The Scouts will be just fine

Well, one area that would help would be some stability in the guard staff. If I recall correctly, this is the third guard staff in three seasons.

Does the guard follow their staff tightly? I remember the Colin McNutt thing with the drummers. Are guards just as tight with their staff?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, you have to see the show live. But I disgree with the talent level of the horns and drums. Way too many missed releases, intonation problems, and the book has been watered just a touch. The beats were a little muddy in places, but overall the execution was nice. The corps marched the crap out of the opener, which is probably the best opening drill chart of the year!!! I think their musical selections leave a bit to be desired, and the charts aren't that strong in certain places (too much opportunity to horn 'splats' and 'gacks' in the opener).

But, their soprano soloists... WOW! Classic Madison!

All in all, they are not the best Madison corps, but everyone should be excited to see that they are laying a great foundation for years to come.

Again, none of this is a bad thing... baby steps. This is how you develop talent. Just getting this corps on the field this year was enough, I don't think anyone expected them to make finals this year. But next year, if they can keep this nucleaus, they will be a force to be reckoned with. Next year they will be a 7-10th place corps, easy!

yes, the corp is young, but i do not think talent level has much to do with how the corp is placing.... i saw them rehearse last night and i was shocked at how many capable guys they have. the talent in the hornline alone is stellar.

ive seen young corps do really well before, so i do not think that is an excuse. staff have endless responsibility of the corp, regardless of talent level.

with that being said, I LOVE THEIR SHOW!!!!! tons of ge and the pacing and excitement is great!! if you have only seen this corp on the dci webcasts, please do not make any judgements until you see them live! just like all the other corps, those web videos do not come close to doing their show justice. the music arrangements are great! the only thing i think the design is lacking in is drill effectiveness. but even so there are plenty of really cool drill moments. i agree with you about their loudness meter. and was actually a bit surprised at rehearsal.. i kept thinking "that cant be all you got!?!?" regardless, it is still a rich and full sound, just lacking in volume. i dont care where scouts end up this weekend because ill still dig their show anyways!

Edited by Newseditor44

...all I ask of 2008 Madison is that all 15 extra spots go to the hornline. :P

:( But, but...I was hoping that what someone said in another thread about the return of Madison's cymbal line would use some of those spots.

:( But, but...I was hoping that what someone said in another thread about the return of Madison's cymbal line would use some of those spots.

Oh, yeah....I forgot about them, can't not have plates out there!

Okay. Five plates and ten more horns then. :P

Oh my God!! I just got Chills thinking about madison having Plates again!

Now, if we could just get some red sashed on the Uni's... heaven!!!

*sigh* I'm getting turned-on just thinking about it...

In five years, this corps will be back, in a big way!

Edited by Newseditor44

I agree, you have to see the show live. But I disgree with the talent level of the horns and drums. Way too many missed releases, intonation problems, and the book has been watered just a touch. The beats were a little muddy in places, but overall the execution was nice. The corps marched the crap out of the opener, which is probably the best opening drill chart of the year!!! I think their musical selections leave a bit to be desired, and the charts aren't that strong in certain places (too much opportunity to horn 'splats' and 'gacks' in the opener).

these are things that staff have control of! staff has a huge part in developing the maturity of a group! i have heard professionals make errors in symphony concerts, yet their talent for the most part is unquestionably great!

the staff can control those issues if approached correctly from day one!

as for the drumline, didnt the percussion arrangements feel a bit weak to you?

Yes, the drum charts were a tad watered down, but I think it fit the talent level of the corps.

I don't disagree that the staff plays a part in developing the talent of the corps, but IMO, this hornline doesn't have that ability. There were major intonation problems, and the corps sounded very tired and worn down. There was NO power in the horns, who were clearly about as loud as Pioneer.

Does the guard follow their staff tightly? I remember the Colin McNutt thing with the drummers. Are guards just as tight with their staff?

I really can't say if they do, but it makes sense to me that the revolving door could get tiresome. There was an instance earlier this summer of a former guard member speaking to the guard staff turnover as the reason he didn't return.

Just in general, there's been so much flux with the Scouts that some blessed normalcy would be welcome. That's not something we can influence - which goes to your original question of "What can we do?" - but it is hopefully something Jeff will keep in mind.

Edited by Jim Anello

...all I ask of 2008 Madison is that all 15 extra spots go to the hornline. :P

Nuh-uhhhhh! NO.

YES. ^OO^

Oh, yeah....I forgot about them, can't not have plates out there!

Okay. Five plates and ten more horns then. :P

Nice recovery, Bawk. I put you back on my "like" list now...

close call though. :P