To the 2007 Crossmen and their staff

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone -- thanks for these encouraging posts! The corps will really appreciate hearing about this thread. I aged out of Crossmen last year, but I have still been on board with the corps for a few weeks this summer, and I am flying out to CA on Thursday. I also agree that the Crossmen are on a good track, and after spending 4 years as a music ed student in Texas, it is obvious how thirsty this state has been for a Division I corps.

Keep cheering Bones on!

--Evan

Kash, those capes were made from scratch: black fabric, dowel rods, and a lot of hours spent with scissors and sewing machines. Props go out to Jerrice Barnes, a baritone mom, for heading up the project and taking weeks out of her own summer. Their cost (not a lot) was worth what the capes mean to the corps.

Edited by woodsbones

Kash, those capes were made from scratch: black fabric, dowel rods, and a lot of hours spent with scissors and sewing machines. Props go out to Jerrice Barnes, a baritone mom, for heading up the project and taking weeks out of her own summer. Their cost (not a lot) was worth what the capes mean to the corps.

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

I look forward to seeing them on Friday.

Thankfully, "continuity of heritage" is priority number one with the Crossmen Alumni Association, and has been for many years now. Even more thankful, the new administration is eager and more than willing to embrace that heritage. They've been incredible from the get-go in trying to learn all they can about the corps and its past, and to work with the alumni and the CAA on helping us to help them. There is a lot of hard work ahead for everyone involved, but there is so much about which to be encouraged. The pre-show was no accident. It's a huge "THANK YOU" to everyone who helped keep this drum corps alive when it probably could have faded away long ago. :)

very cool...nice to know how deep the effort goes. I bet someday this move will be seen as a really neat part of the heritage. How many corps can say they moved that far and succeeded. I can't wait to see where they go in the next few years.

Hey everyone -- thanks for these encouraging posts! The corps will really appreciate hearing about this thread. I aged out of Crossmen last year, but I have still been on board with the corps for a few weeks this summer, and I am flying out to CA on Thursday. I also agree that the Crossmen are on a good track, and after spending 4 years as a music ed student in Texas, it is obvious how thirsty this state has been for a Division I corps.

Keep cheering Bones on!

--Evan

Got an email this morning from Mark and Fred. The corps does know about this thread (someone sent to them) and they're actually printing it out and hanging it on the food truck today.

Thank you everyone for your support.

Edited by xbones7480

Got an email this morning from Mark and Fred. The corps does know about this thread (someone sent to them) and they're actually printing it out and hanging it on the food truck today.

Thank you everyone for your support.

Hope this really makes it to the food truck. If so, Crossmen, you are carrying on a tradition of which only a few can experience. Crossmen have always been one of my favorite corps. Best of luck for the rest of the season!!

Good luck this week Bones!!!!!!! I'm so proud of you guys!! Can't wait to see you on the big screen tomorrow night!!! Whoo hoo!

Well, they didn't place like I thought they would, but it's only the most competitive year ever and they're smack in the middle of possibly the most competitive section of the activity, so a very good accomplishment to be proud of--Texans and alumni!

Visited them in warm-up's at Dallas--I think that's when the capes were added. I'm assuming that b/c I hadn't heard ANYTHING about them on DCP previously and there they were! Got some video in warm-up arch and marching in.

I can't speak for the business side, but the on-field stuff speaks for itself--your corps is in good shape. Now it falls to alumnus and fans to kick in some dough to help ensure their future viability. And you need to start saying stuff on DCP like, "Gee, if all those Texans who marched Xmen this year would come back next year...I wonder what a VETERAN corps could do???"

Vets make a difference on the field. Texas has the talent, and now so does Bones (not a slam on previous versions), but Texans with a year or two of experience? Yikes!

I don't want to be a downer here, but wouldn't the capes cost much-needed money for it to not be in the show earning points?

Technically, Madison marching onto the field and ending in the shape of a fleur de lis (a la 94 and other years) doesn't win any points either. But what an effect it generates with the audience! Yeah, Bones' capes cost some bucks (probably a couple hundred bucks tops), but same effect. And they can be re-used for several years, I imagine, since they don't get a lot of use in the show.

Edited by silvertrombone