Cadets' narration....thoughts

George Hopkins, thank you for taking the time to post in this topic. I'm sure that Sam and I have different opinions regarding narration in drum corps, but since you were interested in his opinion, I'll list off a few reasons why I persnally despise of in a drum and bugle corps show:

-It isn't music. The most important part of any drum corps how is the music. That is all I expect to hear when I watch or listen to a drum corps show. When I hear something else, I am disappointed. I like drum corps because I like music, and that's all I want to hear. Most of my enjoyment of drum corps comes from listening to the audio portions of shows. When I sit down at my computer or get out my iPod or get in my car to listen to drum corps at full volume, I want to know that all I will be blasting is the unique form of drum corps music that is unlike anything else in the world.

John Cage (4'33") would disagree I'm sure...which is why we are all entitled to our opinion...and I respect yours.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really listen and watch the show...the narration is so perfectly placed that it is during downtimes in the music. It seems the score was written and the narration was just another musical line in the score.

Not quite....'Coats drop one short line and go from there...Cadets go on like a soliloquy from Shakespeare...THAT'S the difference.

Is it being performed well? Sure it is....Cadets' skill and precision is almost boring in it's consistency.

But I can;t enjoy it if 'YOU MUST ENJOY OUR SHOW....HERE'S WHY!!" is being screamed in my face.

I've been a participant and fan for near a quarter of a century...I don't LIKE feeling that I can't enjoy a show because the concept is being shoved down my throat. I've got a FEW functioning brain cells...I can figure it out without it being so in my face.

George Hopkins,

<snip>

Thanks,

Jordan "Hrothgar" Kay

Very nice post Jordan. Respectful, opinions presented from your perspective (i.e., not tossed out as absolute fact), examples/details provided rather than "Not Drum Corps" platitudes. Please try to post more like this in the future -- I think you'll find more opportunities for intelligent conversation/debate.

Maybe it's the iPhone ..... :P

They showed a picture of a member with a mic on him so i believe there are some people marching with them. The narration doesn't bother me at all. Theres only 3 shows left of the season just give up on it.

Edited by Silver_King

Not quite....'Coats drop one short line and go from there...Cadets go on like a soliloquy from Shakespeare...THAT'S the difference.

Is it being performed well? Sure it is....Cadets' skill and precision is almost boring in it's consistency.

But I can;t enjoy it if 'YOU MUST ENJOY OUR SHOW....HERE'S WHY!!" is being screamed in my face.

I've been a participant and fan for near a quarter of a century...I don't LIKE feeling that I can't enjoy a show because the concept is being shoved down my throat. I've got a FEW functioning brain cells...I can figure it out without it being so in my face.

Definitely...like the good old days of Star 93. Thanks for reminding me of that show...chicks with sticks. That show was too genius and the majority of the drum corps world hated it too. Nothing was shoved down anyones throat in that show.

Any narration should enhance the show (04 BD, 05 Cadets, 06 Xmen, 07 'Coats)...it should not BE the show.

Sam I think it is interesting you included 06 Xmen in your comment. IMO the voice used in that show was every bit as integrated into the show and as pervasive as the Cadets 07. It was also my favorite use of voice to date.

George, and the rest of the board, I want to share with you comments from my Aunt. She is a drum corps mom of the 80s. She has followed the activity since then and is responsible for why I fell in love with this activity.

Her comments from an email I received from her after she attended the Stanford show:

"...The Cadets won. Their show is hokey in the extreme with this stupid narration. I really didn't like it. (I know which show will be the bathroom break on Thursday!).."

Now I know you're smart enough to know that your show design this year was going to rub some of us fans the wrong way, but I'm not sure you knew to what extent.

My hopes is that if you/we have this dream of changing the activity through supersized corps, narration and otherwise, please don't lose sight of what's made this activity so great and what separates it from the others as the upper echelon of marching music.

Well, I've been around drum corps for 43 years, and I like their show.

It's not the narration that is driving you away, it's your inability to accept it. That's OK of course, you like what you like; I don't mean it as a negative on you. But if you can't accept something, it's not the fault of the 'something'.

As for the Cadets show, I disagree 100% with your assessment of their show. IMO the narration is overall written and performed better than most I have ever seen, band or corps.

I would respectfully disagree.

Bluecoats is by far the best example so far of using narration.

Crown and Pacific Crest are the current worst examples.

Cadets...I just don't know what to think. The whole show could not function without it...but for me...it's still too much talking. Too BOA. Too not drum corps. If this is trendsetting than I don't like the direction of the trend.

Again, you have in essence professional quality musicians, designers, etc. I mean Blast! proves that drum corps students have what it takes to be professionals hands down. The narration in the Cadets show is frankly not being performed in the most professional manner. Again, my opinion. But, I believe many who do not sip on George's koolaid wagon feel the same way.