No housing in San Diego

Stef,

Our attendance in Michigan City is about 50% local, 30% Chicago area, 20% outside the region.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those shows also get PROMOTED.. the key you all keep missing. The show sponsors for those shows don't just sit back on their laurels.. they actively promote their shows!

the vast majority of attendees don't just seek it out and remember it's going to be there..

i know they get promoted, no one is missing that point. point is dci decided they were going out west, dates were set for shows and then it's hands off. the question is the current system of how they do this. what is dci going to do to make sure that mishaps like the san diego show don't happen again? it's their name that's on everything, the corps that were left without housing were members of their organization. you can't constantly blame who was in charge of the individual show and realize the major blunder dci made by ignoring what was a major problem before the first corps stepped off. 400-500 people showing up to a show in san diego, ca is not only a shame on the organizers, but an embarrassment for dci.

Stef,

Our attendance in Michigan City is about 50% local, 30% Chicago area, 20% outside the region.

I expected the percentage to be good.. but not the majority. :) so I was right! (though less right than I guessed...)

Thanks!

Stef

i know they get promoted, no one is missing that point. point is dci decided they were going out west, dates were set for shows and then it's hands off. the question is the current system of how they do this. what is dci going to do to make sure that mishaps like the san diego show don't happen again? it's their name that's on everything, the corps that were left without housing were members of their organization. you can't constantly blame who was in charge of the individual show and realize the major blunder dci made by ignoring what was a major problem before the first corps stepped off. 400-500 people showing up to a show in san diego, ca is not only a shame on the organizers, but an embarrassment for dci.

San Diego THIS YEAR was what could be termed an ANOMALY.

Are you going to honestly sit there and tell me there has never been a poorly attended, poorly promoted show leading up to finals ever? Hardly!

Sorry, I don't buy it and I won't stand idly by while people want to try and imply or use San Diego as the example of why DCI should never have gone to California. We haven't even had opening ceremonies yet and there are people who apparently chomp at the bit, waiting to declare DCI in California a disaster!

This whole San Diego thing amounts to an invalid argument. THIS ONE SHOW is no indication of DCI's late season presence in California being a failure.

How was the attendance in Phoenix? How was the attendance in Albuquerque? El Paso? All the rest of the shows leading up to Finals over the past week and a half? How well attended was the TOUR leading up to Pasadena?

The housing issue.. sorry but that's a straw man argument. LOTS OF TOUR EVENTS have housing problems EXACTLY LIKE THIS ONE.. the only difference is they happened in the east or the midwest and didn't get the kind of coverage San Diego did because it happened the week of DCI in California for the first time ever.

Whatever else San Diego's show was, it was JUST A TOUR EVENT. DCI had no greater stake or responsibility in the organization of THAT show than they did in the organization of the Rockford show, the East Rutherford show or the Oneida show. The responsibility for housing, contractually, falls to the SHOW SPONSOR .. NOT DCI.

San Diego's show this year is no close representative of ALL shows in California ALL the time.

That's a period at the end of that sentence.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

I was a member of Esperanza the last three years and I can probably tell you this was more of Esperanza's fualt for letting down dci and not being there to host a show even after our lame director who likes to blame his fualts at everyone else didnt do anything to let dci prepare to host a show in San Diego.

This is mainly the Directors fualt of Esperanza! He just was a huge coward and left the organization. The with short notice I believe Pacific Crest was trying to do everything they can do to prepare for the show and host it. And it was true that Mt. Carmel High school didn't get much information about housing and advertising the show.

I am truelly sorry for those who suffered even after all their hard work and commitment!

Luv ya all who are involved and fans of DCI!

About three or four years ago, DCI promted some late August shows in CA promoting DCI final's coming soon. All active corps that were past DCI winner's performed in each show. All five or six show's had excellent attendence. The San Diego show was promoted outstanding with thousands of fan in the stands. So, it can happen in SD if time and a lot of hard work is done.

I was a member of Esperanza the last three years and I can probably tell you this was more of Esperanza's fualt for letting down dci and not being there to host a show even after our lame director who likes to blame his fualts at everyone else didnt do anything to let dci prepare to host a show in San Diego.

This is mainly the Directors fualt of Esperanza! He just was a huge coward and left the organization. The with short notice I believe Pacific Crest was trying to do everything they can do to prepare for the show and host it. And it was true that Mt. Carmel High school didn't get much information about housing and advertising the show.

I am truelly sorry for those who suffered even after all their hard work and commitment!

Luv ya all who are involved and fans of DCI!

You're a good guy, just don't feel bad about this yourself. Not your fault.

San Diego THIS YEAR was what could be termed an ANOMALY.

Are you going to honestly sit there and tell me there has never been a poorly attended, poorly promoted show leading up to finals ever? Hardly!

Sorry, I don't buy it and I won't stand idly by while people want to try and imply or use San Diego as the example of why DCI should never have gone to California. We haven't even had opening ceremonies yet and there are people who apparently chomp at the bit, waiting to declare DCI in California a disaster!

This whole San Diego thing amounts to an invalid argument. THIS ONE SHOW is no indication of DCI's late season presence in California being a failure.

How was the attendance in Phoenix? How was the attendance in Albuquerque? El Paso? All the rest of the shows leading up to Finals over the past week and a half? How well attended was the TOUR leading up to Pasadena?

The housing issue.. sorry but that's a straw man argument. LOTS OF TOUR EVENTS have housing problems EXACTLY LIKE THIS ONE.. the only difference is they happened in the east or the midwest and didn't get the kind of coverage San Diego did because it happened the week of DCI in California for the first time ever.

Whatever else San Diego's show was, it was JUST A TOUR EVENT. DCI had no greater stake or responsibility in the organization of THAT show than they did in the organization of the Rockford show, the East Rutherford show or the Oneida show. The responsibility for housing, contractually, falls to the SHOW SPONSOR .. NOT DCI.

San Diego's show this year is no close representative of ALL shows in California ALL the time.

That's a period at the end of that sentence.

Stef

i'm not painting the whole california finals with a big brush here because of san diego. merely suggesting that when things like this happen it brings out questions of policies and procedures.

one show is a failure because of poor promotion? it doesn't happen all the time, but is it okay for it to happen at all? what can be done to prevent this?

housing issues happen all the time? does that mean we shouldn't take a look at making sure that it doesn't happen?

you make it seem like it was okay because all this just happened this one time. i say what can be done to make sure it doesn't EVER happen. don't settle for these things happening "just a couple times here and there" instead move the line of thinking towards eliminating them completely.

About three or four years ago, DCI promted some late August shows in CA promoting DCI final's coming soon. All active corps that were past DCI winner's performed in each show. All five or six show's had excellent attendence. The San Diego show was promoted outstanding with thousands of fan in the stands. So, it can happen in SD if time and a lot of hard work is done.

Agree. I went to the San Diego show in 2003 which was then held north of the city. It was excellent and I always wanted to go there again. but could only take so many days off work. From what I remember the attendance was pretty good too.

Thank you...Im just embarrased in what my Corps director has done to DCI and what he has made the rest of DCI members and fans look at us as.