corps doesn't end at the 5/805 split.

That would be a shame. There is a LARGE market of fans in the San Diego area who have consistently turned out for well publicized shows in the area.

SoCal Drum Corps doesn't end at the 5/805 split.

I didn't see that, judging by how many of you guys turned out. It was a small stadium and concert side was half empty.

DCI will go where the money is.

I didn't see that, judging by how many of you guys turned out. It was a small stadium and concert side was half empty.

DCI will go where the money is.

As I said in my post, there is a LARGE market of fans in the San Diego area who have consistently turned out for WELL PUBLICIZED SHOWS. This one, as I understand it, wasn't well publicized. Finger-pointing aside, the market has shown a consistent turnout and while DCI tends to go where the money is, they are also fond of going where the SPONSORS are. DCI has already made their money on the show by the time the first corps steps off (that's when the final payment from the sponsors is due). Income from the show (i.e., ticket and concessions sales) belongs to the show sponsors. As long as they paid DCI (and they would have had to in order for the any corps to perform that night), the money was already there.

If there's a group in San Diego willing to take on the sponsorship of the show (and the income opportunity), they'll likely still have it on the schedule somewhere.

As for me being one of "you guys" -- I am a former resident. I'm in Chicago now so I couldn't turn out at all.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

As I said in my post, there is a LARGE market of fans in the San Diego area who have consistently turned out for WELL PUBLICIZED SHOWS. This one, as I understand it, wasn't well publicized. Finger-pointing aside, the market has shown a consistent turnout and while DCI tends to go where the money is, they are also fond of going where the SPONSORS are.

If there's a group in San Diego willing to take on the sponsorship of the show (and the income opportunity), they'll likely still have it on the schedule somewhere.

As for me being one of "you guys" -- I am a former resident. I'm in Chicago now so I couldn't turn out at all.

Stef

I don't think DCI is very fond of San Diego "sponsors" right now, base on yesterday.

I don't think DCI is very fond of San Diego "sponsors" right now, base on yesterday.

Well, how about you let us know when you take over DCI and when what you think they're fond of really matters, okay? :)

Not for anything, 27 but having the show in San Diego is not the problem. ONE bad sponsor is the problem. Esperanza is NOT the only group in San Diego to have ever held a show there and they certainly are not likely to be the last.

Or are you one of those people who worked for that guy up in the L.A area who's still angry about DCI giving a good tour date to an active corps or an attempting to be active corps instead of a guy who never had any intention of re-fielding his corps ever?

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

Well, how about you let us know when you take over DCI and when what you think they're fond of really matters, okay? :)

Not for anything, 27 but having the show in San Diego is not the problem. ONE bad sponsor is the problem. Esperanza is NOT the only group in San Diego to have ever held a show there and they certainly are not likely to be the last.

Or are you one of those people who worked for that guy up in the L.A area who's still angry about DCI giving a good tour date to an active corps or an attempting to be active corps instead of a guy who never had any intention of re-fielding his corps ever?

Stef

DCI doesn't care what I think. But my opinion is that before they schedule a show in San Diego again, they will take a serious look at the that fact that there are not active corps in San Diego (that I know of), the housing problems with the show yesterday and the low attendance at the show yesterday. They want to put shows where they are the most likely to successful, i.e. they want the show sponsor to make enough to cover the corps appearance fees. The show in Long Beach in July drew probably over 5,000 people and the best corps there was Academy. San Diego has to beat that.