Best and/or favorite Cadets drumlines ever.

Hannum Years  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Prior to 1983

2. 2. Aungst Years

Someone talked the Cadets 89 line, so that motivated me to put up this topic.

I'm going to split mine into Hannum years/Aungst years.

Favorite Hannum line is going to be 1985.

Favorite Aungst line is, yep...1989 (his "rookie" year no less, as the writer and caption head).

Extreme honorable mention goes to Cadets 2005.

Thoughts?

(I did add 2007 to the poll since they've already been out there, but I'd say that'd have to fall under "favorites" because you really can't say if you think they're "best" until the whole season is done)

p.s. sorry, I messed up the poll a little. "prior to 1983" was supposed to be a choice, not a title. Guess it'll just be a Hannum years and Aungst years poll.

Edited by DaveH

Cadets had some great lines during the Hannum years, but the 87 line is the line that finally got the drumline off the 50 and marching like the rest of the corps. With that, plus the addition of Kevlars in 88, I would submit that from 87 to 88 DCI experienced the greatest single year of drumline progress in its history.

Cadets had some great lines during the Hannum years, but the 87 line is the line that finally got the drumline off the 50 and marching like the rest of the corps. With that, plus the addition of Kevlars in 88, I would submit that from 87 to 88 DCI experienced the greatest single year of drumline progress in its history.

Of course Cadets didn't use Kevlars themselves in 88, but many other lines did...

I thought the drumline was running around pretty good in 85 and 86 myself, you didn't think so?

About the drumhead thing, I wouldn't call that progress myself. I think kevlar sounds HORRIBLE...a step backwards musically imho.

I'll choose some perhaps unusual answers...

1988 -- such a difficult show all around for them, and I imagine it was pretty hard to write a battery book to that perhaps abstract horn book...and they were clean as crap on Finals

1997 -- a very aggressive drum book, lots of little drum breaks, a lot of power in those battery and pit books, hurts the ears if you turn it up too loud